HiRez Poll Krall, Diana - THE GIRL IN THE OTHER ROOM [SACD/DualDisc DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/DVD-A of Diana Krall - THE GIRL IN THE OTHER ROOM

• Total voters
Very nice sound, but...

I love Diana's voice, but I can't help feel that there is a subtle lack of inspiration in this release. Technically and musically, all the pieces seem to be there. The band is incredible. The recording is superb. But still...

I dunno, I feel that Diana's collaboration with her hubby, Elvis Costello, has taken her just far enough out of her comfort zone to make it not quite work as well as it usually does for her. Maybe it’s just me. That is entirely possible. Still, an overriding theme I seem left with about this release is "syncopation for the sake of syncopation", as opposed to any inherent artistic merit in the approach.

But again, the technique is all there. The sound is sublime. The surround mix is very intimate, like you're in a small jazz club. It works well for the most part, but the sound wants to be bigger. At times the mix feels a tad constraining. I wish it were opened up more. Perhaps that might allow me to appreciate more of the artistic intent.

All in all a very fine release. As a surround title, perhaps one of Diana's best to date, yet still lacking, I would say. Musically, it's on the edge of her forte'. Kudos to her for her willingness to stretch and grow. Far be it from me to pigeonhole her. But still... this doesn't quite do it for me. I'll give it a 7.

I have all the Krall high end discs, and a few CDs. If you like her music you'll really like the surround versions. Some folks like hip hop, I can't stand it. Some folks think her music is boring, I don't. Listen to some of her work first, and if you like it, buy the surround discs.

The mix on my DVD-A DD is godawful. Almost everything is in the right front and right surround. The piano does not have a stable image but is all over the place, even sometimes briefly right center( between right front and surround ) and there are sometimes cymbal swishes hard right also. Maybe I got a defective disc. I know I'm listening to the DVD-A and not the Dolby because the receiver is reading out 5.1 PCM on the HDMI DVDA/SCAD input( from my Oppo 981 ). Now I want to get the SACD. This thing was nominated for a surround Grammy, so I must have bought a bad one. There is nothing wrong with my setup, or receiver other DVD-As and SACDs are good.

The mix on my DVD-A DD is godawful. Almost everything is in the right front and right surround. The piano does not have a stable image but is all over the place, even sometimes briefly right center( between right front and surround ) and there are sometimes cymbal swishes hard right also. Maybe I got a defective disc. I know I'm listening to the DVD-A and not the Dolby because the receiver is reading out 5.1 PCM on the HDMI DVDA/SCAD input( from my Oppo 981 ). Now I want to get the SACD. This thing was nominated for a surround Grammy, so I must have bought a bad one. There is nothing wrong with my setup, or receiver other DVD-As and SACDs are good.

I don't recall ever reading about a defective DVD-A that would do that but of course most anything is possible. Does it sound the same whether player is set to bitstream or decode? Does the Dolby Digital version do the same things? Based on what you describe, my first reaction is it must be something about your setup, not the disc.

Chris

No, it's NOT the setup, it's the disc. The Talking Heads DDs work fine.

I am enjoying this disc on a lazy Sunday night. The vocals are dead set in the middle. Lots of ambiance all around. She does a good job of interpreting her husband's work.

I don't play my SACD of this v.often but when I do it's like a cosy warm blanket on a cold old night. Lovely music (bordering on background music in places!) and really nice production and surround mix. An "8".

Not sure what I can add to this discussion, other than that, if you don't think this recording is discrete, recalibrate your system TODAY.
Plenty discrete, in a very tasteful way. Nicely recorded and presented. If you like Diana Krall, you'll find your listening experience heightened nicely over stereo.
Is this a masterpiece? Has this title been knocked out of the park, so to speak? It's hard to say. It's moody, relaxing Diana Krall.
I find it hard to nudge it up in to Ravenland on the Mikey Baggins scale though.
Super-stong 8? Reasonably stong 9?
Nothing wrong with this! If you're open to mellow jazz, get this! (y)(y)(y)(y)(y).(y)

Just got boxes of CDs donated to me by someone local and found this dual disc version of the album among them. I’ll have to give it a spin and check it out.

Back