HiRez Poll Kraftwerk - 3D: The Catalogue [BluRay]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Kraftwerk - 3-D: The Catalogue

• 7 -

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Jeez, the bass drops in Autobahn's Kometenmelodie are insaneo_O gets all sorts of things rattling in my room, I'need to get round to tracking them down and shutting them up:oops: I'm loving listening to this one in 7.1.4 Atmos:p

It is completely mind blowing Sven how utterly brilliant this Atmos release is. If only all our shakers and mixers could achieve this level of total surround bliss.

It is completely mind blowing Sven how utterly brilliant this Atmos release is. If only all our shakers and mixers could achieve this level of total surround bliss.
It sure is, I think Kraftwerk are at a bit of an unfair advantage being that they are all electronic, I could be wrong, the sounds are all going straight from the keyboards etc to the recorder by wire with no mikes so the sounds are pure & uncoloured.

Jeez, the bass drops in Autobahn's Kometenmelodie are insaneo_O gets all sorts of things rattling in my room, I'need to get round to tracking them down and shutting them up:oops: I'm loving listening to this one in 7.1.4 Atmos:p
My thought exactly after the first listen. This release is amazing, definitely a demo disc for friends.

I feel that the sound is too sterile for a live recording. It lacks energy. Ends up with a stripped down studio sound. I would have preferred an Atmos mix of the actual studio albums with overdubs and other trickery.
It's great that we got an Atmos release though. They are scarce. I gave it a 7.
I am revisiting my initial review on this title. I have the 2 disc version of 3D and I am reviewing the Blu-ray Atmos.
I have made significant upgrades to my system in the last year:
Identical drivers in the main 5 channels.
Separate amplifiers for each channel including one for the 4 Atmos. This allowed me to significantly increase volume of the Atmos speakers.
A subwoofer in each corner (5.4.4)
I also received recommendations from forum members on the frequencies reproduced by the Atmos speakers (thank you)
I experimented and discovered that my previous high crossover point was reducing some percussive effects from the Atmos speakers.
The additional subwoofers in the rear of the room really make a difference. They seem to accentuate sound coming from the rear Atmos speakers.
The final change I made was to pick a day when no one was around so I could "pump up the volume"
This made a huge difference as well. I think you really need the onslaught of sound pressure to make this release work.
Final thoughts...changing vote from 7 to a 9.

They showed up in Gothenburg last august (at an amusement park venue no less) with its full 3d show. First time I saw them and it was an amazing gig, I have never been much into modern electronic music but the german kraut acts from the 70s in general and Kraftwerk in particular always offer an enjoyable listen.

Anyway, I was on my way of ordering the regular blu ray but ended up at a fair good prize with the big one. This release is really something, despite the lack of new material I must say that they squeeze out of the best of what they have, some slight modern touches here and there, the 3d experience is great (I was never a fan of 3d tv in general but here it’s very effective) and last but not least the surround mix is an exercise in how it’s done, simply put. All in all this is a 10.

Last edited:
Yes......but Blu-ray is even better because no streaming involved

I have the big 4 BD box and it totally blows away the Tidal version.

And guess what, I've never even heard the Tidal version :p

criminally underrated and my only experience to Kraftwerk before was from the Big Lebowski

1596343402958.png

flea on the right BTW 😜

The 2 blu-ray box is well worth the money. Even tho I have the original releases I find myself listening to this versions more often. The sound is espectacular if you have an Atmos setup and the 3D effects are very effective I miss not to see Florian on this version. The Minimum Maximum release was only released on DVD. I guess it was filmed on video and not on film. The 5.1 DD is also very effective. A lot of crowd noise to my taste tho. I missed the boat on buying the SACD of this concert at the time . If anyone has one on sale on a reasonable price Message me please. :)

I've only listened to it in 5.1 as I only have a 5.1 system, but this is just one of my favorite 5.1 releases out there. Kraftwerk is of course, legendary. Whether you like them or not, Kraftwerk paved the way for electronic music and pop music, and we wouldn't be the same without them. Despite them being so old and new for electronic music, their music holds up extremely well and is still regarded as some of the best in the genre. If you look at the overall electronic music chart on rateyourmusic.com, 3 of their albums are still in the top 25 highest rated of all time there, which is pretty wild considering how old and pioneering it is.

This set has those three albums (the man machine, trans europe express and computer world) along with the rest of their discog performed on modern synths. These performaces are still extremely faithful to the source material and honestly somehow occasionally makes the music even better. Computer Love in particular just gets me everytime in this set.

