Kiss Creatures Of The Night (40th Anniversary Super Deluxe) Atmos and 5.1 mixes out in November

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He did the 2013 5.1 mix of The Who's Tommy (with Bob Pridden) and the recent 5.1 & Atmos mixes of Gilbert O'Sullivan's Driven.

Jonathan, thanks for that information as I have the 2003 DVDA of Tommy(Pete Townshend mix) and wasn't aware that 2013 bluray mix was a different mix done by Richard Whittaker.
Not trying to hijack Kiss thread but here is the thread if anyone else missed out on discussion like I did.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...so-after-20-9-years-whats-the-decision.31694/
Ok, back to Kiss discussion.

We have 2 of these in stock, it sure looks nice and I am tempted, but like others I wish they had done either Love Gun or Rock N Roll Over (even Dynasty which I love), I'm sure other Kiss titles will get the box set treatment in time
316197812_532656992207764_8094652176047025092_n.jpg

We have 2 of these in stock, it sure looks nice and I am tempted, but like others I wish they had done either Love Gun or Rock N Roll Over (even Dynasty which I love), I'm sure other Kiss titles will get the box set treatment in time View attachment 85527
I have to admit the box set looks great by design. Got to love the Parental Advisory hype sticker. That’s an advertisement for the younger generation to, BUY NOW!

Excuse me if this is an ignorant question, but I keep reading "The Blu-ray Audio disc showcases a first-ever Atmos and 5.1 surround mix". How many channels does the atmos mix have?

Atmos for home systems supports 16 speakers but it can contain 128 movable/fixed ‘objects’ that are rendered during playback to appear to be between fixed speaker positions (like the phantom centre in a stereo mix).

Typical home Atmos systems have 10 (5.1.4 layout) or 12 (7.1.4 layout) speakers (Layout format = floor.subwoofer.top)

Excuse me if this is an ignorant question, but I keep reading "The Blu-ray Audio disc showcases a first-ever Atmos and 5.1 surround mix". How many channels does the atmos mix have?
I have a full Atmos system.
My speaker layout is 5 on the floor, Front Left, Center, Front Right plus Rear right and Rear left. These 5 speakers would be your typical surround system.
My Atmos enabled speakers are 4 in the ceiling, two in celling in front of my head and two in ceiling in back of my head.
I have 3 subwoofers, one left front LFE connected, one opposite corner rear of room LFE connected and the 3rd front right, not LFE connected but connected to center speaker terminals.
This would be considered a 5.2.4 surround sound system. The 3rd sub connected to the center channel does not count in the equation as it is not LFE connected.
Keep asking questions, there are many smart people here and welcome to the club.

Well, the thread is about Creatures of the Night so if i'm diverting just shove me to another thread. What I don't seem to be able to find the answer to is if Atmos is channel based or speaker based. To put it another way is it like Ambisonics in that the more speakers you have the better, but objects aren't actually sent to particular channels? It sounds like it's channel based.

My Atmos enabled speakers are 4 in the ceiling, two in celling in front of my head and two in ceiling in back of my head.
Just a slight correction in Atmos terminology, ;)

"Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers direct sound upward and reflect off the ceiling to produce incredibly lifelike, overhead sound. There are two kinds of Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers:

• Integrated units that also include traditional, forward-firing speakers
  • Add-on modules, containing only the upward-firing elements, that sit on top of your current speakers or on a nearby surface
A soundbar enabled with Dolby Atmos includes upward-firing speakers."

I went from a 5.1.2 Atmos system to 7.1.4 & the difference is like night and day.
This is 7 speakers at "ear level", a sub, and 4 overhead speakers.
My overhead speakers are configured/placed as Top Middle and Top Rear.
Some of my favorite Atmos Blu-Rays are xPropaganda's "The Heart Is Strange", Hans Zimmer "Live In Prague" & Kenny Wayne Shepherd "The Traveler".

