Larry Fast Larry Fast Update 2020

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nov 18th
LARRY:
“Not too much at the moment. EVERYTHING has been pushed back during Covid. But, some serious plans underway to pick up the Synergy 5.1 re-releases when the label group I was talking with ramps operations back up after the pandemic. It looks certain that they'll survive the business downturn so we will be able to do this.

Still trying to get hold of the Nektar "Recycled" master multitracks for 5.1 remixing. Nektar's management is in negotiations with their German record company. I'm told the long-term outlook is hopeful, but no fixed timeline in the current environment. That's one project I really want to do.

Thanks for asking. Sorry it's been so very quiet, but that's the nature of what we're collectively experiencing.”

Nov 19th
TIM:
“No worries Larry, always nice to hear from you. Great news on Recycled and the label’s viability. Is there any chance the masters are available for 5.1 (or existing quad) mixing of Down To Earth? Some of that material was on the live SACD I was listening to the other day. That album never made it to SACD like Journey To The Center, Remember The Future or Live in NY did. Regards, Tim”

EDIT: Then I realize if the Down To Earth quad or multitrack masters were still around, we’d likely have seen an SACD of that when the other Nektar SACDs appeared.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update Tim (and Larry) - I'd been hoping this hadn't all gotten tossed aside with all that's going on. I suppose being locked down presents an opportunity to get a lot of the studio time work done...remixing, mastering etc....get stuff all ready to release when the timing is right.

Dec 9th
TIM:
"Thanks - After I sent that I got to thinking, if the master tapes were available, they'd have likely issued an SACD of that album if the masters were available at the time. Fingers crossed."

Dec 10th
LARRY:
"The license deal in the early 2000s terminated and reverted back to the original company before they got through the whole catalog doing the SACDs."

While we wait for a 5.1 Recycled , I recommend checking out the 'Emerick mix' that was included as a bonus on the last CD remaster of the album. I prefer it to the final mix! It's less bombastic/reverbed, and some parts are different..also, its mastering is full dynamic range, while the mastering of the standard mix on that CD is pretty damn loud

Back