KISS "Destroyer" Box Set with Blu-Ray (Steven Wilson 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes out soon!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whatever….BLAH, BLAH, BLAH….keep spewing your BS🤮

PS: KISS put on a great show no doubt but they are more like a 3 ring circus….Rocks answer to Barnum & Bailey, but again they were not the original Rock showmen
Bro, you need to chill. Wagon is entitled to his opinion and if it differs from yours, there’s no need to get antagonistic about it.

I don't know about that. The fact that Bob Ezrin produced the album, there is a bit more depth and even some orchestration, than most of their other albums. I think it will sound awesome, just not worth $200.
I went back and listened to it (actually, the 2012 remix of it) yesterday and you are correct. The beginning of Detroit Rock City, the children in God Of Thunder, the orchestration bits in Beth, and some other stuff throughout. There is more depth there than I thought, but I still don't think it's interesting enough to warrant the purchase (which you and I are in agreement about). This would be a more straightforward mix, I think, maybe like the Elton John ones, which are great. But I also think more is going on in the Elton songs than the Kiss songs. But there is a nostalgia factor for many on this, which I understand. They were a little before my time, but I do remember spinning this record when I was a little older (my older brother had it), and I definitely remember playing as members of Kiss on the playground (everybody wanted to be Gene, of course) and the Phantom of the Park movie, etc...

KISS SHOP exclusive?!
If this doesn't find its way to Amazon etc. at a cheaper price on release day, when they find they didn't sell as many as they hoped at $200, I expect the excess copies will hit the Amazon Marketplace at significantly reduced prices, even if it is months later. I will probably wait it out if it goes this way.

If this doesn't find its way to Amazon etc. at a cheaper price on release day, when they find they didn't sell as many as they hoped at $200, I expect the excess copies will hit the Amazon Marketplace at significantly reduced prices, even if it is months later. I will probably wait it out if it goes this way.
Or they could just sell it from their website at a reduced price like GnR did.

As a huge Kiss and Wilson mix fan, this was an instant buy for me but I really hope this us just the start of a deluxe campaign. As Gene's Vault proved, there are lots of worthy demos that are fun to listen too. Destroyer is one of my least favorite Kiss albums but I get why they started here.

Speaking of GnR’s set….started off at $1000 now $400 a 60% price drop…I bet the dude who came up with the Uber Box idea lost his job
Nah, I bet the box cost less than $100 per unit to produce, and they made enough on the first few sold to virtually guarantee a profit, and are still making plenty at $400. (I have no actual knowledge of this, just guesstimating what the markup must have been.)

So if you go into Amazon in the "CD & Vinyl" department and type in Kiss Destroyer it comes back with several entries for 45th Anniversary.
Might that be an indicator that it will show up on Amazon eventually? How would the search come back if it wasn't in the data base?

kiss destroyer.jpg

So if you go into Amazon in the "CD & Vinyl" department and type in Kiss Destroyer it comes back with several entries for 45th Anniversary.
Might that be an indicator that it will show up on Amazon eventually? How would the search come back if it wasn't in the data base?

View attachment 71971
I think Amazon catalogues terms that are searched, rather than only what is listed for sale. If enough people search for it, it becomes an autocomplete suggestion.

The 3 ring circus effect is exactly what I was talking about. Without the make-up, without the costumes, without the effects, without the light show and without the stage show would KISS even had gotten a record deal in in 1974? If they did, would would any of the record buying public even noticed them? Their first record is very basic RnR. (Not saying it isn't good.) And I am not saying they were the first acts to do any of those things. Calm down and have a cold gin. :)

I think you're understating both Kiss's chances and the influence of other acts.

Black Diamond from their first album definitely would have been a standout no matter what. Also remember that the Rock market/LP market at the time was still expanding quickly, so they may still have gotten an initial record deal without the theatrics.

I'd readily agree that the theatrics and live show experience sustained them through some pretty meager album sales until "Alive" hit the market. At the same time, let's not pretend they waltzed into an environment where rock concerts as an over-the-top spectacle had never happened before. Prog was in full swing when their first album dropped, and Alice Cooper's lead singer had been getting mock-executed on stage in an electric chair back in 1971. Diving further into the Three Ring Circus, an incident where the future Alice Cooper reportedly bit a chicken's head off and drank its blood on stage happened back in 1969. Reportedly that did not actually happen, but it became legend nonetheless.

Back