Quad LP/Tape Poll Klemmer, John: Waterfalls [QS]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Waterfalls"

• 10: Great Sound, Great Mix, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5: So-so

• 1: Bad Sound, Bad Mix, Bad Content

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Impulse!/ABC AS-9220, from 1972.]

Side 1:

1. Prelude 1
2. Waterfall I
3. Utopia: Man's Dream Part 1
4. Utopia: Man's Dream Part 2

Side 2:

1. There's Some Light Ahead
2. Centrifugal Force
3. Prelude II
4. Waterfall II

ED :)

I gave this an 8, mainly based on the mix. Klemmer was blowing like Coltrane, or trying to, at this point. This is NOT the mellow sound of Touch. If you dig jazz, this one is not to be missed.

Linda

Absolutely spot on, Linda! During this period Klemmer was indeed trying (and failing--interestingly so) to be a junior Trane which, as we know, was an admirable but foolish waste of time. But the album, in spite of that, is very appealing, the mix decent, and his love for his wife, his music, and the world around him is presented so honestly that it's a kind of music I know is bland and pretentious, but can't help listen to every now and then.

My regret is that the natural extension of that love--TOUCH, his only moderately successful crossover album (for ABC, Impulse! was pretty much dead by 1975)--was not issued in quad, as it was clearly recorded so well and the music so perfectly designed for the format that it's depressing ABC didn't put it out at least in Q8 form. On that album, Klemmer seemed to understand his limitations and yes, overdid the Echoplex thing. But he did toss away most of his Trane references, and (for me, anyway) was more like Stan Getz in his commercial prime: relaxed, cool, confident, assured. [Also, this was my primo make-out album of the time, and my future wife always associates TOUCH with a very romantic drive we once took on a PA/NY/CT interstate, where she fell asleep smiling, resting her head on my right shoulder, to John's sensuous sounds].

Yes, Ed, Touch and a loving partner enhance romance. Most girls of a certain age will also respond favorably to Best of Bread CD-4, or the first Cecilio & Kapono in 2ch on Columbia. Sensual stuff that can help turn on your lady! Oh, and tell her, tell her she's lovely.

Linda
People Are So Beautiful In Love

Absolutely spot on, Linda! During this period Klemmer was indeed trying (and failing--interestingly so) to be a junior Trane which, as we know, was an admirable but foolish waste of time. But the album, in spite of that, is very appealing, the mix decent, and his love for his wife, his music, and the world around him is presented so honestly that it's a kind of music I know is bland and pretentious, but can't help listen to every now and then.

My regret is that the natural extension of that love--TOUCH, his only moderately successful crossover album (for ABC, Impulse! was pretty much dead by 1975)--was not issued in quad, as it was clearly recorded so well and the music so perfectly designed for the format that it's depressing ABC didn't put it out at least in Q8 form. On that album, Klemmer seemed to understand his limitations and yes, overdid the Echoplex thing. But he did toss away most of his Trane references, and (for me, anyway) was more like Stan Getz in his commercial prime: relaxed, cool, confident, assured. [Also, this was my primo make-out album of the time, and my future wife always associates TOUCH with a very romantic drive we once took on a PA/NY/CT interstate, where she fell asleep smiling, resting her head on my right shoulder, to John's sensuous sounds].

Back