Laser Turntable Price Drop

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCunningham

Well it seems the folks over at the ELP Laser Turntable site have announced new lower pricing on all their gear. Still out of my price range, but what the hey, I can dream can't I?

ELP Turntables

It's about time they lowered the price on that thing! I feel sorry for the folks who shelled out over 20 grand for it only to see it drop in price by over 50%. It's still out of the ballpark for me. If it ever reaches 2K I might consider one. They are pretty cool, that's for sure.

The question I would have is - does the Laser Turntable have the frequency response to pick up and play back the carrier tone on the CD-4 Quadradiscs?

If so, that would make it more interesting.

It would be nice if it did, but from what I understand it wasn't designed for CD-4. Still, it might work, or might could be modified to work. I am sure any roloff would be imposed by the electronics and not the optics. I do not understand why they have to price it so high in the first place, It would be far better to price it for a couple of thousand and create a demand for it and start mass production on a small scale. Who can afford to pay that kind of money to play music? Not the general public, that's for sure.

The Quadfather

Here's another old thread that I only just read. These things are going for about $7000 now, and you have to replace the laser or some part on occassion for about $500. What happens if the company goes belly up in the meantime? I was looking in to them and exchanged several emails with the president of the company, an extremely nice japanese gentleman. He assured me that although the stated frequency range is only to 20k, that it would go plenty high to play cd 4s. He said 45k was no problem. Found a guy in Seattle, where I live who has one, but he hasn't let me invade his house yet to hear it. I planned to take some cd 4s with me if I could convince him. I'll let you know if he caves.
Marc

Back