Kris Kristofferson Q8 Collection

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I didn't mean the encoder used so much as the fact that the CBS mixing engineers rarely if ever put anything center-rear. They seemed to always steer stuff hard rear-left or rear right, presumably for maximum matrix compatibility.

They steered the rears hard left and hard right for MAXIMUM QUADDYNESS GODAMMIT...!!! BAZINGA! :yikes

Yeah I didn't mean the encoder used so much as the fact that the CBS mixing engineers rarely if ever put anything center-rear. They seemed to always steer stuff hard rear-left or rear right, presumably for maximum matrix compatibility.

Putting things in the corners also helped the early SQ decoders that sensed corner signals and adjusted the musical output accordingly.
Not as much of an issue later on when the paramatrix decoders (Tate, etc.) arrived.

If only they had been members of the Royal Society for Putting Baby In The Corner..

oh no, hang on, the society for putting things on top of other things..! :ugham:

[video=youtube;1f-kfRREA8M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f-kfRREA8M[/video]

Putting things in the corners also helped the early SQ decoders that sensed corner signals and adjusted the musical output accordingly.
Not as much of an issue later on when the paramatrix decoders (Tate, etc.) arrived.

But the Tate didn't arrive until what, '76 or '77? Most people never had a Tate, and most of the SQ was mixed before the Tate even existed, for maximum compatibility for the (awful) partial logic and steering decoders that did exist. Just because those half-decent decoders did finally show up in the late 70's it doesn't mean everyone who bought a SQD-1000 or SQ-L in 1972 upgraded their equipment - I would bet the ratio of Tates to other SQ decoders in the 70's was miniscule...100:1, 1000:1?

Just to bring this back on topic, the other possibility (that I didn't consider) for the existence of the Kristofferson GRT carts is that even if Monument had signed a distribution deal with CBS in 1971, CBS didn't put out any quad product until Jan. '72. So perhaps they licensed out the Q8 manufacturing to GRT (as so many labels did) until Columbia Records started doing their own Q8 manufacturing in 1972.

Dave Dave Dave..

You weren't there in '76, just leave it to the people who were, ok...!?

(Alright so I was a mere foetus for the better part of 1976.. but the surround sound in my own private womb was sensational.. and fully discrete..)

wocka. :beer2

Hello Kris Kristofferson my old thread, I've come to post unto you again....

Stayed up all night listening to Quad. Figured out what the true track layout of B.B. King's "In London" tape. Then it struck me to try the same layout with the Best of Kristofferson.
Yup. That did it.

Front Left is actually Back Left
Front Right is actually Front Left
Back Left is actually Front Right
Back Right is correct.

This swap works for In London and the Best of Kristofferson. All songs that only have vocals in two channels will have the vocals appear in the front. Instruments are all over the place but generally speaking, I'm 100% sure this is how it's supposed to work.

Back In the early seventies I remember "Jesus Was a Capricorn" as being a popular album. I wasn't much into country at the time so took no real notice. I did love the movie "Cisco Pike" however. You would think that "Cisco" was semi-autobiographical but in fact it was conceived with a different actor in mind. Rightly or wrongly It did help form in my mind just who Kris Kristofferson was, a struggling singer/songwriter with a chequered past.

In the late seventies I found an SQ copy of "Border Lord" in the cut-out bin. Obviously I snapped it up. Upon listening to it for the first time I thought that hey this is not bad at all! The recording reminded me of the style of country music that you would often hear on the jukebox in one of our local "watering holes"! Over the years I did pick up copies of the other quad albums but "Border Lord" remained my favourite.
Border Lord is one of the few CBS quads with full centre vocals. To encode that would've required use of the SQ encoders internal position. The advantage of that placement is that you can sit in any position and get almost the same surround effect. All four channels are equally busy all the time. With the other recordings the sound becomes front oriented when the instrumentation is sparse.

Sadly the first album was not done in quad. I would love to hear "Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down" and "Me And Bobby McGee" given the quad treatment!

I'm giving the set a 9.
"The Best Of" Q8 has "Me and Bobby McGee" and "Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down" đź‘Ť

https://www.discogs.com/release/11296764-Kris-Kristofferson-Best-Of

Maybe DV didnt know about this one or the tapes are unavailable/gone. I would think they would have included it split between the two discs or use selected songs. Of course I dont know if these were different mixes to the stand alone albums.

Maybe DV didnt know about this one or the tapes are unavailable/gone. I would think they would have included it split between the two discs or use selected songs. Of course I dont know if these were different mixes to the stand alone albums.
Also odd is that "Best of" (Monument) release is manufactured and possibly distributed by GRT rather than by Columbia/CBS. Assuming that the mixes were done before Monuments association with Columbia; might it be possible that they differ from the latter releases?

the tape is very scarce indeed but Q-Eight owns it and i'm sure could fill us in with information on the mix, sound quality, etc. 🙂

The Best Of Q8 is a compilation in the literal sense. The songs that are culled from the released Quad albums are identical, though, in typical GRT fashion, there are channel errors galore. Sadly, the songs from Kris' first album on the Q8 are phoney-baloney. Stereo in the front, summed to mono in the rears with a little echo added for fun. They are not 4-channel discrete like the other songs.

Also odd is that "Best of" (Monument) release is manufactured and possibly distributed by GRT rather than by Columbia/CBS. Assuming that the mixes were done before Monuments association with Columbia; might it be possible that they differ from the latter releases?

Check out my thread I started way back when: Kris Kristofferson Q8 Collection

Best of appears to be GRT Q8 only.
Silver Tongued Devil is GRT Q8, CBS Q8 and CBS SQ LP.
Border Lord is GRT Q8 and CBS SQ LP.
Jesus was a Capricorn is CBS Q8 and SQ LP
Spooky Lady Sideshow CBS Q8 and SQ LP.

I've NEVER seen a Border Lord CBS Q8. I think it's a situation where like with Mountain's Best Of, GRT got the tape rights but CBS got the LP rights. That happened with the Billy Joel Quads, too.

Interesting. Even up to "Jesus was a Capricorn" was issued on Stereo 8-track by GRT.

jesus.jpg

Sad the hear that the songs from the first album are fake quad. Rerelease of the "Best Of" would then be pointless. This information dashes my hope of hearing real quad versions of any of that first album. Perhaps someone will do a remix, but that is not what DV is into.:(

The problem with moving off topic posts can be that it disrupts the organic flow of conversations.
Also it hides little known knowledge
Someone reading the kristofferson posts who didn't know about the Q8 release will continue to not know about it and will not look for a thread discussing it.
In normal face to face conversations we frequently ebb and flow through various subjects.
Oh well...
Is there something different about a Q8 of one his albums, or song(s) from his albums, different from the SACD(s)?

The problem with moving off topic posts can be that it disrupts the organic flow of conversations.
Poll threads are for disc reviews, not conversations. The content is meant to stand the test of time. If you were a lurker looking for info about a given multichannel title, would you want to wade through pages of banter between other members?

Is there something different about a Q8 of one his albums, or song(s) from his albums, different from the SACD(s)?
The main difference is better sound quality. We were discussing the possibility of a couple of tracks not included in the DV compilation having actual quad versions, as was pointed out they were found on a Q8 best of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back