LATEST Piece of Gear in Your Stack - What is it?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The shelves are filling up nicely! I may have to stop making trips to the basement . . . nah–plenty of room!
1673772234018.png

Took a good 4 hours when all was said and done, but Tuesday night's haul off of FB Marketplace from two sellers.

Acoustic Research TSW 110, $40/pair

Utah A-90, $75/pair

They're not quite cosmetically flawless, but close.

They're a little bit of an upgrade over my previous pairing of Synergistics S-22 mains and Optimus LX-7 surrounds... 😅

Last fall my music server computer got killed by one of Florida's famous
lightning strikes. It also took out my Marantz AV7703 Pre/Pro, and a few other smaller
items. I replaced the Marantz with an on-sale Denon X4700H and the computer was temp
replaced with an ancient tower being thrown out by a friend.
A few weeks back another friend and member here (@boondocks) generously offered me a used Gigabyte motherboard & i7 cpu. It took me a couple
weeks to get a few more pieces together but now it's up and running in my old CoolerMaster
giant tower. It's turned out to be an awesome box here, handling all my needs while holding my 12TB of SSD's and including serving up 4k video concerts & movies without a blink.
Thank God for the good people of this world.

IMG_0028.JPG

Last edited:
Last fall my music server computer got killed by one of Florida's famous
lightning strikes. It also took out my Marantz AV7703 Pre/Pro, and a few other smaller
items. I replaced the Marantz with an on-sale Denon X4700H and the computer was temp
replaced with an ancient tower being thrown out by a friend.
A few weeks back another friend and member here (@boondocks) generously offered me a used Gigabyte motherboard & i7 cpu. It took me a couple
weeks to get a few more pieces together but now it's up and running in my old CoolerMaster
giant tower. It's turned out to be an awesome box here, handling all my needs while holding my 12TB of SSD's and including serving up 4k video concerts & movies without a blink.
Thank God for the good people of this world.

View attachment 90507

Good to read this update. I've been curious how things were turning out since your electro-disaster. I can't help but wonder... did insurance pay anything? And did you lose any data or just hardware?

It seemed likely to me that @boondocks would have both the generosity and parts on hand to help you out. Good on him!

My main rig is also built into a Coolermaster Cosmos. Besides the panels being noise reducing I love how easy they slip off & back on. Good air flow. I've been through three builds with it. Your wiring is much neater than mine!

I can't help but wonder... did insurance pay anything? And did you lose any data or just hardware?
Nope, not a penny, act of God and all that. I didn't press it anyway.
Just lost the hardware, nothing on my SSD drives thank goodness. \

It seemed likely to me that @boondocks would have both the generosity and parts on hand to help you out. Good on him!
@boondocks is the best, can't ask for a better friend!

Coolermaster Cosmos goes on my shopping list. Learned something new today.....
They're great cases. The Cosmos line are built like tanks and will last a lifetime.
They are getting a bit pricey in todays market.

well, it's not AUDIO gear but it's equally important...and OMG is it COMFYYYYY...woke up and ,as usual I opened the shades to do dishes and make brekky and HEY, WHAZZAT IN MY PORCH? .. a HUGE BOX with my new lovely Embody chair!
And, the best thing, NO ASSEMBLY REQUIRED! Open the box and , ROLL IT OUT!...and for $1,600 -after 20% discount- I think it's rather lovely! The personI chetted with told me that , if it ever starts making any noise that they would send me a new part to replace it!
Of course , i am now sitting on it...ahhhhhhh!!!
IMG_2759.JPG

well, it's not AUDIO gear but it's equally important...and OMG is it COMFYYYYY...woke up and ,as usual I opened the shades to do dishes and make brekky and HEY, WHAZZAT IN MY PORCH? .. a HUGE BOX with my new lovely Embody chair!
And, the best thing, NO ASSEMBLY REQUIRED! Open the box and , ROLL IT OUT!...and for $1,600 -after 20% discount- I think it's rather lovely! The personI chetted with told me that , if it ever starts making any noise that they would send me a new part to replace it!
Of course , i am now sitting on it...ahhhhhhh!!!
View attachment 91358

Nice! And expensive! It's the perfect chair for listening to those few multichannel mixes where they mistakenly swapped the fronts with the rears. One of those is the DTS version of A Space In Time. The new SDE limited edition with the correct quad channel placement, new 5.1 and Atmos mixes probably sells for as much as your new chair.

Back