HiRez Poll Kunzel, Erich - GREAT FILM FANTASIES [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Erich Kunzel - GREAT FILM FANTASIES

• 10: Great Sound, Great Mix, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9:

• 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Sound, Bad Mix, Bad Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this HiRez 5.1 title! (y) :phones (n)

Really good sounding disc this one.

Has various tunes from the movies of Star Wars, Harry Potter and the Lord of the Rings movies. Star Wars is the main focus though with 10 of the 16 tracks of the disc devoted to it. No complaints there though! :)

Compared the 5.1 SACD mix to the redbook layer run through Pro Logic II. No competition. Redbook sounds good but is no match for the SACD layer. This really does bring out the superior quality found with SACD. Sounds a lot cleaner and when the volume is pumped up everything remains a lot more stable with far greater seperation of the choir and the various instruments of the orchestra. Although I was never a fan of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace I always loved the theme that played at the end of the movie during the duel between the Jedi and Darth Maul. This sounds incredible on the disc and along with the Main Title track and the Imperial March this is well worth purchasing if you are a fan of the music of Star Wars.

I believe this disc was a direct DSD transfer so that would explain why the quality of this release is so high. Some of The Lord of the Rings tunes (3 medleys) sound very good but the Harry Potter tracks (3 again) didn't really hold my attention. It is not the official scores from the films but the orchestra and choir have done a superb job of capturing how they should sound almost perfectly.

You want Star Wars on SACD? Buy this disc! :D

8/10 (y)

Really good sounding disc this one.

Has various tunes from the movies of Star Wars, Harry Potter and the Lord of the Rings movies. Star Wars is the main focus though with 10 of the 16 tracks of the disc devoted to it. No complaints there though! :)

Compared the 5.1 SACD mix to the redbook layer run through Pro Logic II. No competition. Redbook sounds good but is no match for the SACD layer. This really does bring out the superior quality found with SACD. Sounds a lot cleaner and when the volume is pumped up everything remains a lot more stable with far greater seperation of the choir and the various instruments of the orchestra. Although I was never a fan of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace I always loved the theme that played at the end of the movie during the duel between the Jedi and Darth Maul. This sounds incredible on the disc and along with the Main Title track and the Imperial March this is well worth purchasing if you are a fan of the music of Star Wars.

I believe this disc was a direct DSD transfer so that would explain why the quality of this release is so high. Some of The Lord of the Rings tunes (3 medleys) sound very good but the Harry Potter tracks (3 again) didn't really hold my attention. It is not the official scores from the films but the orchestra and choir have done a superb job of capturing how they should sound almost perfectly.

You want Star Wars on SACD? Buy this disc! :D

8/10 (y)

Yes, for folks that might have been waiting for Star Tracks to show up in 5.1 this SACD will be a nice substitute.

Back