Laura Nyro to Get Her Own Documentary

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5.1 4 Life

300 Club - QQ All-Star
From Rolling Stone.com-
A documentary about Rock and Roll Hall of Fame-inducted singer-songwriter Laura Nyro is in the works.

Nyro’s son Gil Bianchini will serve as an associate producer on the still-untitled film, which will begin production later this year, Deadline reports.

A music legend and feminist icon who emerged out of the late-Sixties, Nyro was both an renowned singer and accomplished songwriter. Her tracks became hits for artists like Barbra Streisand and Blood, Sweat & Tears, but her career was cut short when she died in 1997 at the age of 49 after a battle with breast cancer. She was posthumously inducted into the Rock Hall in 2012.

Among the producers on the Nyro doc are Ben Weisbren and Bonnie Greenberg, along with Vistas Media Capital. “I was first attracted to Laura Nyro’s music and life story by what David Geffen so poignantly said about her in Susan Lacy’s 2010 feature film Inventing David Geffen,” Waisbren said in a statement (Nyro was Geffen’s first client back when he was a music manager). “Her lyrics touched and galvanized a generation of women — words that have resonance today.”

The documentary is based in part on the 2003 book Soul Picnic: The Music and Passion of Laura Nyro by Michele Kort. Additionally, producers hope to recruit contemporary artists inspired by Nyro to perform her songs for the film.

“We are proud to make a documentary that illuminates such an important and respected artist who has a passionate following throughout the world,” Vistas Media Capital CEO Abhayanand Singh said in a statement. “There is a universality to Laura’s persona that appeals to audiences no matter where they live, and this is precisely what we are attracted to as producers and distributors–material that can really travel and be embraced globally.”

From Rolling Stone.com-
A documentary about Rock and Roll Hall of Fame-inducted singer-songwriter Laura Nyro is in the works.

Nyro’s son Gil Bianchini will serve as an associate producer on the still-untitled film, which will begin production later this year, Deadline reports.

A music legend and feminist icon who emerged out of the late-Sixties, Nyro was both an renowned singer and accomplished songwriter. Her tracks became hits for artists like Barbra Streisand and Blood, Sweat & Tears, but her career was cut short when she died in 1997 at the age of 49 after a battle with breast cancer. She was posthumously inducted into the Rock Hall in 2012.

Among the producers on the Nyro doc are Ben Weisbren and Bonnie Greenberg, along with Vistas Media Capital. “I was first attracted to Laura Nyro’s music and life story by what David Geffen so poignantly said about her in Susan Lacy’s 2010 feature film Inventing David Geffen,” Waisbren said in a statement (Nyro was Geffen’s first client back when he was a music manager). “Her lyrics touched and galvanized a generation of women — words that have resonance today.”

The documentary is based in part on the 2003 book Soul Picnic: The Music and Passion of Laura Nyro by Michele Kort. Additionally, producers hope to recruit contemporary artists inspired by Nyro to perform her songs for the film.

“We are proud to make a documentary that illuminates such an important and respected artist who has a passionate following throughout the world,” Vistas Media Capital CEO Abhayanand Singh said in a statement. “There is a universality to Laura’s persona that appeals to audiences no matter where they live, and this is precisely what we are attracted to as producers and distributors–material that can really travel and be embraced globally.”
I am sure @Quad Linda / Mamita Linda will probably be able to contribute to this doc ; she is an encyclopedia!!!

I hadn't heard any of Laura, herself, way back then but I, of course, knew "Stoned Soul Picnic" by the Fifth Dimension (who didn't?). A friend of mine told me to listen to her so I bought the "First Songs" album and that was it.

I still feel very sad when I think about her dying so young and at the same age as her mother of the same thing. And my mother, great aunt, and aunt. So terrible.

Doug

Thanks for posting this, 5.1 4 Life (LFE?). My husband E-Mailed me this earlier today.

Although some of you might appreciate it, I don't have time at present to go into great detail. Here are a few random thoughts:

Laura rarely played in Chicago, yet I caught her live here twice. In my top 10 artists. A gifted performer and a spectacular writer/poet. Truly a genius.

Her Son Gil was responsible for issuing some early demos and Live in Japan in the US for the first time on 2 separate CD (re)releases. Hopefully, he'll continue to be involved through new projects.

Would love to see Sony or D-V release BOTH Quad mixes of Eli on BD or SACD. As I recall, the second unreleased Quad mix has all but a couple songs.

A collected LP's box set w/unreleased bonus LP was released recently. I'd like to see a best of/rarities 4 CD (or more) box. Until then, I'll be spinning the Sony 2 CD best of, which was released soon after her death. It was later rebranded as "Essential."

I'll be one of the first in line at the theater. Likewise, I'll preorder the BD.

My favorite picture of her was on a website several years ago where she was sitting at, I believe, a kitchen table when she was very young, probably in her teens. I think she was still living at home at her parent's house. She looked so beautiful and vulnerable.

Then the picture disappeared from the site and then the site disappeared before I could contact the site owner about the photo. I haven't been able to find it since.

Doug

Back