HiRez Poll Kooper, Al, Mike Bloomfield, Stephen Stills - SUPER SESSION [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Bloomfield, Kooper, Stills - SUPERSESSION

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this August 2014 SACD release from Audio Fidelity. The surround mix by Al Kooper was slated for SACD release by Sony in 2003, and subsequently shelved when Sony dropped their SACD program, was one of the first Multichannel SACDs released by Audio Fidelity.

Supersession Front.jpg
Supersession Back.jpg

I was fortunate enough to get an advance copy of this disc and while I will save my review for next week, I will tell you all that this is one superior sounding disc. The first track "Albert's Shuffle" will win you over right off the bat. If you like a bluesy lead guitar going wild in the center speaker, this disc is for you! :)

Can't wait to hear what you all think of it. Here it is folks, an un-released surround mix that was sitting in a bunker - now freed from captivity. Check it out!

Some initial comments based on an advance copy of the 5.1 SACD from Audio Fidelity.

The Super Session 5.1 SACD features excellent Stereo SACD tracks of the album created from the stereo master tapes by remastering engineer Steve Hoffman.

The album also features brand new liner notes written by Al Kooper that tell the story of the idea behind and the recording of Super Session. Along with the story of how Stephen Stills came to be on the second side of the album. Very interesting.

The 5.1 mix by Al Kooper is well done. He uses the full Surround Sound field to bring you inside this historic late 1960's blues/rock jam session. It's like being at the Fillmore, back in the day. You'll even hear some panned instruments on a few of the tracks. Kooper wanted to use 5.1 to highlight all of the instruments and performances on the disc. He succeeded.

Overall, a must-own for fans of the Super Session album. Blues and rock fans will enjoy it as well.

Recommended.

A couple of posters at SHTV are reporting loud mastering and excessive bass for the surround mix on this disc.

It will be a few weeks before I get my copy.

What are the feelings here regarding the bass levels etc?

Not sure if this is the correct place to post but importcds has this for $20.87 now, a good price. Based on two peoples opinion here that I trust who say they've heard it I'm ordering it despite my reservations it might be a repurposed quad. I will probably eat my own critical words....lets see I have the Japanese SQ cd, the SQ Japanese lp, a Q8 conversion, why not one more? :)

Not sure if this is the correct place to post but importcds has this for $20.87 now, a good price. Based on two peoples opinion here that I trust who say they've heard it I'm ordering it despite my reservations it might be a repurposed quad. I will probably eat my own critical words....lets see I have the Japanese SQ cd, the SQ Japanese lp, a Q8 conversion, why not one more? :)

I couldn't find it on the website, the only thing I found was a CD HERE

This post and others like it could be moved to another thread, if need be.

...I'm ordering it despite my reservations it might be a repurposed quad. I will probably eat my own critical words....lets see I have the Japanese SQ cd, the SQ Japanese lp, a Q8 conversion, why not one more? :)

I'm still waiting on my preorder to be filled, so I haven't heard the SACD. According to Al Kooper when I spoke with him several years ago, he created new 5.1 mixes for BOTH Super Session and BS&T's Child is the Father. My understanding is that this SACD is NOT the Quad mix repurposed.

Brian also refers to the 5.1 mix in his post above.

Thanks LizardKing! I just changed my order from amazon.ca . I saved over $10 with your link and my combined order with the Breezin' disc which is even cheaper.
I'm assuming that you saved $10 because you are getting both discs. I'm just getting Super Session (from Amazon.ca) and the price difference with ImportsCD is less than $0.10. I'm paying $27.79 at Amazon; $27.86 at ImportsCD.

Yes I am getting both discs. Amazon is charging $28.61 each for the two discs. ImportCDs is charging $20.87 for Super Session, and $18.83 for Breezin'. Even with shipping, my order from ImportCDs is $48.68, Amazon was $57.22. So, not quite 10 bux, but enough to make me change.

Yes I am getting both discs. Amazon is charging $28.61 each for the two discs. ImportCDs is charging $20.87 for Super Session, and $18.83 for Breezin'. Even with shipping, my order from ImportCDs is $48.68, Amazon was $57.22. So, not quite 10 bux, but enough to make me change.
I'm going to have to keep ImportsCD in mind next time I'm ordering something new.

A couple of posters at SHTV are reporting loud mastering and excessive bass for the surround mix on this disc.

It will be a few weeks before I get my copy.

What are the feelings here regarding the bass levels etc?

The reviews I am reading on the Hoffman forum seems to be very positive.

I'm looking at this: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/audio-fidelity-al-kooper-super-session-5-1-sacd.376450/

The reviews from therockman and MikeT are not my idea of being very positive.

Heard this today and was floored.....Al Kooper did an amazing 5.1 remix...Dont pass this one up...It is a must have of a classic record...Nuff said....Going to listen to the Hoffman remaster stereo on the disc next...This is the way Hybrid 5.1 should be done...5.1 mix, SACD, and 2 channel stereo on the same disc....all remastered

I own both and I am leaning towards this as it really makes you feel like you are in the studio...I am partial to the 5.1 mix as it makes the music sound like it is in 3D...

the highlight of that threads got to be the confirmation that SH is working on the BST SACD, so best guess is we will get to hear the 5.1 of that album - at last..!!! :banana:

What's disturbing to me about that thread is the statement from steve hoffman that hes never heard the 5.1 mix. Talk about quality control. As if he doesn't care about anything except his own mastering work he can collect accolades about. I am hoping I did not waste my money buying another stereo version I did not need with a defective 5.1 mastering. Is it just one person on that site who is complaining about the mastering? There may be three people on QQ who say they have heard an advance copy and like it. And who didn't complain about excessive bass and loudness on the 5.1 layer.
If this turns out to be a real mess its the last AF disc I will ever buy 5.1 or not.

What's disturbing to me about that thread is the statement from steve hoffman that hes never heard the 5.1 mix. Talk about quality control. As if he doesn't care about anything except his own mastering work he can collect accolades about. I am hoping I did not waste my money buying another stereo version I did not need with a defective 5.1 mastering. Is it just one person on that site who is complaining about the mastering? There may be three people on QQ who say they have heard an advance copy and like it. And who didn't complain about excessive bass and loudness on the 5.1 layer.
If this turns out to be a real mess its the last AF disc I will ever buy 5.1 or not.

You must not know much about Steve Hoffman(aka Mr. 2 channel); he thinks 5.1 is evil, an abomination. When the other poster asked him if he was curious about the surround version his response was "no". I personally wouldn't want him to do a surround project; he is way too conservative in his methods; a true minimalist.

First off, I am going to clean up this thread, as it's way off target. This is a poll thread and should be treated accordingly.

For those who are worried about what others say without hearing it themselves, here is a screen grab of the entire 5.1 SACD wav files. I don't have a PS3, so these were created by playing the SACD into my PC and recording the audio at 24/96 so I could play it in my Acura's DVD-A player.

:yikes

The SACD sounds great. There is no brickwalling or compression to my ears (or eyes). The mix is full and surrounds the listener like you want to be surrounded. I don't know why there is such a fuss about this one. This is an artist approved mix and when I listen to it I can understand why Al Kooper wanted to get this out to the public. He did a fine job, and oh, by the way, I will NEVER play the stereo side. Why should I? Give me one good reason why I would want to listen to the stereo track. :mad:@:

FL
FR
C
LFE
RL
RR

Supersession Wav Files 1024.jpg

Back