Larry Fast Update 2021-2023

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tim, I came across this tidbit from Mark Anderson's QUADRAPHONIC DISCOGRAPHY. Do you have any further info on this:

SYNERGY -
Classical Gas (Mono) B/W Synergy. Passport PPA-7907 (QS45)
{Unmarked quad 45rpm single from quad only album}
Classical Gas B/W Synergy. Sire-Passport 6078-502 (QS45) [Germany],
6078-600 (QS45) [UK]

Tim, I came across this tidbit from Mark Anderson's QUADRAPHONIC DISCOGRAPHY. Do you have any further info on this:

SYNERGY -
Classical Gas (Mono) B/W Synergy. Passport PPA-7907 (QS45)
{Unmarked quad 45rpm single from quad only album}
Classical Gas B/W Synergy. Sire-Passport 6078-502 (QS45) [Germany],
6078-600 (QS45) [UK]
Oxford Dickie's view was Classical Gas was not QS encoded. All of his QS decodes of Synergy apart from the earliest omitted Classical Gas. It wasn't on the first release of the album anyway, so probably mixed at a different time.

I would hope that he would do a direct transfer of the quad tapes to Blu-ray (or SACD) leaving the sub and center channels silent instead of creating a upmixed sub and center. I continue to be very impressed with the Vocallian SACD's that follow this 4.0 path. On the other hand, it would be great to get complete remixes in either 5.1 or Atmos of the Synergy catalogue.

May 2nd, 2022 update from Larry:

ā€œThanks, Tim. Everything is slow with me and surround because I keep taking on mixing and producing work for other artists and labels--stereo only, I'm afraid.

However, I did get started on mixing some of the Synergy catalog in 5.1, though I'm taking a side trip exploring if I can get set up for Atmos at my place before I get in too far. These mixes are working from the recently digitized 16 and 24 track master tapes.

I'm also debating taking the discrete 4 track Quad master from the first Synergy album and making available limited quantities of BluRay versions adapted as 5.1 (or maybe 4.1). Probably would limit that to direct sales or Bandcamp. Just an idea that would be relatively easy to put into production. And that's today's status report. Thanks for checking in. Larryā€
The Quad on a BDA with a silent Centre would be great (I don't have an LFE so don't care about the .1!) via Bandcamp, even a flac though Bandcamp can't handle that, Quad flac via IAA.

APRIL 2023

TIM: "Hi Larry, goodness time slips by. Just checking to see if anything is new on your front? Best regards, Tim"

LARRY: "Yes, time does slip away. My biggest hurdle has been establishing meaningful worldwide distribution for finished surround product. Without that, it all becomes a vanity project. I am now in discussions with a company based in Europe and the US expressing great interest--all formats from high end immersive audio to quality vinyl. Pivotal business meeting set up in New York in early June.

Almost all of the Synergy 16 and 24 multitrack masters have now been digitized track-by-track at 24/96, for mixing, with some mixing already started on a newly upgraded studio computer system. First major computer update/rebuild since 2009 for me.

I did have a timeline setback recently because my mom had been very ill during the last two years and passed away a few weeks ago. I will have family and estate executor obligations through the spring and summer, but I'll continue on the project as time permits.

I appreciate your continued interest and persistence."

Almost all of the Synergy 16 and 24 multitrack masters have now been digitized track-by-track at 24/96, for mixing, with some mixing already started on a newly upgraded studio computer system.
And the existing 4 track quad master? Has that been digitised? I'm much more interested in that in discrete digital than a new 5.1 or Atmos mix. Obviously having both new and old mixes would widen the appeal in the market.

Wonder if Paul Sinclair @ SDE would be at all interested in releasing Larry Fast's Electronic Realizations on BD~A in 4.0, 5.1 and ATMOS?
Larry said the following, and SDE aren't worldwide distribution it's basically order from the UK and suck up the postage costs. I agree however that something like SDE might be easier to get off the ground.

My biggest hurdle has been establishing meaningful worldwide distribution for finished surround product. Without that, it all becomes a vanity project.

Two weeks of work travel now completed! I heard from Larry Fast while traveling:

OCT29 TIM: Hi Larry, checking in to see if anything is new with you? You may have noticed so many music releases aimed squarely at our demographic in recent months! Nektar - Remember the Future box is on my radar (have the 5.1 SACD already) and the massive Camel box set when it comes down a bit in price. Hope to see your albums join this trend soon. Physical product is still very much alive and preferred by many.

Finally just went full Atmos (5.2.4) in my main system and itā€™s nice. Varies by album mix of course but encouraging. More about that when work travels end.

Best, Tim

NOV 08
LARRY: Lots happening, but on an extended timeline. The deal for worldwide distribution is in later stages of negotiation. It's complicated and includes HD streaming, optical discs and premium vinyl. I can't really say much about particulars under NDA because of the nature of the structure being established. Shooting for some activity in Q2 2024.

It's always best practice to lock in the P&D deals first. The best recorded product without a meaningful distribution isn't likely to earn back production costs for the artist. Important to establish that foundation first.

Regarding Remember The Future, I believe that all the original 1973 vinyl discs were SQ quad even if it wasn't promoted that way in the US. That encoding should be there in the archival copies. The 5.1 was done in 2002 for the SACD releases at Esoteric. I guess that the coming reissue will be new immersive mixes, but I don't know for sure. I'm out of that information loop.

Nice that you went Atmos 5.2.4. Any particular albums that you've found to be standouts? And which are the most mediocre?

Thanks for staying in touch.

I would like a nice Blu-ray. In the meantime Iā€™ll give the Q8 another listen. Hope Larry can git-r-done.

Attachments

• B510F516-FB3D-438F-8BD7-66122841F611.jpeg
    B510F516-FB3D-438F-8BD7-66122841F611.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
I am also in the camp of purchasing any Synergy music that comes out in multichannel. We REALLY need a 50th anniversary edition of "Electronic Realizations For Rock Orchestra" in 2025!"
And may i add, if it would be a 5.1 remix, plus an Atmos version if really needed, we also get the original 'classic' mix.

Back