Lafayette quad repairs?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

gvl_guy

701 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Greenville, SC (via NJ, Philly, ATL & SoFL)
The Lafayette quad receiver I recently purchased at an estate sale is having some issues....I assume it's with the decoder. Other than that, it's in very nice shape. Clean, sounds wonderful through 4 speakers in the 2 channel mode, no crackling controls and all the buttons work.

I can't seem to find any information online about this one. The LR-5000, although the decoders, both SQ and "RM" were listed as some of the best at the time in a blog of someone who used to work for the company.

Does anyone know of a repair person that would know about these units? I'm willing to ship it to get it repaired....but if it's even worth it. I only paid $100 for this.

(FYI, symptoms are: perfect through 4 speakers in 2 channel mode. Left front speaker is much lower than the others when in RM, Right front speaker doing the same in SQ mode. Right rear speaker is dead when playing 4 channel direct source -in this case, my Oppo- in Discrete mode.)

Pardon the morning dust in the bright sun. ☺
PXL_20220528_112816381.MP.jpg
ation on

PXL_20220527_162004537.MP.jpg
PXL_20220527_162258276.MP.jpg
PXL_20220527_162018337.MP.jpg
PXL_20220527_162029262.MP.jpg
PXL_20220527_162012162.MP.jpg

Last edited:

gvl_guy

701 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter

Robkyle

Did I post this in my sleep.. :ROFLMAO: I bought the exact same receiver about 2 months ago with similar issues. I paid $100 I think.

par4ken, let me know if the manual was a worthwhile purchase. I might need one too.

I've found that most of the issues seem to be around the SQ board and switch for the different quad modes. Straight in from the 4 channel tape inputs bypass all of that and it's mostly clears up all the issues.

gvl_guy

701 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Did I post this in my sleep.. :ROFLMAO: I bought the exact same receiver about 2 months ago with similar issues. I paid $100 I think.

par4ken, let me know if the manual was a worthwhile purchase. I might need one too.

I've found that most of the issues seem to be around the SQ board and switch for the different quad modes. Straight in from the 4 channel tape inputs bypass all of that and it's mostly clears up all the issues.
Exactly the symptoms in mine! I haven't done anything about it yet and I, personally, am not one to attempt repairs on my own.

Robkyle

Exactly the symptoms in mine! I haven't done anything about it yet and I, personally, am not one to attempt repairs on my own.
Either we all are selling the same receiver to each other for $100 or it’s an extraordinary common problem.

It’s an extraordinary common problem. 🤣. I don’t have the time or need to dig into it now but I’ll be sure to post what I learn when I do tear into it.