HiRez Poll Krauss, Alison and Union Stations - LIVE! [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Alison Krauss and Union Station - LIVE!

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters
Yes, it is wonderful music and sonically pure, but this is a surround sound forum, and the mix is strictly audience/ambience. There is no music in the rears other than reverb, and to me this kills the deal as a surround title.

You have every right to your opinion, I just think's that it's a bit narrow to dismiss a huge part of the surround titles that exist as "non-surround". If there is sound in the rears, it is surround.

I have classical records with the ambience of the hall in the rears, and for me it is magic to be transported to the actual event. For me, there are good and bad mixes of all kinds, but there is no principle for how it should be mixed.

You have every right to your opinion, I just think's that it's a bit narrow to dismiss a huge part of the surround titles that exist as "non-surround". If there is sound in the rears, it is surround.

I have classical records with the ambience of the hall in the rears, and for me it is magic to be transported to the actual event. For me, there are good and bad mixes of all kinds, but there is no principle for how it should be mixed.
Being too forgiving is as bad as being too narrow. Especially on a title that costs a lot. Different people will define the surround experience differently. Personally, I feel cheated whenever the rears are ambiance only.

Like so many OOP SACD's, it costs a lot because of it's rarity. My recollection is buying at at Tower in Schaumburg, IL and paying the same price as a single SACD.

I would greatly prefer every 5.1 mix to have music in the rears. With a few exceptions, it's a given that it will be hall effect in the rears for both live and classical releases. The good part is that it's the REAL hall effect, not synthesis.

The good part is that it's the REAL hall effect, not synthesis.
Sure it is real. But here we go again - debating the type of mix. IMO a proper 5.1 mix gives equal credence to all channels. There is a conscious effort on the part of the mix engineer to create 5 well-balanced channels (plus the LFE). I can appreciate that others may like ambiance but to me it is the easy way out and does not give me what I am looking for.

With a few exceptions, it's a given that it will be hall effect in the rears for both live and classical releases. The good part is that it's the REAL hall effect, not synthesis.

Yes, and for me the great part is that it is a recreation of the actual recording event. No film or photo can yet ever make that as efficient as four speakers. :)

Then again, I also like studio recordings with sounds and instruments from all directions.

Hey,

Well, I never said ambient/reverb mixes are "non-surround." I simply said such mixes "kill the deal for me," meaning I don't enjoy the surround aspect of the mix. Which is true. But if you enjoy them, that's great! I am all about putting good music into receptive and appreciative ears, no matter the format. I just happen to prefer my mixes discrete.

And again, I was interested to see ambient/reverb mixes dismissed elsewhere in the forum (Tangerine Dream videos), but on this title a similar MIX gets high marks. So I was pointing out the inconsistency. Just sayin!

Ken

Yes its mainly ambient with applause in the rears
Yes its Live
Yes its Bluegrass
But...
Ohh Yes, its the to die for Alison Krauss, singing her way into my heart.

A happy, self indulgent 9
I have, so far, passed on this expensive OOP SACD, as the concert DVD likely has the same mix and sounds (and looks) great! Found it for peanuts.

I have, so far, passed on this expensive OOP SACD, as the concert DVD likely has the same mix and sounds (and looks) great! Found it for peanuts.

I tend not to watch too many concerts as I watch a fair amount of sport whilst listening to music.
And in Alisons case, I don't think I would be listening to her fabulous voice..;)

I got lucky with this one and her Favorites album..Ebay was very quiet, for some reason, when the time came to bid.

I tend not to watch too many concerts as I watch a fair amount of sport whilst listening to music.
And in Alisons case, I don't think I would be listening to her fabulous voice..;)

I got lucky with this one and her Favorites album..Ebay was very quiet, for some reason, when the time came to bid.
Very cool.
I could only afford Favorite because I bid on a HAMMERED copy (plays fine).
Just sayin' for those cheapies who want to experience this mix, the DVD is an alternative. Shut the screen off, if you must!

Had a regular cd of this its great LOVE Allison Kraus seen her several times just found a copy of this and its damn good
Content 9 Sound 9 Quadness 8 only because its primarily just ambiance , still a solid 9

Back