Latest Whispers from Mr. Hurley

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick Cleasby

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
As usual, whenever I have cause to contact Mr. H, I enquire about the DVD-A status of whatever Warners act pops into my head at that time.

This week it was the turn of Talking Heads.

He agrees with me that Remain in Light and Speaking in Tongues are the ones to go for, location of multi-tracks permitting, and says talks with Jerry Harrison about 5.1 mixing will follow shortly after Rhino have wrapped up the Heads 3 CD/1 DVD box set.

Oh, and they're thinking about doing Sabbath!

I dunno if Sabbath lends itself to 5.1. The first album is pretty stripped....bass, guitar, drums, ozzy....not much to play with, unless we get the old ambience in the rears.

Where's Yes' 90125???? That's THE perfect album for 5.1

Paranoid in 24/96 surround? It's got to be heard!

Re 90125 - I couldn't agree more - the last time I asked the question was in March:

Sent: 3/3/2003 8:30 AM
Subject: Yes Query

Q1: Is that half of the Close to the Edge multitracks still missing?

Q2: Any alternative plans? (90125?!)

A: Still looking for the multi's, and yes, I am having discussions to do more Yes albums.

Instead of remixing, they could just release the quad mix of paranoid. It's a great mix in my opinion. I somehow doubt that will happen, Rhino has a tendancy of remixing even when a perfectly great quad mix already exists.

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>I dunno if Sabbath lends itself to 5.1. The first album is pretty stripped....bass, guitar, drums, ozzy....not much to play with, unless we get the old ambience in the rears.[/quote]
Actually, listening to the DVD-A of Deep Purple - Machine Head made me realize that multichannel is a great help for hard rock, because you can spread the instruments over 6 amplifiers and speakers instead of just 2.

For example, if you have a 5x100watt receiver and a 100watt subwoofer, then the stereo CD only plays through 200 watts and 2 speakers, while the 5.1 channel DVD-A plays through 600watts and 6 speakers.

When I listen to the DVD-A of Machine Head, having it play through 3 times the power makes a significant difference in the impact.

Back