HiRez Poll Lady Blacksmith Mambazo - RAISE YOUR SPIRIT HIGHER [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Ladysmith Black Mambazo - RAISE YOUR SPIRIT HIGHER

• 8:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Fidelity, Bad Mix, Bad Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this HiRez surround release.

(y) :phones (n)

Wow, this one is recorded loud but no negative results that i could hear. Its an all vocal album with sweet voices emanting from all sides. I dont understand a word their singing but i love the soothing harmonies and adhoc chanting. Very discrete with lots of centre and surround use this might explain the overall loudness of this wonderful Heads Up Hybrid disc. 9;)

This one is great! I had to order it online but it was well worth the time.

Regards
EJ

Wow, it sure is recorded loud.

Ladysmith Black Mambazo has three surround SACDs "Ilembe: Honoring Shaka Zulu", "Long Walk to Freedom", and "Raise Your Spirit Higher". Remembering the group's work on Paul Simon's "Graceland", I grabbed this one. Have not spun it in a long while, but it got a lot of play when I first bought it.

Here you'll find 10 South African men singing a capella, largely in their native tongue -- chanting, singing in harmony, making interesting sound effects. As I have no idea what they're singing about (most of the time), most of the disc has the same effect as instrumental music to me -- I can listen and enjoy the sound without getting pulled out of my work by the lyrics. (It's sad, but I don't get much listening done anymore if I'm not working on something else.)

The musicians (vocalists) are spread around you as is the case with many of the HeadsUp/Telarc/Concord multichannel SACDs. I've not listened to this or any other LBM album in stereo, and I have no intentions of ever doing so -- this stuff is made to be heard in heard in surround, there's no going back after hearing it this way.

I would really prefer it if all the songs were sung entirely in whatever language most of them are sung in -- when they jump into English (on 5/6 of the 13 tracks) it's a little jolting to me. And I don't like track 13 at all, which is not sung by the group but by the grandsons of the group's founder. Otherwise, I can hardly find fault with this one. A 9.

Mark Z

Back