As for Kiss...well not a huge fan of this album.

I went from a 5.1.2 Atmos system to 7.1.4 & the difference is like night and day.
I'm at 5.2.4, wish I had the room for the surround rear base level speakers but just no way.
I do believe 4 overheads is very important for good Atmos reproduction.
How can you hope to do good stuff like flyovers, etc with only 2 speakers up there?

I'm at 5.2.4, wish I had the room for the surround rear base level speakers but just no way.
I do believe 4 overheads is very important for good Atmos reproduction.
How can you hope to do good stuff like flyovers, etc with only 2 speakers up there?
Yeah, I agree completely, Sal.
As you may have seen in some of my posts, my main Onkyo AVR only does 5.1.2 decoding/amplifying. With the addition of an old 5.1 analog input Sherwood AVR linked by ASIO4ALL I was able to set the Onkyo for 7.1 output and drive the 4 overheads with the Sherwood (which actually has more power but I tune the volume by ear). So anyway using the Dolby Reference Player I can decode an Atmos DD+ or THD stream in glorious 12 channels.
What an improvement over the 5.1.2!

Of course the drawback is I can't use PowerDVD to listen to content/watch concerts in 7.1.4 because it and other apps won't let you use the ASIO driver.
Still looking hard at that Onkyo TX-RZ50 though, 9 amplified channels but processing for 11 so I can pre-out to the Sherwood and still have 7.1.4 but all processing done in the RZ50.

You of course pointed me to the extensive online review at audiosciencereview.com and I am impressed enough. Plus 120w/ch 2 channels driven is better than similar priced models with 100w/ch. No 360RA processing like the Denons though.
Now just got to find a way to pony up $1600 AND get a new roof on the domicile. Working on it....!

Back to the Kiss, still not their best IMO but maybe get a chance to listen and see if Atmos improves my opinion.

I finally finally bought this, my first impressions:
The Positive - It's a great package , the 80 page Hardback book is fantastic, very insightful with great pics etc.. and the other stuff is very cool absolutely no complaints there , the out-takes/demos discs are superb and worth hearing and the live show is a good representation of the band from the era
The Negative - the 5.1 mix is VERY quiet (I cannot comment on the Atmos mix) I had to ramp the volume up way high , and the surround mix is very poor on first hearing , very disappointing , the video for I Love It Loud is included on the Blu-Ray and is as good quality as you can ask for (and in 5.1)
Listening again to the live show as I type this, cool show

the 5.1 mix is VERY quiet (I cannot comment on the Atmos mix)
Same with Atmos. I’ve never had to turn up a disc so much on my receiver to hear it at a comfortable room level, to say nothing of how much louder I have to turn it up to have the room shake just a bit.

The Stereo mix is “normal” level-wise... just the two surround mixes that are low.

I agree on the package itself. I barely look at all the paper stuff once much less multiple times. But it does look impressive and feels like they don’t cut corners there.

Haven’t listened to any of the other music content yet beyond the Atmos/5.1/Stereo disc.

Same with Atmos. I’ve never had to turn up a disc so much on my receiver to hear it at a comfortable room level, to say nothing of how much louder I have to turn it up to have the room shake just a bit.

The Stereo mix is “normal” level-wise... just the two surround mixes that are low.

I agree on the package itself. I barely look at all the paper stuff once much less multiple times. But it does look impressive and feels like they don’t cut corners there.

Haven’t listened to any of the other music content yet beyond the Atmos/5.1/Stereo disc.
It's ridiculously quiet! as you said the Stereo mix is fine, it's weird , mastering fault?

It's ridiculously quiet! as you said the Stereo mix is fine, it's weird , mastering fault?
It looks like the culprit is dialnorm - most Atmos discs are set at -31 dBFS, but this one shows as -18 dBFS in the Dolby Reference Player. Someone wasn't paying attention when they converted the ADM masters to Dolby TrueHD.

Back