KISS "Destroyer" Box Set with Blu-Ray (Steven Wilson 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes out soon!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think you will ever see this in the bargain bins. I bet this sold just fine, as there are MANY MANY die-hard Kiss junkies out there that would swoop this box up, even at the list price, for all the swag within. And probably 99% of them have neither the setup nor the interest in the Atmos mix.

That being said, there are user reviews of the Atmos mix out there, both within this thread and over at the Steve Hoffman site, you will just have to dig for them. Or, of course, you can listen for yourself on Apple Music.
I think the intended point was that, since there were only 3 votes at a website devoted to multichannel releases, that it is obvious that they priced this box set so high that it dissuaded the very people that would care about such a mix from buying it. (Much like is going to happen with the Moving Pictures box.)

I agree with you that it will probably never appear in the bargain bins, but with Kiss' history of never leaving any money on the table, it would not surprise me if they eventually release it as a stand-alone bluray or maybe just music only package without all the swag. I am not holding my breath though.

That's a Bob Ezrin thing. He has never been one to heavily mic the drums. Two mics at most. Jimmy Page produced Bonham's drums in a similar fashion.
Never a fan of Zep's drum sound. That's why I wish someone other than Page would have had a go at some of their re-issues.

Never a fan of Zep's drum sound. That's why I wish someone other than Page would have had a go at some of their re-issues.

A remaster isn't going to change the sound of Bonham's drums. Personally, I think his drum sound is terrific. In fact, the more mics, the worse the drums sound imo.

In fact, the more mics, the worse the drums sound imo.

More mics isn't necessarily a bad thing, though it depends on what you're going for (and opens up more possibilities with regards to multichannel) - phase cancellation can become an issue though, it's critical to check the individual components of the kit against the overheads for loss of low-end.

A remaster isn't going to change the sound of Bonham's drums. Personally, I think his drum sound is terrific. In fact, the more mics, the worse the drums sound imo.
I love his drum sound too and apparently, so do a lot of others. Furthermore I had read somewhere that the first thing Jimmy worked on when setting up for a recording session was the sound of the drums.

I love his drum sound too and apparently, so do a lot of others. Furthermore I had read somewhere that the first thing Jimmy worked on when setting up for a recording session was the sound of the drums.
It's a legendary, iconic sound. Doesn't mean everyone will be a fan of it. I sure as hell am lol.

More mics isn't necessarily a bad thing, though it depends on what you're going for (and opens up more possibilities with regards to multichannel) - phase cancellation can become an issue though, it's critical to check the individual components of the kit against the overheads for loss of low-end.

I do agree that there are some bands and producers who do a fine job of miking up every drum and such. For my tastes, I prefer less mics, but YMMV, for sure.

knifeman's comment is the first one I have seen where there was dissatisfaction with Zeppelin's drum sound, but everyone's ears are different.

I guess you'd go with a condenser with the biggest diaphragm possible, but maybe some engineer types can bestow some knowledge on us.

Condensers as overheads is fairly typical, though sometimes I find they pick up a bit too much high-end in the cymbals. You can see a spaced pair of Neumann U87s hanging over Nick D'Virgilio's kit in Big Big Train's Stone & Steel concert video. Another example would be the spaced pair of AKG C414s hanging over Gavin Harrison's kit in The Pineapple Thief's Nothing But The Truth.

The last session I was at used a pair of Coles 4038 ribbon mics as overheads - it sounded great, more low-end response and less bite to the cymbals.

Condensers as overheads is fairly typical, though sometimes I find they pick up a bit too much high-end in the cymbals. You can see a spaced pair of Neumann U87s hanging over Nick D'Virgilio's kit in Big Big Train's Stone & Steel concert video. Another example would be the spaced pair of AKG C414s hanging over Gavin Harrison's kit in The Pineapple Thief's Nothing But The Truth.

The last session I was at used a pair of Coles 4038 ribbon mics as overheads - it sounded great, more low-end response and less bite to the cymbals.
What would you choose if you were allowed only ONE mic for the drum kit? In an ideal space.

Most drum recordings are 95% of the sound from a pair of condenser mics overhead and a kick mic. Spot mics are usually treated as optional and sometimes not ever used. The punchy 'rawk' music thing might be an exception that puts more spot mics in the mix. The main sound still comes from the overhead pair.

I usually like large diaphragm condenser mics. Go small condenser though if large is too much girth.

Drum kits are really mostly stereo mic'd things. Or even a single mono overhead and kick sometimes.

"A mic is a mic..." Very much no! :D
In fact a lot of mic'ing can be more about what it doesn't pick up than what it does. But that's another subject.

PS. The secret to getting good balance on the cymbals is a drummer that freakin knows how to play their kit in balance!!!!

That explains any issues with the drums on Destroyer
Haha!

So I bought Kiss Alive when I was in 4th grade. I remember TV ads and they were suddenly this cool thing. Remember that TV movie? I don't remember a lot about what I thought of them. I think I found it kind of boring compared to my Black Sabbath albums, honestly. I never had Destroyer and listened to it and knew all the nuance.

There are some moments in here for sure but this mostly sounds like this pop caricature band falling apart at the seams! The drums sound like... a struggle. I think this mix has their back as much as humanly possible. The cartoonish pop element and some dated production style that ended up a little seat of the pants sticks out a bit in a weird way. They're trying to look like this punk street image kind of group but going for pop cliche in the music. The AM radio ballad really jumps the shark with that.

Back