Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2019 release from King Crimson of their 2003 album "The Power To Believe".
This new edition has been remixed in stereo and 5.1 surround by the band's manager and audio engineer David Singleton.
All new mixes were approved by the set’s Executive Producer Robert Fripp.

The 5.1 surround mix has been released as a CD/DVDA-V set, and it is also included on Blu-Ray within the 2019 box set "Heaven & Earth".

Plan9

600 Club - QQ All-Star
TPTB I is a good surround intro, then Level Five in 5.1 is a monster, that's a great start for the album. I'm less convinced by Eyes Wide Open, but Elektrik kicks some serious ass. Facts of Life is also powerful but some elements are not as well integrated as I wished. TPTB II is really cool, envelopping and very discrete. Dangerous Curves is amazing. The mix of Happy With... is appropriately "straightforward". TPTB III & IV are good but sound like they could have been mixed from stems.
The 3 bonus tracks are adequately envelopping, with a special mention to Superslow.

The sound quality is also overall better than on The ReconstruKction of Light.

9/10

Last edited:

albertop

TPTB I is a good surround intro, then Level Five in 5.1 is a monster, that's a great start for the album. I'm less convinced by Eyes Wide Open, but Elektrik kicks some serious ass. Facts of Life is also powerful but some elements are not as well integrated as I wished. TPTB II is really cool, envelopping and very discrete. Dangerous Curves is amazing. The mix of Happy With... is appropriately "straightforward". TPTB III & IV are good but sound like they could have been mixed from stems.
The 3 bonus tracks are adequately envelopping, with a special mention to Superslow.

The sound quality is also overall better than on The ReconstruKction of Light.

9/10
I quite agree with you. The sequence TPTB II - Dangerous Curves is amazing. I'd then give the silver medal to EleKtriK and the bronze medal to Level Five. I don't really like the bonus tracks to be honest, but I am not referring to the mix, the music isn't great for me.

I have a question for you: how do you understand that TPTB III and IV might have been mixed from stems? Is it because there are less discrete elements than in other tracks and are overall less envelopping?

Plan9

600 Club - QQ All-Star
I quite agree with you. The sequence TPTB II - Dangerous Curves is amazing. I'd then give the silver medal to EleKtriK and the bronze medal to Level Five. I don't really like the bonus tracks to be honest, but I am not referring to the mix, the music isn't great for me.

I have a question for you: how do you understand that TPTB III and IV might have been mixed from stems? Is it because there are less discrete elements than in other tracks and are overall less envelopping?
They're mainly mixed in Quad and it sounded like all they had was a couple of stereo tracks to mix from. I may be wrong, I'll have to listen again.

As for the bonus tracks, they are like a more relaxed epilogue to the album to me: not essential, but nice to continue the experience.

albertop

I've changed my mind and am now giving this surround mix a 9. It is very very powerful; it's growing on me. On top of my previous comment, I've also noticed that Facts of Life works incredibly well in surround. It's really a great mix. Congrats to Singleton!

rugene

I prefer the content musically of PTB over COL but both mixes are great! The surprise song that I didn't know is the dark track "Superslow". I really enjoy that one