HiRez Poll Krauss, Alison and Union Stations - LIVE! [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Alison Krauss and Union Station - LIVE!

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this SACD release! (y) :phones (n)

This is as good as high-rez surround gets. If you can find one grab it.

Why is this so hard to find, and go for so much on eBay? When did it come out? What label is it on?

product.asp

I found this source for the SACD surround version. Haven't picked one up yet, though.

I followed the ink, and it says it is for the dvd verson.

The description says it's a two disc set with both a DVD and an SACD with "both stereo and 5.1 Surround Sound programs".

The description says it's a two disc set with both a DVD and an SACD with "both stereo and 5.1 Surround Sound programs".

The sacd is a 2 disc set, with no dvd. When you click on to he buy link, it says dvd.

The sacd is a 2 disc set, with no dvd. When you click on to he buy link, it says dvd.

Here's the description:

"* Specially priced 2 CD Set! * Full length companion DVD includes bonus footage and exclusive interviews with the band! * Their first live album ever! * SACD includes both stereo and 5.1 Surround Sound programs "

The key phrase seems to be "companion cd". To me that means you get both the DVD and the SACD. Also there is only one link to purchase it (not separate links for two different versions). If this isn't the case, one would have good reason to get a refund.

I emailed them and asked for clarification because I find the description a little confusing and want to be sure before spending my $25. Haven't heard back from them yet. When/if I do, I'll let everyone know.

4-19-2007 edit - I received the following from a representative of Rounder Records:

hi George - (another) George here at Rounder. That item number is for the DVD, the SACD is no longer available (demand was low, & then the place where we get them made closed down). I've alerted the web people to change the text & remove reference to the SACD. Sorry!
gh

Last edited:
I copy appeared in a store near me... $49.99.

Should I grab it ?

If you really like the music, then go for it. If you are looking for active surround, you should pass.

I just picked this up today at Best Buy for $23.99 (only one in the rack). While the sound is very good for a live recording, the rear channels are only ambience.

I really like the music, sound quality, and performance on this. However, I think it is somewhat overrated as a surround release. As noted by a few others, the rears are ambient only. I know some people prefer that on live recordings, but I would submit that most surround music fans want a more aggressive mix than this title offers. With four truly outstanding musicians on stage (not counting standup bass and percussion), I think the surround mix could have been spectacular.

I really like the music, sound quality, and performance on this. However, I think it is somewhat overrated as a surround release. As noted by a few others, the rears are ambient only. I know some people prefer that on live recordings, but I would submit that most surround music fans want a more aggressive mix than this title offers. With four truly outstanding musicians on stage (not counting standup bass and percussion), I think the surround mix could have been spectacular.

If you like the music - and would like a more involving surround mix - check out their "New Favorite" album. The title track is excellent in SACD Surround.

This is a live concert and is amazingly involving. If you expect a crazy/aggressive surround studio experience, this isn't it. I have this as a demo disc as to what hi-rez and hi-rez surround can sound like even if in a live setting that means mostly ambient. I tend to be an advocate for aggressive surround mixes, but I simply love this disc and I cannot praise it enough.

I am watching a concert on HDNet titled Alison Krauss and Union Station Live. I am pretty sure it is this concert although there are no details at IMDb. I had recorded it some time ago and it often shows up if anybody is considering purchasing the expensive SACD and would like to hear the performance before doing so.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0403836/

Is this the same performance?

Chris

I am watching a concert on HDNet titled Alison Krauss and Union Station Live. I am pretty sure it is this concert although there are no details at IMDb. I had recorded it some time ago and it often shows up if anybody is considering purchasing the expensive SACD and would like to hear the performance before doing so.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0403836/

Is this the same performance?

Chris

The concert that shows up from time to time on HDNet is indeed the same performance.

Last edited:
10. Yes, it is ambience in the rears. The performance and fidelity are spectacular. Now That I've Found You is worth the price of admission alone. It may be my most played track on SACD. It's that good. I also have a DVD of this, which came in a CD size jewel box. The DVD has also been packaged in a standard DVD box. If you're looking for an active mix, this isn't it. If you're looking for a great performance with great sound quality, look no further.

10. Yes, it is ambience in the rears. The performance and fidelity are spectacular. Now That I've Found You is worth the price of admission alone. It may be my most played track on SACD. It's that good. I also have a DVD of this, which came in a CD size jewel box. The DVD has also been packaged in a standard DVD box. If you're looking for an active mix, this isn't it. If you're looking for a great performance with great sound quality, look no further.

Hey Linda,

Please answer for me and others: you have said you have both the SACD and DVD video. Is there any difference in the mix between these two? Any difference in program content? Any difference in fidelity? If they are the same, why bother to hunt down the SACD? The DVD sells for around $10 > $12 on Amazon and is readily available. Your thoughts?

Ken

The DTS program from the DVD is absolutely stunning, and I have a hard time believing that it can be improved upon soundwise. It is one of the few phonograms I have that is possible to crank all the way up, so the dynamics are on par with a movie. The only time the level is too high is the applause right at the start.

The only issue I have with the mix (DVD) is that the guitars are placed left and right and the dobro in the middle, although the guitars both stand to the right and the dobro to the left.

Back