LATEST Piece of Gear in Your Stack - What is it?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
STILL waiting for that turntable! Still stacking my shelves! It won't be long now . . .
BCBA6BA3-01C4-4184-87D1-F36F36E0A702_1_105_c.jpeg

A Project Debut Carbon, right? I should have sold you mine! It's sitting in a box in the basement...since I bought a new one a year ago.
Damn, comrade! You're a couple of posts out of the loop! That Pro-Ject Debut came destroyed! I decided to replicate the deck and cartridge i have working upstairs. But seriously, had i known you had one in the basement, i'd have driven down and hit some record stores with you! And listened to some of those albums your son bought you! And bought you a couple of beers! Damn!

Damn, comrade! You're a couple of posts out of the loop! That Pro-Ject Debut came destroyed! I decided to replicate the deck and cartridge i have working upstairs. But seriously, had i known you had one in the basement, i'd have driven down and hit some record stores with you! And listened to some of those albums your son bought you! And bought you a couple of beers! Damn!
Oh no!!! Seriously? Bro, if I can help out, let me know. Mine is in perfect condition and has a upgraded cartridge.

I'm not a fan of the Pro-RE-Ject's TTs; awhile back I got a new-in-box Pro-Ject and it felt like a toy to me ( and it arrived new in box and was dead on arrival, had to send it back!) Went for a Technics and never looked back! Just no damned good gear QC anymore 😞

Well, tracking says my "cosmetically imperfect" Audio Technica AT-LP120XUSB is a mere 9 stops away. I've already watched a YouTube video and checked out the recommended tracking force for the Audio Technica VM540ML cartridge, so ima give it a shot! Gonna have to put my shelves on hold for now, but they are filling up! Should also be a 50th Anniversary limited edition of Super Fly arriving as well, so that will be the first LP i spin downstairs–it is hoped!
A73D0318-C156-4F63-BB6D-3B28120F6DBA_1_105_c.jpeg

https://www.discogs.com/release/243...er-Fly-The-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack

I see absolutely NOTHING wrong with this deck! No "cosmetic imperfections" at all! It's missing a manual, but that's online, and the YouTube video i watched told me everything i needed to know. I didn't even have to call DJ Evil Vince to set this up for me! He's getting ready for his New Year's Eve livestream anyway. Ima be spinning my way into the new year! Spin On, Comrades – and Happy New Year, QQ!
DBF3C9F4-6CE1-42DA-B64D-F202D9D87272_1_105_c.jpeg

Just unpacked a new MC Scheu R 3 cartridge, once installed we'll take the Naniki Micro Ridge
stylus mounted on boron cantilever for a spin.

Think the dogs will really like this one, FR is 10 to 50,000Hz

ruby1.jpg

Last edited:
Just unpacked a new MC Scheu R 3 cartridge, once installed we'll take the Naniki Micro Ridge
stylus mounted on boron cantilever.

Think the dogs will really like this one, FR is 10 to 50,000Hz

View attachment 86907
It looks like a winner to me! Gotta love a cart that comes with a bubble level. Good buy!

Edit: oh and the specs are quite grand.

I have two turntables available for use, a Technics SL-1200mk2, and Ion iTT03, which was initially a backup unit. I've found the internal wiring of the Ion is more suitable for CD-4 than that of the Technics, and
the Ion can also play 78rpm records. I've found a company that releases stereo 78rpm records, Rivermont Records, that offers some great sounding jazz discs that are cut at 78rpm, and are, of course, microgroove. They carry a warning, not to play them on your old, monaural, wind-up gramophone! With these turntables, I use a variety of cartridges. Cartridges are like speakers; they don't all sound alike. Having the variety of them that I do, lets me use the best cartridge for a particular record. But the cartridges that seems to fit the bill with the widest variety of records are those from Denon. In particular, I like the DL-103S, which has a Shibata stylus, and the DL-110 and 160 high output moving coil models. The 160, unfortunately, has been discontinued, but the 110 is very close in performance. Both have response up to 50kHz (the 103S goes out to 60kHz), and handle CD-4 quite nicely. I recently picked up two 110's, brand new, from eBay, and a "slightly used" 103S, that's working beautifully. Examining the stylus under a microscope showed that it had practically no wear on it. The two 110's are spares for the one currently mounted up for use.

After reading SO many wonderful posts regarding the SMv.2, i purchased one in the summer of 2019 . . . and i FINALLY opened it this morning! Been a rough three years in ClementLand! I'm reading instructions and reaching out to QQ mentors. It is my hope to get things up and running in, well, fewer than 3 years!
C3CD50D0-8D5C-492E-8026-774C117E5442_1_105_c.jpeg

If you have questions about it, please ask. The setup is pretty straight-forward. What will you be connecting it to?
I'm hooking it up to the AVR i used to use for surround movies and then music:
https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/3/319803/01_om_rx-v2400.pdfI'm using an Audio Technica AT-LP120XUSB TT, a Sony BDP-S380, and an oppo DV-980H.
I'm trying to wrap my mind around how to hook them all up. It will probably be next week (have to head on the road to help out my daughter), but i thought it best to get the lay of the land before i start plugging things in! Peace!

This will be easy. You have the multichannel analog inputs on that receiver; the outputs from the Surround Master will connect to those inputs. Use the tape rec output connection on the receiver to feed the input of the SM. When you want to listen through the SM, turn on the multichannel inputs (button 11, on the diagram you sent). Make sure the tape out mode is set to "Source".

With the receiver turned on, the tape output set to "source", and the multichannel input turned on, and the SM turned on as well, you're ready to adjust the SM. Start with the input level control in the middle detent setting. Set the SM to the Involve 4.1 setting. Play a record; slowly turn the input level control up until the red LED, directly over the control, begins to flash with the music. Back off of it slightly. You only want to see that flicker on extreme program peaks. Adjust it more if you need to. The level controls should start at the detent settings; you can adjust them to your taste as needed. Ideally, the level should be the same on all channels, but your listening position, and room layout, may dictate a different setting.

The Involve setting gives you both 4.1 and 5.1 settings. The 4.1 setting gives you the front and rear speakers, as well as your subwoofer. The 5.1 adds the center into the mix, as well. When playing music, try both settings. I prefer the 4.1 for music; try both and see which one you prefer. You have the same settings for SQ. The Involve mode does a great job with QS-encoded music, as well as Dolby Surround. It also does great things with stereo recordings, creating a very solid surround image with most. The effect will depend on the recording itself. The SQ mode should be used for SQ-encoded records; you could also use it with stereo records, but the effect is better with Involve. TSS is Two Speaker Surround. It created a wide soundfield with only two speakers.

Have fun with your SM. You'll rediscover your record and CD collection, all over again.

I think i understand! Thank you SO much to @jaybird100 @J. PUPSTER and @Sonik Wiz for your help and advice! I should be able to get it up and running early next week. Have to hit the road soon to help my daughter out; her neck of the woods is getting hit with a snowstorm now! Perfect. Watching the weather reports for a good travel window. Until departure, i've been protecting all those albums i've slowly been resurrecting from the basement! Looking good so far!
0F0439BF-D785-4FC1-9E81-6815A7EE5A90_1_105_c.jpeg
3BBA8D4F-F8E1-4F6B-BEB0-BA382024EEB5_1_105_c.jpeg

Back