KISS "Destroyer" Box Set with Blu-Ray (Steven Wilson 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes out soon!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was a fan of KISS from about 14-17 years of age. I liked their early albums and the Alive album. I would never denigrate anybody else's fandom, but I have zero interest in this release.

Hate them if you want, but KISS pretty much change what a concert experience became. Before KISS, most artists came onstage dressed in whatever clothes they put on that morning, stood motionless onstage and just played their instruments.

um, no

Little Richard, Elton John, David Bowie, Pink Floyd, Yes, Jimi Hendrix, etc all had outlandish concerts well before KISS

I seem to be the odd man out here. I was and still am a big KISS fan. Been one since the first album. I have seen them over a dozen times over the years. Yes, the $200 price tag is too high, but for once I think all the extra posters, stickers, etc. in this box are pretty cool, especially the recreated original KISS Army kit.

Hate them if you want, but KISS pretty much change what a concert experience became. Before KISS, most artists came onstage dressed in whatever clothes they put on that morning, stood motionless onstage and just played their instruments. Even Mick Jagger just stood at the mic before KISS. KISS brought the circus to the stage. Just about every big artist that came after had to up their game. Even Pop & Country acts had to give the audience more than just them standing onstage under a spotlight. Heck, even Garth Brooks came onstage swing from a rope.

Yes, they are a marketing monster, but I had the pleasure of hanging out with them for a short period because the distribution company I worked for had the Symphony record. They were super nice to me and the fans & account people we brought to meet them after the shows. If you haven't watched the latest documentary they did recently you should check it out. I thought they were surprisingly honest about what albums they were proud of and which ones they weren't.

I like KISS. And they did rewrite the script on how to put on a show. 60 flashpots ? But prior Circus Master Alice Cooper was in makeup and infinite props and staging before KISS. Just sayin

um, no

Little Richard, Elton John, David Bowie, Pink Floyd, Yes, Jimi Hendrix, etc all had outlandish concerts well before KISS

Ya Think!

R.e3df28c96bb68c2652011e8c028dcd29

R.d976125bead9938b94c3dd033f060178

See the source image

R.c01b55b9482aa989594d7d83d19a5f3e

KISS OFF!

Last edited:
I seem to be the odd man out here. I was and still am a big KISS fan. Been one since the first album. I have seen them over a dozen times over the years. Yes, the $200 price tag is too high, but for once I think all the extra posters, stickers, etc. in this box are pretty cool, especially the recreated original KISS Army kit.

Hate them if you want, but KISS pretty much change what a concert experience became. Before KISS, most artists came onstage dressed in whatever clothes they put on that morning, stood motionless onstage and just played their instruments. Even Mick Jagger just stood at the mic before KISS. KISS brought the circus to the stage. Just about every big artist that came after had to up their game. Even Pop & Country acts had to give the audience more than just them standing onstage under a spotlight. Heck, even Garth Brooks came onstage swing from a rope.

Yes, they are a marketing monster, but I had the pleasure of hanging out with them for a short period because the distribution company I worked for had the Symphony record. They were super nice to me and the fans & account people we brought to meet them after the shows. If you haven't watched the latest documentary they did recently you should check it out. I thought they were surprisingly honest about what albums they were proud of and which ones they weren't.
You are WAY OUT OF BOUNDS!! How about Alice Cooper, Led Zeppelin, Iggy Pop & The Stooges. David Bowie, Queen, Jimi Hendrix and the list goes on!! Hey I like KISS as well, but before you go making accusations like that do your FING homework!!!!

I still don't see Mick further than maybe 10 feet from the mic stand. Compare that to the 80's shows where he is running across 40 foot stages during the entire show.
I don't think they had wireless mics in 1964. Someone would have gotten hurt if he tried to run 40 feet across the stage. I also think the stages got much bigger over the years.

