Last Quad Album you bought during the Quad Era

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfbkfb

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Summer of 1978:
I was in CO on a family vacation, went in to a Mall (probably Foothills Mall in Fort Collins).

Stopped in to a Mall record store and asked them where their Quad records were.

They said they had just moved them all to the back room in order to send them back,
they let me go in to the back room and look through them, I found the German SQ LP
of "Dark Side of the Moon"' and bought it.

(I ordered the last RCA Quadradisc ARD1-3412, but the local record store couldn't get
it, the only time a special order anything didn't happen)

In 1981, the Peaches record store in Overland Park KS still had a Quad records section,
but I didn't buy anything.

Kirk Bayne

Streetlife Serenade - Billy Joel SQ
Turnstiles - Billy Joel SQ

I had bought Piano Man SQ a few years earlier.

both were sealed and OOP

early 1979. Mayfair Record Shop (RIP)
Mayfair Shopping Center (Mayfair Mall today)
Wauwatosa (Milwaukee) Wisconsin

I was woking at Pacific Stereo in Chicago. Got a nice commission check from Christmas sales. Since it was burning a hole in my pocket, I decided to go get some German Food at Karl Ratzsch's (RIP) and do some power record shopping on my day off.

I had just won a preamp, tuner, 500w power amp and turntable for being #2 in the region for sales during December. So, I was buying lots of new records.

Funny, my Milwaukee trips always included food and records. They still do. One of our trips there this past year included Mader's, Glorioso's, Sciortino's, and Exclusive Company record store (Say it with Me.) We also met Kelsea Ballerini and attended her show at the Riverside. Next night, we saw/heard Steve Winwood, also at the Riverside.

On Wisconsin!

Streetlife Serenade - Billy Joel SQ
Turnstiles - Billy Joel SQ

I had bought Piano Man SQ a few years earlier.

both were sealed and OOP

early 1979. Mayfair Record Shop (RIP)
Mayfair Shopping Center (Mayfair Mall today)
Wauwatosa (Milwaukee) Wisconsin

I was woking at Pacific Stereo in Chicago. Got a nice commission check from Christmas sales. Since it was burning a hole in my pocket, I decided to go get some German Food at Karl Ratzsch's (RIP) and do some power record shopping on my day off.

I had just won a preamp, tuner, 500w power amp and turntable for being #2 in the region for sales during December. So, I was buying lots of new records.

Funny, my Milwaukee trips always included food and records. They still do. One of our trips there this past year included Mader's, Glorioso's, Sciortino's, and Exclusive Company record store (Say it with Me.) We also met Kelsea Ballerini and attended her show at the Riverside. Next night, we saw/heard Steve Winwood, also at the Riverside.

On Wisconsin!

Love that:love:- "power record shopping":LOL:(y) I still miss that kind of shopping at Tower, then go next door to the famous "Sam's Hof Brau" and git me a pastrami on a dipped bun with tater salad and their great dill chips (They are still there!) Goood times (Lute is lucky)

Having given up on buying SQ/QS/CD~4 Vinyl, I had switched to Quad Open Reel and vaguely remember they were ceasing production altogether of Open Reels and bought a slew of Q4/Stereo Reels from Magtec and Ampex vendors who were blowing them out ........ as to the exact titles ....... I'd be fibbin' if I 'attempted' to accurately recall the exact titles.

51M0XLCazeL._SS500.jpg

While I'm on the subject of Open Reels, I do recall one of the last dolby b encoded Open Reels which was manufactured by Ampex was a double chock~filled reel of DISCO HITS......Stereo of course! Now if I only knew where it is.

The last "real time issued" quad LP's I bought back then were the Tomita's that RCA imported from Japan, Bermuda Triangle and Daphne and Clois. During the '80s of course there were many quad LP's available in the cut out bins of the local Zayre's, Woolco's, and every other department store and record store that sold cut-outs. The quads were just mixed in so you virtually had to scan every jacket in the racks to make sure you didn't miss one. Another time, another place.

The last "real time issued" quad LP's I bought back then were the Tomita's that RCA imported from Japan, Bermuda Triangle and Daphne and Clois. During the '80s of course there were many quad LP's available in the cut out bins of the local Zayre's, Woolco's, and every other department store and record store that sold cut-outs. The quads were just mixed in so you virtually had to scan every jacket in the racks to make sure you didn't miss one. Another time, another place.

Wow, Jon, you're making teary eyed and I didn't even get to experience that (didn't get into surround until the 90's.)

The quads were just mixed in so you virtually had to scan every jacket in the racks to make sure you didn't miss one. Another time, another place.

That part actually hasn't changed much today- I've been hitting a lot of record stores lately and it's surprising how many quad LPs are out there in the wild, if you're willing to dig for them. The store owners always seem to know about them too...

Back