Larry Fast Update 2021-2023

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbre4

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
While COVID 19 put the brakes on his Synergy plans, Larry has just informed me it's back on with his legacy quad / new surround mix projects! Important assets have re-surfaced and he is assessing where they fit; we are definitely in for a treat.
He says this is still in early stages but moving along now. I can assure you by what he wrote that the electricity is definitely back on in the laboratory. There will be further dispatches as he gives me the go ahead to share them with you. :51QQ

TIM: "In regards to your album master tapes, have they been transferred to digital or is that happening soon?"

LARRY: “Hi Tim- Thanks for asking. There is some news and positive momentum. Everything was delayed badly during Covid. Now that businesses are opening back up, just last week I brought in the last of the Synergy albums’ analog multitrack master reels for cleaning, restoration and transfer to HD digital audio. There is quite a backlog at the transfer studio, though. Once those transfers are done, I’ll finally be in a position to create new surround mixes of the original album recordings. It won’t be a quick process, but it has never been closer to becoming a reality.”

Last edited:
Soon ... You will be OURS!

R.9fdecc451a837d22c55848395dc3c9c6

R.8b0cb48fbc4e4ba41a6093992914be86

See the source image

LARRY FAST

TIM: “Can you share what you’re thinking about doing with your Synergy album masters?”

LARRY: “I’m also trying to decide what to do with the recently resurfaced 4 channel discrete analog masters of the first Synergy album from 1975. That album was encoded on vinyl in QS surround from 4 track tape. The discrete 4 channel mixes, which sounded spatially much more distinct in the studio than QS, never had a good format for distribution.

The original analog 4 channel mix reels have been transferred to 24-96 digital. The old mixes could become a stand-alone audio DVD, Blu-ray or digital download. Or maybe they should be included as a separate archival feature alongside a 5.1 newly remixed version from the original multitrack. Still to be determined.”

Last edited:
Here's hoping it's some form of physical disc containing both a new 5.1 and the olde 4ch Quad mixes.
Having the original Quad and new 5.1 on a single disc is ideal!
I get a lot of pleasure from the Dark Side and Wish You Were Here immersion sets having the choice for each listening session.

Completely agree with the above sentiments! Having both old school quad and modern surround mixes would be fantastic. Take my money!

TIM: “Since Dolby Atmos album mixing has become a thing lately, has there been any contemplation of this type of mixing?”

LARRY: “Hi Tim- I’ve had the opportunity to experiment with some new dimensional and height mixing technologies still in development. Some fascinating alternatives to approaches already out there. More about this once I’m free to disclose details.”

-Larry

TIM: “Since Dolby Atmos album mixing has become a thing lately, has there been any contemplation of this type of mixing?”

LARRY: “Hi Tim- I’ve had the opportunity to experiment with some new dimensional and height mixing technologies still in development. Some fascinating alternatives to approaches already out there. More about this once I’m free to disclose details.”

-Larry

Very interesting. It does feel as if Dolby Atmos has created a pathway for greater acceptability of surround sound for music artists.

Now that we've finally got some VDGG in surround, it's Synergy's turn! Please!!!!!!

Not to worry; Larry handles nearly all aspects in this scenario and posts above confirm his intentions to do so. That’s quite unlike a label, mix engineer and artist having to come to agreement to move anything forward.

I checked in with Larry recently and he offered this update on getting his tapes prepped:

LARRY: "I was hoping to be well into the first mixes by now. In July I brought 15 reels of multi-tracks for cleaning, baking and digitizing to Sonicraft, the archival transfer studio I've been using for years. They warned me that with Covid staff shortages and a long queue it could be weeks until they could turn my work around. Still waiting. I was going to start with one of the easier projects, but I'm still on hold. I wish that I had news for you, but it has to wait a little longer. Except for the lack of source material, I'd be good to start. Thanks."

I checked in with Larry recently and he offered this update on getting his tapes prepped:

LARRY: "I was hoping to be well into the first mixes by now. In July I brought 15 reels of multi-tracks for cleaning, baking and digitizing to Sonicraft, the archival transfer studio I've been using for years. They warned me that with Covid staff shortages and a long queue it could be weeks until they could turn my work around. Still waiting. I was going to start with one of the easier projects, but I'm still on hold. I wish that I had news for you, but it has to wait a little longer. Except for the lack of source material, I'd be good to start. Thanks."

I’m giddy at the thought of hearing Sequence 14 in surround!

May 2nd, 2022 update from Larry:

“Thanks, Tim. Everything is slow with me and surround because I keep taking on mixing and producing work for other artists and labels--stereo only, I'm afraid.

However, I did get started on mixing some of the Synergy catalog in 5.1, though I'm taking a side trip exploring if I can get set up for Atmos at my place before I get in too far. These mixes are working from the recently digitized 16 and 24 track master tapes.

I'm also debating taking the discrete 4 track Quad master from the first Synergy album and making available limited quantities of BluRay versions adapted as 5.1 (or maybe 4.1). Probably would limit that to direct sales or Bandcamp. Just an idea that would be relatively easy to put into production. And that's today's status report. Thanks for checking in. Larry”

Back