KUNSTOPHE , BINAURAL ,3D STEREO..... (Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
In the interest of all things surround I thought I'd list what I have as a Binaural Surround type of listing for New Age, and Rock , and Progressive Recordings .

I will try and include Artist/Group , album title , and label where possible.

Please keep in mind this is in no way a complete listing , so if you have an addition ...feel free to mention the title.

-Fizzy

Not in alphabetical or chronological order but here goes :

CAN -FLOWMOTION.....Brain , now Mute
CAN - SAW DELIGHT
CAN- CANLANDED
NEKTAR - LIVE IN NEW YORK.. ..Bellaphon
JANE - LIVE ......Brain
EDGAR FROESE - AQUA .....Virgin
ALAN PARSONS - TALES OF MYSTERY AND IMAGINATION (1 cut).....Mercury
ALAN PARSONS - STEREOTOMY .....Arista
THROBBING GRISTLE - MISION OF DEAD SOULS .....Mute
THROBBING GRISTLE - ?
WENDY CARLOS - DIGITAL MOONSCAPES .....CBS/Masterworks
PETER GABRIEL - Plays Live .....Geffen
LOU REED - LIVE , TAKE NO PRISONERS .....Arista
LOU REED - Street Hassle .....Arista
LOU REED - The Bells .....Arista
LOU REED - Rock And Roll Diary , Best Of (various cuts)......Arista
STEVIE WONDER - The Secret Life Of Plants ......Motown
STEVE WINWOOD - Back In The High Life .....Island
GODLEY AND CREME - Consequences ......Mercury
CYBOTRON - Live At The Total Theatre..... (label?)
BIRTH CONTROL - Increase .....Brain/Metronome/OHR
ROBERT SCHROEDER - Brain Voyager , X-3......Astrophon
PINK FLOYD - A Momentary Lapse Of Reason (spherical).......Sony/Columbia
ISAO TOMITA - Grophe, Grand Canyon Suite ......RCA
ISAO TOMITA - The Bermuda Triangle (pyramid sound).....RCA
ISAO TOMITA - Live In New York (pyramid sound).....RCA
ISAO TOMITA - Live At Linz (pyramid sound).....RCA
LEVIN , MAROTTA , GORN - From The Caves Of The Iron Mountain ..........Moon June

Now I'm certain there are many more I'm missing as Kuntsophe, Dummy Head, 3 D was proliferate in Germany for a lot of other groups .
No doubt the rest of Europe was well involved as well.

I know you haven't posted your list yet, but in case it's not included, I'll add "From the Caves of the Iron Mountain" by Tony Levin.

You know I had that disc , but now can't find it anywhere in my apartment. And it's a good listen btw.
Kinda cool that they recorded it in the boat going in the Caves.

Thanks though.

ALAN PARSONS - STEREOTOMY .....Arista
Binaural?

Ambisonics , and Binaural.
20210726_204104.jpg

The only problem I have with the concept of "dummyhead" binaural recording is that, in a real world environment, a listener could turn his or her head, in order to focus on a particular part of the music that might be coming from off to the side. If you try to do this while listening to a binaural recording through headphones, you can't do it. It takes some of the "liveness" and immediacy out of the experience. Like listening to quad with headphones; to me, it just doesn't work. Now, before you start jumping all over me for this, it's just my opinion. Give me the speaker experience any day.

Although a dummy head was used as a mic I would not consider this a binaural recording as my friend Richard Elen supplied the ambisonic encoder for all songs but one. Thus it is Ambisonic UHJ

I agree .
This is an ambisonic recording first and foremost. ....but for some reason they utilized a "Dummy Head" mic .
Perhaps your friend Richard Elen can explain it's use ?

Perhaps the Dummy Head was used for the headphone surround experience as not everyone had Ambisonic equipment.

In Billboard Magazine there are a small number of articles that relate to Kunstophe Surround Stereo.

Example : November 30th 1974 pages 03 , and 38.
On page 38 , they say that there are "Kunstophe Surround Samplers" available in Germany !

October 30th ,1976 , page 19.

JVC introduces Bi-Phonic for stereo and and Q-Bi Phonic for quad at the 1976 A.E.S.

December 04th 1976 page 41 ,and 50,
JVC debuts new Binaural Recording unit , the HM - 200E , price is $80.00 in U S funds.

The only problem I have with the concept of "dummyhead" binaural recording is that, in a real world environment, a listener could turn his or her head, in order to focus on a particular part of the music that might be coming from off to the side. If you try to do this while listening to a binaural recording through headphones, you can't do it. It takes some of the "liveness" and immediacy out of the experience. Like listening to quad with headphones; to me, it just doesn't work. Now, before you start jumping all over me for this, it's just my opinion. Give me the speaker experience any day.

No I won't jump all over you , even if your made like a trampoline.
I prefer a 4 speaker listening environment for 5ch surround and quad anyday..... over just headphones.

This is just a 3 dimensional listening environment with a modicum of information via binaural on an alternative to a multi speaker set up. FWIW My personal preference will always be a quad speaker setup.

Perhaps the Dummy Head was used for the headphone surround experience as not everyone had Ambisonic equipment.

In Billboard Magazine there are a small number of articles that relate to Kunstophe Surround Stereo.

Example : November 30th 1974 pages 03 , and 38.
On page 38 , they say that there are "Kunstophe Surround Samplers" available in Germany !

October 30th ,1976 , page 19.

JVC introduces Bi-Phonic for stereo and and Q-Bi Phonic for quad at the 1976 A.E.S.

December 04th 1976 page 41 ,and 50,
JVC debuts new Binaural Recording unit , the HM - 200E , price is $80.00 in U S funds.
For the dummy head binaural effect to be right, it would have had to be a separate track from the Ambisonic. I don't think mixing the two would work as intended.

Thought I'd post a couple magazine items regarding "Binaural Quad" .

Most interesting are the testimonials via Ben Bauer's claim , particularly that matrix encoded music should provide some sort of Suround via a good set of Ear Phones /Head Phones.

Attachments

• 20210719_165149.jpg
    20210719_165149.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 69
I've listened to matrixed quad recordings with headphones; had a bunch on my iPod before Apple decided to stop supporting it. Both QS and SQ systems were there, and I agree that hearing these albums, undecoded through earbuds, sounded quite good. SQ tended to put the front channels at the extreme left and right, while rear sounds seemed to fold into the middle. QS, on the other hand, did narrow the front channels somewhat, although not objectionably so. The rear sounds seemed to come from outside of my head. Trippy effect, but I liked it!

I would have liked to have heard some of these.

The BBC has produced material in binaural stereo for decades and still occasionally does so. To date it has transmitted 261 such programmes. They are all listed on the BBC Genome site from where you can listen to the last 80 or so...

BBC BINAURAL RADIO.

slow.JPG

Last edited:
Back