With that said, Kiss was the first concert I ever went to (Dec 77 - ACDC opened, it was their first tour in the US). I have most of their albums but, if I want to listen to them, there is a 99% chance it's one of their pre-80 albums. Destroyer is probably at the top of the list. Still $200 is ridiculous (to me at least).

um, no

I guess I missed those acts using explosions, fireballs, blood & fire spitting, 800+ spotlights, etc. Agreed that some the artist you mentioned wore "costumes" or make-up. Bowie was probably closest with costumes and Alice with stage props.

I guess I missed those acts using explosions, fireballs, blood & fire spitting, 800+ spotlights, etc. Agreed that some the artist you mentioned wore "costumes" or make-up. Bowie was probably closest with costumes and Alice with stage props.
Whatever….BLAH, BLAH, BLAH….keep spewing your BS🤮

PS: KISS put on a great show no doubt but they are more like a 3 ring circus….Rocks answer to Barnum & Bailey, but again they were not the original Rock showmen

The 3 ring circus effect is exactly what I was talking about. Without the make-up, without the costumes, without the effects, without the light show and without the stage show would KISS even had gotten a record deal in in 1974? If they did, would would any of the record buying public even noticed them? Their first record is very basic RnR. (Not saying it isn't good.) And I am not saying they were the first acts to do any of those things. Calm down and have a cold gin. :)

Like many, I'd buy this as a standalone bluray for about $30, but the box set thing is too much. Beyond that, it's KISS and not somebody like Pink Floyd. Steven Wilson or not, I just can't imagine that a KISS surround experience is going to be that sonically interesting.
I don't know about that. The fact that Bob Ezrin produced the album, there is a bit more depth and even some orchestration, than most of their other albums. I think it will sound awesome, just not worth $200.

Kiss had a huge fan base back in the day, but there were also plenty of musicians at my college who dismissed them. “Do you like Kiss?” “Yes, they play 3 of my favorite chords.” I never had much interest for them but didn’t hate them either. My high school band mate always insisted we should try to have a stage show like Kiss, if and when we were popular enough or had enough money and the right venue and any fans. He would even practice wretching up air blood at the right time during a song determined we would be prepared for that day we could finally afford stage blood, and he looked like he was coughing up a hair ball. This was one influential band.

When I heard about this and the fact that SW was remixing, I was interested in buying, but I will wait for the price to come down. Upon seeing the price, it was my turn to cough up a hair ball. Needs to be about half the list price before I am in, maybe lower.

Kiss had a huge fan base back in the day, but there were also plenty of musicians at my college who dismissed them. “Do you like Kiss?” “Yes, they play 3 of my favorite chords.” I never had much interest for them but didn’t hate them either. My high school band mate always insisted we should try to have a stage show like Kiss, if and when we were popular enough or had enough money and the right venue and any fans. He would even practice wretching up air blood at the right time during a song determined we would be prepared for that day we could finally afford stage blood, and he looked like he was coughing up a hair ball. This was one influential band.

When I heard about this and the fact that SW was remixing, I was interested in buying, but I will wait for the price to come down. Upon seeing the price, it was my turn to cough up a hair ball. Needs to be about half the list price before I am in, maybe lower.

so I'm 9 years old living in Denver and the elementary school said lets have an air band contest. Me and my other 9 year old idiot friends said: "Kiss, sounds good to me". I got Ace because Gene was already picked but you can bet your ass that stage performance at 9 in FULL makeup was one of the highlights of my life. Think Mickey Rourke in The Wrestler as he goes thru the meat cutting/deli curtains in the supermarket to the cheers of past performances lol

my point is I was 9 years old, not a grown adult

Like many, I'd buy this as a standalone bluray for about $30, but the box set thing is too much. Beyond that, it's KISS and not somebody like Pink Floyd. Steven Wilson or not, I just can't imagine that a KISS surround experience is going to be that sonically interesting.
I’ll wait til the reviews come out, then make up my mind. This could well be SW’s TRIUMPH for getting more Hard & Classic rock into this format BIG TIME!! Let’s hope so

What are the odds that Simons & Stanley gave SW free reign mixing this?

Maybe they will rework their famous intro line to market the 5.1.

“You wanted the best and you got the best!
The hottest 5.1 mixer in the land!
WILSON!”

Back