HiRez Poll Kunzel, Eric - THE BIG PICTURE [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Eric Kunzel - THE BIG PICTURE

• 10: Great Fidelity, Great Surround, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7:

• 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 5.1 SACD from TELARC

Telarc SACD-60437 (y) :phones (n)

Attachments

• big picture.jpg
    big picture.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 41
This is another of the Telarc Super Audio CD reissues by Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops. Originally came out in Stereo CD and 5.1 DTS Music Disc.

The movie themes are fun. But the real star here are the Surround Sound effects by Michael Bishop. Definitely worth adding to your collection !

For more details, see the story over on High Fidelity Review at http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=18367198

This would be a good one to compare an SACD to a DTS CD, since Telarc does a great job on their disc production. I have the original DTS CD (although I haven't played it in years), and just ordered the SACD, so I'll check them out together. I'm sure the SACD will sound better - - at least I hope it will!

This would be a good one to compare an SACD to a DTS CD, since Telarc does a great job on their disc production. I have the original DTS CD (although I haven't played it in years), and just ordered the SACD, so I'll check them out together. I'm sure the SACD will sound better - - at least I hope it will!

The music holds up well although its not at the level of the newer Kunzel Surround Sound SACDs. But the highlight is clearly the Sound Effects in 5.1 SACD. Very cool !

The music holds up well although its not at the level of the newer Kunzel Surround Sound SACDs. But the highlight is clearly the Sound Effects in 5.1 SACD. Very cool !

I agree completely! The sound effects are cool! The F-16 roaring from the front speakers over my head to the rears, made the hair stand up on the back of my neck. The sound effects are recorded at a louder level than the orchestrated sections, so you need to have that remote handy to adjust the volume on the fly.

The disc comes with a warning;
Caution. Digital Sound Effects at high levels with Infrasonic frequencies to 5 Hz. Please establish safe playback levels before playing tracks 6, 11, 15, 16, 21, and 24. Excessive playback levels could result in damage to equipment.

With three sub woofers in the room, this one is fun for me. The entire disc has tons of bass and super dynamic range.

I think the theme song from "The Last Of The Mohicans" is one of the most beautiful soundtracks of recent times. I may be a bit biased in that opinion since I just happened to be vacationing in North Carolina and visited Chimney Rock Park, during the filming of TLOTM, so the film holds a few exclusively special memories for me.

Dennis

Back