LATEST Piece of Gear in Your Stack - What is it?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my new-to-me SMV3. πŸ™‚ Fits nicely in my small gear area.
I just need to get more RCA cables to hook it up and I'll be sitting pretty.
View attachment 85860

Congratulations on the new addition to the family! I see you have the switch box ready to go as soon as you get some more cables. And of course the Lava Lamp just finishes it off perfectly.

Send a dark room pic sometime of all those glowing indicators & meters.

Elac D90 E18 for Miracord 90

View attachment 85842

View attachment 85843

View attachment 85844

now here's a curious thing i picked up from Germany.. its said to be an AT440MLb but rather than a lilac groove warrior its in black as dark knight garb! 🀩

well we shall jolly well see how it handles CD-4 in the fullness of time! πŸ‘€πŸ₯³
well it maybe needs a bit of running in, i don't know.. but so far it seems better with CD-4 than the AT540ML with regards to distortion and separation but not as good as my one remaining/functioning AT440MLb πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™€οΈπŸ˜« hey ho, the search continues! πŸ‘€πŸ€£πŸ₯³

well it maybe needs a bit of running in, i don't know.. but so far it seems better with CD-4 than the AT540ML with regards to distortion and separation but not as good as my one remaining/functioning AT440MLb πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™€οΈπŸ˜« hey ho, the search continues! πŸ‘€πŸ€£πŸ₯³
just a quick update; it seems Elac's Vn. of the AT440MLb works better on my SL-1210 than the linear tracking SL-7/SL-10. much better. just better suited to a pivot arm i guess rather than the stubby little P-mount/T4P type. anyway, we move on.. 😎

"oi! Fweddee! what's the latest gadget added to your piles!?"
(i hear all 3 of you cry!! πŸ˜…πŸ€£ )

why my dears its a Fostex VC-8 🀩
Analogue to Optical Digital converter.

so, the plan is to tinker with this wee gizmo in two quite different ways and see what the results are in each case, if it does anything at all;

1.) run the Surround Master's Analogue MultiCh Outputs through the VC-8 and see if i can get MultiCh Optical audio from it to an AVR (afaik this will be limited by the Fostex's converter which is 48k/16-bit!?)

2.) and/or run the 4 x Atmos Height channel Analogue Outs from the MOTU Interface hooked upto my Mac, Out to an Optical Input on the AVR. so i can then utilise EQ & Room Correction on those 4 x Height channels (currently they're using the AVR's Analogue MultiCh Inputs so only limited adjustments possible).

wish me luck my fellow Quaddies! πŸ€žπŸ˜‹πŸ€£

6A0DF3B1-AE0B-4DB9-89D5-EB2F81E3FFFD.jpeg

07DEFF3F-6231-47C3-A20A-37D30E2D028B.jpeg

1895EDE6-967F-410C-BFD8-15D0EED5E6E8.jpeg

A0B63A33-72B3-47DD-8812-A4FA7A756D54.jpeg

97F9D432-31FF-47E1-9356-D11587F82A48.jpeg

"oi! Fweddee! what's the latest gadget added to your piles!?"
(i hear all 3 of you cry!! πŸ˜…πŸ€£ )

why my dears its a Fostex VC-8 🀩
Analogue to Optical Digital converter.

so, the plan is to tinker with this wee gizmo in two quite different ways and see what the results are in each case, if it does anything at all;

1.) run the Surround Master's Analogue MultiCh Outputs through the VC-8 and see if i can get MultiCh Optical audio from it to an AVR (afaik this will be limited by the Fostex's converter which is 48k/16-bit!?)

2.) and/or run the 4 x Atmos Height channel Analogue Outs from the MOTU Interface hooked upto my Mac, Out to an Optical Input on the AVR. so i can then utilise EQ & Room Correction on those 4 x Height channels (currently they're using the AVR's Analogue MultiCh Inputs so only limited adjustments possible).

wish me luck my fellow Quaddies! πŸ€žπŸ˜‹πŸ€£

View attachment 86297

View attachment 86298

View attachment 86299

View attachment 86300

View attachment 86301
woo Fweddee! I don’t speak Cantonese :unsure:

But FWIW, can I live without an EJ Paper Towel holder now?

You Crazy!!!

well spotted Mister P! 😎
would you like to know what's in the green & white stripey bags? πŸ˜‹
hint: they're festively tasty! πŸŽ… πŸŽ„πŸ€€
well if, when you’re done with one, and you’re thinking you can shove that spoon into one of those Fostex ports…

Then yes! and I’ll take two to go please :ROFLMAO:

Jingle Bells, Freddie tells, and a lovely ride it’ll be πŸ›·

I love radiators. (steam not as much)
The only place I ever lived with radiators was an apartment my first wife and I rented.
Bad memories, we had just moved in about a week before Christmas 1974 when I noticed
smoke coming up around it's pipes from the basement. The 4 unit building burned to the
ground. :eek:

I grew up in a house with hot water heat. I love radiators. (steam not as much)
We had steam heat that sizzled in the winter. The furnace was coal fired. It was a major event when the coal truck made a delivery. By the time I got my first hi fi equipment, the furnace had been converted to natural gas. However the steam sizzle was still there and masked the clicks, pops and other surface noise from my LPs.

Christmas brought the Denon AVR-4700H. As mentioned in another thread, I was too impatient to wait for the 4800H to be released.

My two height speakers are at ear level for the moment. I had been debating where to mount them and whether that might change once I get two more height speakers. (I’ll also need a pre-amp, so that’s going to have to be later in 2023.)

In the end, I ordered two 4-foot speaker stands to go on top of desk areas in the back of the room. That will put the height speakers at about 6 or 7 feet. Then I can easily move them around until I find the right spot.

Back