Kompendium - Beneath The Waves mixed in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all. The album will be available through Amazon, but they don't allow pre-orders unless we stock via them, which is expensive for us. There's no major involved here :)

Keep an eye out here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beneath-Wav...1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1348919891&sr=1-1-catcorr

I've been speaking to Rob, and he's well up for a Q&A or something similar via this forum. This weekend is taken up by a festival, but once this weekend is out of the way, time should be a bit easier to come by to organise something. In the meantime, thanks for your interest and support

www.kompendium-web.com

Welcome to the site and thanks for joining up. I'm sure the membership would love to ask a few questions whenever you guys have the time.

I hope the music has got the surround treatment that it deserves.
I've been searching out articles about Rob Reed's surround mixes and the ones that I've found clearly indicate that he knows how to mix 5.1. You can check out this poll:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...enta-Metamorphosis-Collection-(DVD-DD5-1-Mix)

You'll have to weed out the non-evaluation comments but obviously the Metamorphosis mix is great. The Kompendium hi-rez surround mix should be wonderful.

I've been searching out articles about Rob Reed's surround mixes and the ones that I've found clearly indicate that he knows how to mix 5.1. You can check out this poll:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...enta-Metamorphosis-Collection-(DVD-DD5-1-Mix)

You'll have to weed out the non-evaluation comments but obviously the Metamorphosis mix is great. The Kompendium hi-rez surround mix should be wonderful.

The Magenta mixes are great - the sound quality could be better though - they sound a bit thin....

Now ordered the CD/DVD, just in time for the first shipment, I think.
Hey - FYI - There are three magenta discs:
[..]
Chameleon
I missed that and there was something with joining a project web site (hosted on MobileMe, which is closed now).
However I see that it can now easily be ordered through the magenta shop.

I got this email today:

Kompendium UPDATE :

ROB REED:

Really sorry, but I have some disapointing news.
We've just been handed, from the manufacturer, a 10 day delay on the arrival of the Kompendium CD/DVD Special Edition.

" due to high demand leading to the Christmas period?".

This annoys me more than I can describe, but unfortunately, it is out of my control and I have had to accept this delay.

We now have a delivery date of November 2nd and the team are armed and ready to ship them the minute they arrive.
I can only apologise for this delay and thank everyone for their patience and for their overwhelming response to the project.

IT WILL be worth the wait… I PROMISE!"

ROB

Hi all,

Thanks for the continued interest. I thought I'd pay a visit and also post the message about the delay. I see you beat me to it :)

We're really sorry about this - it's one of those things but as they say, the best things are worth waiting for.

The Magenta mixes are great - the sound quality could be better though - they sound a bit thin....

:)

A good question for Rob when we do the Q&A. I suspect this might be partly to do down to Rob's production tropes and partly because they weren't loss-less/high res mixes.

I was fortunate enough to listen to a pre-release version some time back, and Kompendium does sound very good in the 5.1 format.

Hi all,

Thanks for the continued interest. I thought I'd pay a visit and also post the message about the delay. I see you beat me to it :)

We're really sorry about this - it's one of those things but as they say, the best things are worth waiting for.

Any word on the shipping date for this yet?

Rob Reed has given some background on the delays,

IMPORTANT UPDATE FROM ROB REED

OK….So here’s the latest update.

I have taken delivery of the Double Vinyl Edition and I couldn’t be happier. They look stunning, even better than I had anticipated and you should be receiving them very soon (if you haven’t already).

I have not so good news, however, regarding the Special Edition CD/DVD.

As I’m sure you’re all aware, one of the main aims of 'Bene...ath The Waves’ was to try and give you all a touch of nostalgia. The idea was to make the packaging a major part of the experience, a real compliment to the music. If I had just opted for a typical jewel case you would have received them on time and I wouldn’t be writing this, but I felt that going in that direction would be a disservice to the music and the whole listening experience.

As this is a bespoke edition I had certain stipulations about how they would be manufactured. The company I have used assured me that it was well within their capabilities and they would easily make the quality and delivery deadlines. I have had an absolute nightmare with this company as they have failed me on both counts causing nothing but problem after problem.

