LATEST Piece of Gear in Your Stack - What is it?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like a very gratifying project & I bet it will look good.
The only I might suggest is getting rolling casters to mount it on instead of regular furniture feet. It's so much easier to swivel away from a wall to mess with wires.
Well the gear sits on an old oak dining room table, as well as my left surround and left surround back speaker. Very smooth and no problems sliding something. I keep it waxed. lol.

Well not exactly audio gear, but I've built a cabinet (basically a box with no front or back) to hold/support my two AVR's.
It's 3/4" smooth finish plywood.
The top and bottom pieces are screwed to the sides using my little Jeg's device, and of course glued. I added some full round 3/4" trim on the front.
Since space is an issue, I have to stack one AVR on top the other. So the box will contain one AVR, and the other will rest on top.
I will be painting it black, hopefully I can start on that today after flushing all the dust out of my shop with my leaf blower. lol. ...or maybe just the shop vac. We'll see.
No pics yet as it's unfinished, and in reality it IS just a box, but sturdy enough I think to hold my +30 Lb AVR on top.
I will also be adding some round furniture feet, already purchased with attaching screw brackets. 2.5-in (Diameter) x 1.5-in (Height) Bun-ft Maple Sofa Table Leg is how it's listed at Lowe's.
Paint will be flat black acrylic latex.
I’ll add to the suggetion list that you use a urethane to paint at least the shelves, because I’ve had issues with other finishes NEVER actually drying. I used an oil-based urethane varnish on my walnut-stained oak-faced plywood shelves (see build thread in my sig), and everything continues to slide out just fine a couple of years later.

Previous latex paints had a tendency to have books, records, electronics and nicknacks stick, and what got pulled loose was unpredictable.

I’ll add to the suggetion list that you use a urethane to paint at least the shelves, because I’ve had issues with other finishes NEVER actually drying. I used an oil-based urethane varnish on my walnut-stained oak-faced plywood shelves (see build thread in my sig), and everything continues to slide out just fine a couple of years later.

Previous latex paints had a tendency to have books, records, electronics and nicknacks stick, and what got pulled loose was unpredictable.
Well it's not a fancy cabinet, it's literally a box that will hold one AVR and another will set on top. I already have an audio cabinet but it won't fit in the audio room.

I got one coat on yesterday, and in spite of being flat black it's turned out better than I thought it would (bangs head against wall for ordering flat instead of glossy). But it's literally nothing fancy, just sturdy so it will hold a 30+ lb AVR on top. It's a space saving thing, and also easier to slide both AVR's at once when I need to attend to speaker cables, etc.

This is my first go around with acrylic paint of this type, so we'll se how it goes as far as durability. Since the AVR's will sit in place more or less permanently, I think it will be fine. Going to add a second coat today and call it done.
I've built all sorts of cabinets, bookshelfs, speaker stands that turned out well but I really needed to keep this simple and low budget.

The leftover plywood will go to other projects.

My Black Friday buy! New headphones!!

IMG_20231128_161605904.jpg
IMG_20231128_161648890.jpg
IMG_20231128_161710909.jpg

So , my wife felt I was gettting a little bored (which I was) , ‘been in a little bit of funk lately I guess , she encouraged me to get back to Djing at home and build a little studio .. Denon dj prime 4 plus , an amazing piece of modern djing .. streaming , all the latest bells and whistles .. I’ve been messing with it for 2 weeks now .. boy things have come a long ways from the Technics 1200s ..a lot of fun .. have to make time to listen the latest quad arrivals soon!:)
IMG_9843.jpeg

So , my wife felt I was gettting a little bored (which I was) , ‘been in a little bit of funk lately I guess , she encouraged me to get back to Djing at home and build a little studio .. Denon dj prime 4 plus , an amazing piece of modern djing .. streaming , all the latest bells and whistles .. I’ve been messing with it for 2 weeks now .. boy things have come a long ways from the Technics 1200s ..a lot of fun .. have to make time to listen the latest quad arrivals soon!:)
View attachment 99154
Probably a dumb question, but what do you mean, "DJ'ing at home" How does that work?

View attachment 99154
I have a buddy who livestreams on Twitch; he's been DJing for decades! You might check him out, and if you dig it, give him some competition or start your own following!

Back