Laptop microphone jack?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sounds like W*nd*ws and/or Audacity are the problem, not the device. I mean, if you're lowering the volume in Audacity, but the volume isn't going down...

I have consistently used my Project USB TT with audacity and it works flawlessly. So, I'm certain it's the device. I just don't understand it.

I have consistently used my Project USB TT with audacity and it works flawlessly. So, I'm certain it's the device. I just don't understand it.

Me either...I can't understand how *any* external device can override system controls like that.

Did you have to do anything in Audacity to select that device as the input? I'm wondering if something else needs to be changed so that that Audacity level controls are actually working with that particular stream. From 1000 miles away, it sounds like Audacity is accepting that input but trying to control something else.

Me either...I can't understand how *any* external device can override system controls like that.

Did you have to do anything in Audacity to select that device as the input? I'm wondering if something else needs to be changed so that that Audacity level controls are actually working with that particular stream. From 1000 miles away, it sounds like Audacity is accepting that input but trying to control something else.
Yes, I did have to select it from a drop down. I did try fiddling around with other settings, but none of them made a difference. But yeah, I guess I do wonder if there is some less obvious setting in Audacity to correct this.

Yes, I did have to select it from a drop down. I did try fiddling around with other settings, but none of them made a difference. But yeah, I guess I do wonder if there is some less obvious setting in Audacity to correct this.

I don't know if Can't adjust input volume - Audacity Forum is helpful...I just did a quick Google on "audacity level controls doing nothing". I'm sure I could phrase that better, but it's 6:00 a.m. here.

If nothing else, clearly others have had a similar issue.

If the device maybe has buggy drivers (if you had to install something) or works poorly as class compliant (this is usually only an option with MacOS... so check if you DO need to install a driver), you might try Reaper DAW. Reaper has advanced options to connect to weird or stubborn proprietary audio interfaces beyond other DAW apps. It has further special handling ability with stuff that normally doesn't work in Windows too. For example, you can select one of the OS drivers to "connect to" instead of a device and work around it from the back side. Manually enter the input and output channels when the driver refuses to communicate that with the system. All kinds of stuff.

But I'd send that Pyle thingy back. You might learn something about connecting to various audio interfaces but you won't get this time back. The analog stages in that thing will be trash on top of the software issues.

Reactions: GOS
I don't normally chime in on posts, I'm more of a lurker and learn person. While I don't understand a whole lot of high end audio stuff, I have had success in recording my vinyl to digital with satisfactory results. (At least for my listening expectations it was more than satisfactory.) About 15 years ago I bought an LP to PC package from DAK industries.( https://www.dak.com/product/daks-lps-and-tapes-to-cd-and-mp3-system/ ) I lost the interface software when my laptop bit the dust, and I purchased their latest version about 3 years ago. I go from my turntable through my receiver's "tape out", into the "mixer" that came with the package, out to my PC's "Mic" for "Line in". The key is to reduce the output from the mixer into the PC. The Line output on the mixer is only set to about "2" out of "10". I also needed a ground loop isolator due to some feedback I was getting. To me it sounds like what you should be able to do is go from your existing preamp, to a device that lets you control the volume level before going into your PC. A mixer would do that, or if you are more of an electronics person, could make your own. (I'm not into electronics enough to want to try that.) I suspect you might need a line matching transformer or ground loop isolator like I did? I hope this info might provide some help. The software from DAK also allows me to save in various formats, including WAV files.

Could it be that the incoming levels are so maxed out Audacity cant lower them to a usable level? I cant check now but is there a 10dB adjustment limit or something like that?

Could it be that the incoming levels are so maxed out Audacity cant lower them to a usable level? I cant check now but is there a 10dB adjustment limit or something like that?
Could be. So, if it's true, then getting a USB audio interface with a gain control would make sense. If I can't lower the gain, will it ever work?? Well, OK. I guess I can bypass the Parasound and get an audio interface with a built in phono preamp. Though, that sort of pisses me off. When you think about it.

If you are trying to feed a big fat line level signal (volts) into a microphone input (which will have millivolt sensitivity) you are going to need a massive amount of attenuation (say 40dB).

