Kodi: Creating your own Disc Art

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerJAU

Moderator: MCH Media Players
Staff member
For a while I have been making my own disc art (image of the actual disc) to display during playback using skins that support disc art, such as Aeon Nox Silvo. I only make my own if I can’t find something on Fanart.tv website or I want an exact copy of one of my favourite albums. Anyway it’s a chore as I needed to use special software and templates to create a transparent mask for everything outside the circular disc perimeter background. It’s been a pain in the...

Late this week I discovered (by accident) that I don’t need to create the image with the transparent background. As long as you trim the image to the 4 edges of the disc it still displays in Kodi as a circular image. I actually rescale the square image as 1000px x 1000px which is the recommended size but the skins auto scale the image to fit anyway.

Basically, create a png file named discart.png and open it Paint or some other free simple graphics app, open it and trim the edges back to just touch the tangents, save, copy it to your album folder. Bang! It shows and rotates perfectly. This is in Aeon Nox Silvo, I don’t know it it works in other skins, it appears Silvo has its on built in mask for transparency.

I hope this helps others.

Edit: Added this screenshot showing an example of the spinning disc art image under the cover:
QQLogo5.png

Last edited:
Good post.

I scan all my discs that are not found on discogs and Kodi still dispalys the round circular image despite they are jpg with four edges with no transparancy. Such a great skin!

Back