LATEST Piece of Gear in Your Stack - What is it?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marantz CD-400B(e)
CD-4 Disc Demodulator

27CE7A1E-33A7-4E99-A751-F13E47A6C6A1.jpeg

peekaboo!

FDEC919A-31F4-47A9-9E7A-17F7AF5C9DAE.jpeg

long live QQ!

:51QQ

Nice, is that a AKAI CR-80, peaking through also?
Might need a sprucing up on that SM:whistle:

aye! that be a trusty ol' CR-80-SS ye spy! ๐Ÿง;)
it's a bit like it's owner.. the wrong side of forty, well used, rather knackered and in need of hugs and cuggles (and the odd prod from a soldering iron probably wouldn't go amiss!) ๐Ÿ˜‹

true! i imagine my SM's seen above average use maybe.. but it's all working great so i possibly won't get vn.2 just yet.. maybe a 2020 purchase, depends how deep DV get into those CBS SQ mixes i'm so enamoured of! ๐Ÿค” :love:

aye! that be a trusty ol' CR-80-SS ye spy! ๐Ÿง;)
it's a bit like it's owner.. the wrong side of forty, well used, rather knackered and in need of hugs and cuggles (and the odd prod from a soldering iron probably wouldn't go amiss!) ๐Ÿ˜‹

true! i imagine my SM's seen above average use maybe.. but it's all working great so i possibly won't get vn.2 just yet.. maybe a 2020 purchase, depends how deep DV get into those CBS SQ mixes i'm so enamoured of! ๐Ÿค” :love:

Haven't tried that DV SQ yet, but will soon (always bothers me a little when folks here complain of not enough surround stuff to listen to- I'll never get to it all!!!)
Well here's a little bunce of :love:๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿคฉ๐Ÿค—; and hey, having a good dog ๐Ÿ• or even a hedgehog๐Ÿฆ” around doesn't hurt either.

So Freddie, what did you have before your new Marantz CD-400B(e)?

good question Mister Pupster! :love:
i started out with a JVC 4DD-5.. but the 1st JVC soon went screwy for no reason so i got a 2nd JVC which was fine.. but when a cute little Grundig Quadro popped up on eBay (it's said to be one of the handful of later models with the CD4-392 "holy grail" chip) i had to try it! placebo effect i dunno but i felt the Grundig an improvement on the JVC. i never got quite the same sensation of separation channel wipeout i got from the 2nd JVC there's always some kind of subtle blending going on but the Grundig to me has a cleaner smoother sound.

from the last couple of hours playing around with the Marantz and comparing recorded results with old JVC & Grundig demodulated transfers of the same discs, the Marantz has definitely got a different sound again, a different presentation to the others, a tad darker maybe? there's more bass for sure and i'm noticing different details popping out of the channels.
separation is as good as the 2nd JVC (very very good) but above all it was an absolute doddle to set up, the easiest CD-4 unit to get up and running i've tried so far (maybe i'm just getting better at it! haha..) fingers crossed it lives a long and fruitful life in my little Quad setup! only time will tell!๐Ÿคž

Very sweet, wasn't aware of this one Mark:hi.
On sale too- https://www.video-storm.com/proddetail.asp?prod=csm42
Great deal and the right size. A Zektor would be a second choice but did not need a unit 17 inches wide. This unit has one draw back as all channels are not isolated when switching so I get a click on my subwoofer channel but not bad. It has the highest isolation between channels and a 100mhz bandwidth higher than a Zektor. I have to say it is the most transparent sounding switch i have used compared to 4 others i have had

Shades of Quadlinda I have a Russound QT1 on its way to me comes with the manual and all the patch cords. Looks like some masking tape residue on the face but otherwise looked clean in the photos. Time for some manual switching James Bond style.

I just doubled up. Running two pair of Full Range speaker cable on my Mains - Right , Center and Left. Amps had 4 jacks per channel as did the speakers. So - what the heck. No more single biwire

Doesn't say "analog" in the thread title...
Hmmm...

Well anyway, a RME Digiface USB

This has to be one of the coolest-looking pieces of quad gear out there.

View attachment 66395

wow congrats!! that is a stunning piece of kit and it looks in top condition!!
i always wanted one..maybe someday.. but they don't go cheap! did you get it for a reasonable price?

i see you've got the CCC controls set halfway as recommended if you don't have the specific test tones (or do you have the Technics disc with the CCC tones and that's where they work out best?).. carrier level looks very close on both channels, those separation pots seem quite a way off from one another? might require a bit of channel balancing post-demodulation?

anyway! lovely find you must be chuffed! i'm thrilled for you! ๐Ÿค—

edit: btw how effective are you finding the Hi-Blend setting?
i found the Blend on the Grundig Quadro to be pointless as it wiped out so much of the separation ๐Ÿค”

Last edited:
Back