I finally took delivery of the units yesterday after a month of frustration and delays. I was expecting a product that equaled the Vinyl Edition in quality.

Unfortunately I did not get this.

The finish to the product was not acceptable to me (and I believe to you) so I had no choice but to refuse delivery and return them to the manufacturers.

After spending so much time and effort making this album, I could not let it go out with a sub standard finish. I know this will probably upset and frustrate many of you, but I want this to be special in every way. I haven't accepted anything but the best for the last four years and wasn't about to let the standards slip at the last minute, however embarrassing a situation I now find myself in.

I’m awaiting conformation of when the problems will be rectified, which I know they will. I promise to let you know as soon as possible when they will arrive. Hopefully this will be sooner rather than later.

Again a massive apology for any frustration this will cause, but please believe me that I didn't make this call lightly.

I only want the very best product for us all.

Rob Reed
Unfortunate as the delay is, I am glad Rob took the decision to turn down the sub-par quality and demanded a top notch digipack. Better to wait a little longer, than having a sleeve that is bad quality. Thanks Rob for putting quality first!

After reading what Rob R. has said I for one would have been very happy with a typical jewel case as I do like having a nice physical product but usually once it has been initially looked at thats it don't usually look at it again, the rest is all about the listening experience as thats why I purchased the product, for the music.
I hope it isn't to long of a delay.

peter

After reading what Rob R. has said I for one would have been very happy with a typical jewel case as I do like having a nice physical product but usually once it has been initially looked at thats it don't usually look at it again, the rest is all about the listening experience as thats why I purchased the product, for the music.
I hope it isn't to long of a delay.

peter
That is exactly how I feel too but I admire Rob for his commitment to his own standards. Good for him!

This was a decision that was not taken lightly at all - and Rob has not told you guys the halvsies of the grief he has got.
I can assure you that the album is well worth the wait though - and to hang on in there.

I can assure you that the album is well worth the wait though - and to hang on in there.

Confirmed :) the music is very good. Nice orchestrated prog, very well played and sang. I gave the 5.1 a first spin and the mix is really great. A balanced front stage and loads of things going on in the rears, as there are the orchestra, choir and guitars and percussion. Solo vocals and guitar mixed into the center channel. I am very impressed by the music and mix, lovely altogether.

The sound is great too, mastered by Neil. Thanks man, its another quality release from Opus.

Confirmed :) the music is very good. Nice orchestrated prog, very well played and sang. I gave the 5.1 a first spin and the mix is really great. A balanced front stage and loads of things going on in the rears, as there are the orchestra, choir and guitars and percussion. Solo vocals and guitar mixed into the center channel. I am very impressed by the music and mix, lovely altogether.

The sound is great too, mastered by Neil. Thanks man, its another quality release from Opus.

Rob, did you get a pre release copy of this as isn't this still waiting on manufacturing problem to be fixed or are copies getting sent out now?

Rob, did you get a pre release copy of this as isn't this still waiting on manufacturing problem to be fixed or are copies getting sent out now?

Int'l orders were starting to ship as of today - here's the post from the Kompendium Facebook page;

little update…..

We were fortunate to FINALLY receive a small quantity of the DVD/CD for us to approve.

These look amazing and so we have finally starting to ship them. We have only a small number, so we have sent them out to some of the 1st ordered international orders, as there is a usually a substancial delay in delivery.

We have been told that the main bulk of the stock will arrive this Friday, so slowly but surely everybody should be getting their copy……AT LAST….

We will keep you informed of developments, and thanks for you patience.
ROB

Int'l orders were starting to ship as of today - here's the post from the Kompendium Facebook page;

little update…..

We were fortunate to FINALLY receive a small quantity of the DVD/CD for us to approve.

These look amazing and so we have finally starting to ship them. We have only a small number, so we have sent them out to some of the 1st ordered international orders, as there is a usually a substancial delay in delivery.

We have been told that the main bulk of the stock will arrive this Friday, so slowly but surely everybody should be getting their copy……AT LAST….

We will keep you informed of developments, and thanks for you patience.
ROB

Hi Peter, apparently I was in the first batch of orders. Good that Rob Reed declined the first offering, as the current sleeve is really nice. Combined with the music and mix, it is well worth the wait.

Back