HiRez Poll Kraftwerk - 3D: The Catalogue [BluRay]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Kraftwerk - 3-D: The Catalogue

• 7 -

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
8 for me. Amazing fidelity. Lovely surround. Great content - but Kraftwerk, though they are excellent, are not in the same league musically as e.g. Pink Floyd or Yes at their best. IMO!! Does this really belong at the top of the poll? (Oh and the packaging is very underwhelming, and the disc holders are as awkward as hell...)

Last edited:
didn't you just answer your own question?

I understand your comment - and this rating business is tricky, right, and hard to be consistent over time. e.g. I voted 10 on Minimum-Maximum back in the day, but I will never pull that out to play as often as e.g. The Yes Album, because the musical content just isn't as appealing (to me). The music on Min-Max (like 3-D) IS great, but not tremendous (for me) - so I'd probably give Min-Max an 8 today. So I'd review Dark Side Of The Moon as Amazing Fidelity, Lovely Surround, and Stunning Content. And that (entirely subjective!) grading between Great and Stunning is the difference between an 8 and 10. So I sorta did answer my own question - however impertectly! BUT it is always a challenging choice - as I so value all these people who invest in creating these surround mixes and also want to reinforce their efforts in terms of future releases - it is all such an exciting adventure, and I'm just delighted to have access to so many musical thrills on material both familiar and unfamiliar!! And I love the poll pages - and have spent perhaps too many hours perusing them for my next choice in surround delight...

Dsotm content is better but it's not atmos. This is a surround poll and atmos superceeds 5.1 just like 5.1 would superceed stereo in a similar poll.

the surround poll should not list the best content, but should list the best surround and kraftwerk 3-D is the best surround

Last edited:
the surround poll should not list the best content, but should list the best surround and kraftwerk 3-D is the best surround

I guess I repectfully disagree. The top of the list should be the best all around disc representing the best mix, fidelity and content combined. At least, that's always been my take on the polls. Personally, I've quit rating discs as I know my hearing has tapered off over the last few years and am not sure I should be rating fidelity any more, although I still appreciate a good mix and , to me, the content is king.

K

I’m with some others, surround mix is stellar and I agree it’s demo material. I like some electronica, but the content here doesn’t do much for me, so an 8.

Sound quality for me is a ten+, I hadn't owned any Kraftwerk until I bought the two disc BD/DVD The Catalogue about eighteen months ago. I enjoyed that enough to get the four disc BD set. I am listening in 7.1but not Atmos. The 3D is pretty good too, though in the less active parts for some reason I started thinking about "James Guthrie" :). There is a lot to get through here so it's going to take me a while to absorb it all, electronic music has never been my thing so I'm really branching out here, but it is the quality of the sound that is the grab for me rather than musical content. Even so I'm voting ten.

I feel that the sound is too sterile for a live recording. It lacks energy. Ends up with a stripped down studio sound. I would have preferred an Atmos mix of the actual studio albums with overdubs and other trickery.
It's great that we got an Atmos release though. They are scarce. I gave it a 7.

For me, this was a gift ... and a solid 10 across the board. Yes, the original albums remixed/remastered would've been nice .... maybe even preferable, but wading through this treasure trove of LOSSLESS state of the art re~recordings with eye~popping 3D visuals [especially on an LG OLED TV] was unexpected ..... and awesome...and worth EVERY penny!

Last edited:
Call me a "Country Bumpkin" but I prefer the M/C audio on my Minimum Maximum DVD to that of the high res. Atmos on my 3D.

One of my favorite box sets of the last few years. I just wish there was more of it.

Minimum/Maximum is a spectacular multichannel SACD......but why compare ....they're both essential!

BTW, do you have an ATMOS set up? I don't.

I do have Atmos but am not really impressed with it for music. I am used to discrete sounds from specific speakers and Atmos is all around you.
I do enjoy the more aggressive Atmos movie soundtracks...

Back