Quite a relief to have some good electronic music in Multichannel, because we barely get any. This is one of maybe 5 records (dsotm, soft bulletin, yoshimi, avalon and that one tangerine dream box) on this site I have no problem giving a 10/10.

I voted 10. I wanted to post my thoughts on this poll awhile ago but forgot. I, like others missed the intial release and I eventually purchased for $225.00.
This set, gorgeous, from book to the four Blu Ray Discs.
I believe the 4 months it took me to build my Atmos Room was intended for this release.
I ripped the non concert discs for my listening and viewing pleasure. The concert discs sounded incredible, equal to the non concert discs, but the little men in the beginning that evetually became bigger men at the end, was not to my liking when compared to discs #3&4, the non concert discs.
The non concert disc is pure large graphics that are very cool on my big TV.
Ripping: I ripped as one film, reason was for the gapless playback, which JRiver cannot do if doing in chapters as a MKV video file, no problem with FLAC music files. So when I listen/watch this 24/48 MKV video file it is best of both worlds with sound and vision.
The non concert discs (FILM) are Disc 1 in length 1:57:36 and Disc 2- 2:50:15, 4 hours of music and visuals is a lot.
The Music in Atmos: Perfect, but it starts with the 5.1 foundation which by itself is super good, but the heights, 4 for me, sound incredible and just pull me into this magical discrete ball of sound. My 3 subs also blend superbly with the electronic music being like a river of sound that goes around and through me.
I am lucky that my 3 amps all have VU meters so if there is any confusion as to what is playing from what speaker, I never have to guess. I can also turn off the foundation amps leaving the 1 amp driving the 4 height speakers. I do this ocasionally on Atmos mixes to check out the honesty of the mix, and as you could guess this mix was done by a very good mixing person.
If I was to be at all negative it would be even though there is a ton of content it can be redundant, between Concert and Film, I don't think even the most die hard Kraftwerk fan would go crazy happy with listening to 8 hours over and over?
Also in the two disc film, one chapter, I forget the name, is like a greatest hits, so it becomes redundant X 2. Outside of that trivial comment this is a Atmos listeners dream.

Last edited:
Well, I reckon the case is silly. Got a copy this week, and one of the plastic spring clips immediately snapped on first disc removal. :rolleyes: Just going to have loose discs rattling around soon at this rate.

Not sure that's included in the rating system though... :)

Right, this is a pretty impressive package. Kraftwerk are a piece of musical history I've been dimly aware of, but I'm not remotely familiar with their actual catalogue, aside from "The Model". They were certainly foundational to so much electronic pop that followed that I love, and the content is rapidly growing on me.

Checked this out on my 2D TV and 7.1 setup, and the mix is impeccable. And if my discs are rattling around it won't just be due to the broken spring clip, it will be all that 30Hz and below bass... Electronic musicians are not going to allow themselves to be impeded by mere physical limitations. Make sure your subwoofer's up to scratch. Fortunately mine goes to 11 (hertz).

The whole thing is very much a "Video 3-D Sound" concept as it says on the label, so I had to check the 3D video out using my PSVR. Okay, that brings the visual side to a whole new level. The graphics are pretty flat in 2D (obviously!), but that's because they were clearly conceived as clean 3D imagery. The depth is in the 3D, not the art. If you have a big 3D TV or projector this will be at a whole other level to 2D.

The 3D video turns out to work a treat in PSVR, and the 7.1 mix comes through the PSVR's 3D audio well. You're in a virtual 3D cinema with 7-channel audio.

Downside is that 3D Bluray playback in PSVR is headset-only, with its 3D headphone audio. You can't use the headset to watch the video while listening to your speakers. (Unlike when watching 2D content in PSVR). And you can't effectively use the disc's "Headphone Surround 3D" in that mode either, because it's rendered as if through 2 virtual speakers, not sent directly to the headphones.

Still, with the 3D video, it's arguably more immersive than outside the headset, even if my headphones are nowhere near the quality of my speakers.

It does occur to me that with the two sets of discs, I *could* play one version on the PS4 for PSVR video simultaneously with the other version for audio on the Blu-ray player... 🤔

Oh, sorry, got sidetracked. 10.

(Yikes. Aero Dynamik just swept down to at least 20Hz as I edit this. It's like that film "Gravity" all over again.:SB )

Edit: Yes, synced VR + speaker playback with 2 discs works a treat. o_O And dissuades you from track skipping once you've perfected the sync between the 2 players. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Back