Could be. So, if it's true, then getting a USB audio interface with a gain control would make sense. If I can't lower the gain, will it ever work?? Well, OK. I guess I can bypass the Parasound and get an audio interface with a built in phono preamp. Though, that sort of pisses me off. When you think about it.
There are two line levels: +4 and -10
Balanced (XLR or TRS 1/4") is usually used for +4 and unbalanced rca jacks are usually used for -10

Mics and phono stages need to be amplified up to line level. This needs the expensive analog bits to do with no added noise.

Line level should not really need the levels to be messed with. Unexpected overloading of a line level input should only come about trying to connect balanced to unbalanced.

Do you have an expensive boutique phono preamp with XLR outputs?

I've seen a number of devices from this recent times crop of cheapness devices and some of them truly have DOA style design flaws. Literally can never work properly. I've seen some of these where they lead you to dramatically fully mutilate the incoming signal in heavy distortion to even be able to hear anything in the things anemic headphone output. Heard all the podcasts with people's voices just lit up saturated? This is what they're using and that's why. Literal design flaws that have no chance of ever working properly being sold.

Line level is not supposed to be this hard and in the real world it isn't! Audio interfaces aren't supposed to be this flaky and difficult to use either. And real ones aren't.

I'm talking some smack here but I don't believe I'm being hyperbolic. :)

The Behringer interface often mentioned here are 16/48 (16 bits 48 kHz). The UCA202 and UCA222 are the same, but different color, sometimes different chipset depending on the datecode. The UFO202 has an integrated phono preamp, but is also 16/48. they sell for about 40-50$CDN (30-35$US).

If you want something better sounding, get a basic professional interface (a modern one), they cost around 200-250$CDN (150-200$US) and can do 24/192. Behringer makes an affordable model (UMC202HD), but there are plenty of manufacturers (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Studio 24c, Mackie Producer 2.2). These interfaces have physical gain controls.

Then plug the line out of you Parasound Zphono in the line in of the interface.

Last edited:
The Behringer interface often mentioned here are 16/48 (16 bits 48 kHz). The UCA202 and UCA222 are the same, but different color, sometimes different chipset depending on the datecode. The UFO202 has an integrated phono preamp, but is also 16/48. they sell for about 40-50$CDN (30-35$US).

If you want something better sounding, get a basic professional interface (a modern one), they cost around 200-250$CDN (150-200$US) and can do 24/192. Behringer makes some an affordable model (UMC202HD), but there are plenty of manufacturers (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Studio 24x, Mackie Prodcer 2.2). These interfaces have physical gain controls.

Then plug the line out of you Parasound Zphono in the line in of the interface.
Several of those look pretty nice. Nearly all (I didn't check them all) do not seem to have RCA style connections. Since my Parasound and TT both are RCA, how does that impact how these are introduced into the chain? Obviously, I get the USB to laptop piece, but not sure how to connect others or if it's problematic.

Several of those look pretty nice. Nearly all (I didn't check them all) do not seem to have RCA style connections. Since my Parasound and TT both are RCA, how does that impact how these are introduced into the chain? Obviously, I get the USB to laptop piece, but not sure how to connect others or if it's problematic.
Simply use 1/4" male to RCA female adapters or 1/4" male to RCA male cables. They can be gotten at any audio or music store.
Here are some examples:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000068O3S/https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000068O17/

I see now that their are adapters for XLR to RCA type stuff, etc. Another connection. It won't degrade quality?
XLR is not useful in this case because it is used for mics or balanced low level signals. Usually, the 1/4" inputs can use balanced and unbalanced signal. The RCA outputs of you phono preamp are unbalanced, so RCA to 1/4" is the way to go. There will be no quality degradation as it is merely a connector type change (from RCA to 1/4"), the signal is the same (unbalanced line level).

Balanced connections don't increase any audio quality per say. It's a more robust type of connection and it will specifically avoid noise issues and let you run longer cables vs unbalanced. This doesn't increase quality. It avoids degradation and especially in more challenging scenarios.

Most of this kind of gear uses the combo balanced/unbalanced output circuits. It's made to have pin 1 shorted to pin 3 to use unbalanced. If you are wiring up (or buying) adapter cables like xlr to rca, mind that the connections are correct. (xlr and 1/4" connectors are used for WILDLY different applications. Meaning you can't just go by if the connector fits in the hole! Everything from very low mic levels to -10 line level to +4 line level to speaker level. Always read the manual.)

Back