Koss Phase 2/2s!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are very cool! Sound wise they are a bit less efficient than the other Koss phones. The various switches on the control box lets you play with the sound field, even on stereo sources. I can't say that any setting is right, just different from the other settings.

All other Koss Quadraphones place the drivers vertically (to better fit in a regular size ear cup). These phones place the drivers horizontally with the back drivers in front! The back drivers are smaller with limited frequency response. Koss did that as our ears filter the sound from behind, so the thinking is that it will give better audible differentiation from front to rear. I've never bought into that argument. Personally I prefer the elongated style of quad phones, with identical drivers mounted horizontally.

And the original foam pads are always rotted, you would have to cut you own pads from a piece of foam.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ventor-of-stereophones-rip.31691/#post-605878
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ation-for-headphones.29677/page-4#post-608998

I picked up a set last month.
The condition of them is really good.
When I first plugged them in, the sound was barely there.
By sliding the controller switches more sound came through.
I used some electrical contact cleaner, that I have for cleaning audio potentiometers, and all the switches started working.
I managed to get 3 of the 4 speakers working.
Thinking that one was damaged I proceeded to open up the case and found out that the crimp on clips that attached to the speaker were loose.
I unclipped them, then cleaned the posts, tightened the clips slightly with plies then reattached on.
The head phones work perfectly now.
For the ear foam problem I found the original headphone drawings. I enlarged the drawing to full size of the headphone ear part.
Found online speaker foam and ordered some. Now I will make a metal template for the foam and will use that as a die/template to cut new ear foam pieces.
Will use double sided legend plate tape to secure to the headphones.

Last edited:
Back