HiRez Poll Krall, Diana - THE GIRL IN THE OTHER ROOM [SACD/DualDisc DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/DVD-A of Diana Krall - THE GIRL IN THE OTHER ROOM

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

I was surprised with this mix as it seems a bit out there for a jazz disc. I really like it. Anthony Wilson's guitar really shines. Musically I enjoy it a lot, though some songs do border on snooze inducing. Black Crow is a real tour de force musically and sonically. An 8

I love this album!! Top notch sound, beautiful mix... great songs. A 9 from me.

If you like this one.. pick up the Live In Montreal DVD. Excellent!

A great cd ... about 2/3 of the time. When she's covering Tom Waits, Mose Allison, Joni Mitchell, her man Elvis and others, it's highly enjoyable. Unfortunately, her own songwriting skills leave a lot to be desired and as such, the last third drops off in quality considerably. Gets a 7 from me.

I'm not much of a Diana Krall fan, but I find I like the SACD of "The Girl In The Other Room". The title track is my favorite. Most songs are fairly good, but it's true that a few of the songs here are a little boring. Overall, the surround mix is pleasant---not too much, not too little, nothing glaringly done wrong. The recording quality seems decent enough, too. Gave it an 8.

A '9'...this one has really grown on me! And while I agree her own songs don't live up to the others, she's just getting started in that regard, and they're not bad by any means. Overall, a strong mix, a little adventurous, even!

ED :)

Bugdaddy hit it perfect!
Her own songwriting is not all that :(

The sound that this disc offers is very clean. (y)
Give it a High 7.

Can someone either send me a UK purchase link, or sort me out a copy?
I've got the other 3 DVD-A of Diana Krall, but cannot even find this one listed.

I don't own a ton of her stuff, but this is my favorite of the ones I own. The mix is subtle, but then based on the content I would have been surprised if it were very aggresive.

I'll go with an 8

Ed Bishop said:
I did....:D...and I will only add it's Diana Krall......;)

ED :)

Well, sometimes it takes me a while....................7 MONTHS!!! :rolleyes:

Ambient I think, coming from all sides, surrounding, encircling. Matter of terminolgy ? It seems tham in this mix no clearly spotted instruments, instead present small reverb and background sounds.

This is my first disc by Ms Krall, I knew what to expect as I've seen the live DVD. About half this album grabbed me from the first play, the rest has grown on me. The recording sounds very natural to me, no gimmicks.

I agree that the mix is more ambient the discreet. While it is more than just reverb it isn't coming at you from all directions which is good. I think it is a little tamer than her other SACD/ DVD-A titles but still good overall. The sound quality is great and the songs are pretty good if not sometimes a little on the boring side. Overall an 8 though.

This is great lazy sunday morning music. The mix is great, the sonics are excellent and just an all-around great disc. I give it a 9.

Another 8 from me here.
I really like DIana Krall, and she has also been faithful to Multichannel & High Rez - including this dualdisc I have 4 DVD-A from her, and 2 DVD-V.
The other 3 straight DVD-A titles are all in 24/96 resolution too, and here - as usual - Al Schmitt has done a fine job in the mix.
There is something about her music that really suits High Res - I don't know if it's that Vintage Steinway Piano, or the oh so subtly recorded double bass, or her vocals, or what it is. For me, this is what High Rez is superb at - you really get the impression of being there.
This one is again a mixture of original material & covers, including a top version of Tom Waits' "Temptation", and even a version of her hubby's "Almost Blue" - which reminds me to mention that Elvis Costello also co-wrote half the album too.

Highly recommended.
:banana:

This DualDisc was my first and still my favorite DVD-Audio disc. A great album and a good job was done with the surround mix. A solid 9 in my opinion. I am trying to find another recording of hers to buy but don't expect anything to be better than this one.

Chris

Back