KISS "Destroyer" Box Set with Blu-Ray (Steven Wilson 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes out soon!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would check your AVR settings. It could be that your setup thinks you have 4 height speakers instead of 2, or that you maybe have your speakers connected to the wrong terminals? Just speculating. What AVR do you have?

I have an Onkyo TX NR686. I'll check the settings as you suggest, and the speaker connections on my next day off.

I have an Onkyo TX NR686. I'll check the settings as you suggest, and the speaker connections on my next day off.
The back panel on that AVR suggests you can have either a 7.1 setup or 5.1.2, and you probably have to specify in the menus how you are using those last 2 channels. That would be my guess as to where your problem is. (Sorry mods for the off-topic tangent, not sure where else to take the discussion.)

The back panel on that AVR suggests you can have either a 7.1 setup or 5.1.2, and you probably have to specify in the menus how you are using those last 2 channels. That would be my guess as to where your problem is. (Sorry mods for the off-topic tangent, not sure where else to take the discussion.)
Hi, thanks for your reply, had a quick look, and it's definitely set up for 5.1.2, but I'm going to re-calibrate when I get a chance, to see if maybe I haven't got the surround speakers at a loud enough setting.

Can anyone help me with a problem I'm having playing this? I can play Atmos movies no problem, but with this disc, I'm pretty sure I'm not hearing it the way it's meant to be. For instance Gene's 'Get Ups' are buried way back in the mix, and even worse the twin guitar solo is barely audible.
I do only have a 5.1.2 system, so wonder if that's the problem, but if it can cope with blu ray movies, why not this?
I've checked the settings on my Oppo 203, and it's set to bitstream, and my receiver, Onkyo TX NR 686,is showing Atmos when the disc is playing.
When I switch the sound mode from Atmos to 'All Channel Stereo' the missing sounds appear.
The problem occurs on the other two surround mixes as well.
Any advice appreciated.
(y) Welcome to the QQ forum @Warbz63

Thanks for the replies.I do feel stupid, it was as easy as whacking up the front and rear surrounds to full volume in order to get the missing sounds!
I think this is one where it will take a while to get used to the surround mixes, having had the stereo mix since 1976!
Also doesn't sound right having the guitar solo coming out of the rear speakers to me on the Dolby and DTS mixes, but maybe I'll get used to it.
So far the Atmos mix wins, but I like the bass sound better on the Dolby mix.

I have this. Only thing lacking is bass. Sounds like a phase issue? Nothing below 150hz? Lower frequencies seem gone, just like Tears for fears. Everything else is great. I do not even like Kiss but they did write some good songs. I think Gene would freak if he heard this with the anemic bass LOL

I have this. Only thing lacking is bass. Sounds like a phase issue? Nothing below 150hz? Lower frequencies seem gone, just like Tears for fears. Everything else is great. I do not even like Kiss but they did write some good songs. I think Gene would freak if he heard this with the anemic bass LOL

Which Tears for Fears are you having an issue with?

I’d say the bass response is sufficient on the 5.1 mix, maybe not spectacular but at least as good as the original stereo version.

Atmos mix on latest Blu Ray. Sounds like a phase issue, same as Destroyer. Both have next to no lower frequencies. No weight in lower end.
I don't have Destroyer, but I've listened to it on Apple Music and I'm with you on the somewhat weak lower frequencies. Played the whole of Tipping Point last night and there's deep low and defined bass on my setup, sounds very good to me.

I don't have Destroyer, but I've listened to it on Apple Music and I'm with you on the somewhat weak lower frequencies. Played the whole of Tipping Point last night and there's deep low and defined bass on my setup, sounds very good to me.
Tipping point 5.1 is great. Is that what you mean?

Atmos mix on latest Blu Ray. Sounds like a phase issue, same as Destroyer. Both have next to no lower frequencies. No weight in lower end.

fwiw, i tried the Apple Music streaming Dolby Atmos offerings of both Destroyer and The Tipping Point and both had more low bass when i flipped the Phase switch on my Sub (from "Normal" to "Reverse")

Tipping point 5.1 is great. Is that what you mean?
No, I ment the Atmos mix on my 7.2.4 setup. I never play the 5.1 if there's a Atmos mix on the disc. :cool: Calibrated with Audessey and then I raise the volume for the subs 2-3db as I feel Audessey sets them a little low.

No, I ment the Atmos mix on my 7.2.4 setup. I never play the 5.1 if there's a Atmos mix on the disc. :cool: Calibrated with Audessey and then I raise the volume for the subs 2-3db as I feel Audessey sets them a little low.
If I switch between ATmos and 5.1, then raise volume about 6db the programmed kicks, bass almost dissapear. You can hear them but the feeling of the bass weight evaporates compared to 5.1.

If I switch between ATmos and 5.1, then raise volume about 6db the programmed kicks, bass almost dissapear. You can hear them but the feeling of the bass weight evaporates compared to 5.1.
Well, I don't want more low bass then I have, so I'll stick with the Atmos. ;)

I don't hear any noticeable difference between the Atmos and the 5.1 (in the bass department). Perhaps, it's a system calibration issue?
They do sound different for other mixing choices, that's fair to say.

Back