Layla Box Set/5 discs/2 lp's/DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting this. If the description on that website is correct and it truly is the Elliot Schiener mix that was rejected originally, then it will be interesting to compare that 5.1 mix to the one that made it into the SACD.

That said... I'm disappointed in that it appears that---yet, again---we're being forced to buy a massive super duper expensive deluxe set just to get the 5.1 mix. If it had been a simpler CD+DVD package, I was all prepared to post how I'd buy it even though I don't particularly like "Layla". But I just can't if this is the only option. So here's to hoping that I've read something wrong.

Oh, well... nobody has to release anything 5.1 at all. So it's better than nothing for those who are willing to pay.

Wow. That would be great. The SACD leaves a lot to be desired.

Yes, it is sad that the only way to get it is to buy the "deluxe box with the kitchen sink". Maybe they'll start doing HiRez downloads in the future like the Band on the Run / All things must Pass deals.

Boy, we've really gone down the tubes, from being thrilled with DTS CDs, then getting SACDs and DVD-As, then getting........nothing, and the past year or so we're grasping at any little thing we can get from the big labels. Sad story, I suppose.

I'm bummed as I've already mentioned. However... That the Schiener mix *might* finally see light of day is somewhat of a shocker; and obviously a positive of some sort. Granted, I suppose in this situation the record company probably just looked around and said, "Hey, we've got this 5.1 mix we paid for and never used. Might as well add it in with the kitchen sink." So not quite as nice as a newly commissioned 5.1 mix, but it's good to see nonetheless.

I wonder what format they'll use? DVD-Audio seems unlikely, but hopefully they at least use full-rate DTS?

If someday down the road it were offered, I'd be interested in eventually buying a download of the Scheiner 5.1 if it turned out to be good, and if the price were reasonable.

Well, include me in!
As long as the 5.1 is released, it has to be better than the currently available offering.
We can but hope for full DVDA/lossless, but I think we will be dreaming in vain.

I don't recall a single DVD-A or SACD from UMG in the last couple of years, maybe I have missed one or two? If not, there is no reason to expect this release will be on either and since the information linked above indicates DVD, I think it will be a DVD-V which could certainly be very good.

Now imagine Acura 5.1 ads in theatres with Elliot's Layla mix! For real posted 6 hrs ago.....

[dead link removed]

Last edited:
Nice Tim.

WHY DIDN'T THEY DO THIS IN 2004, WHEN DVD-A's WERE IN THE FREAKING STORES??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

ARRRGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's another article! Welcomed, but the timing is very strange... Of course all they need do is press some DVD's again. Could one drum up support on any Acura car message boards or web sites? Give car owners the missing info about DVD-Audio at least.

Agency Goes "Inside Elliot's Head" and Inside Select Movie Theaters For Ambitious Commercial Touting Acura's ELS Audio System

http://www.shootonline.com/go/news-...-Surround-Sound-For-Si---Ad-Directed--60.html

Inside Elliot's Head Acura -- google search:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&expIds...ad++Acura+&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=6e8733203d1b4e27

Only in the "Super Deluxe" version (of course).

Track list followed by details:

DISC THREE (DVD): LAYLA and other assorted love songs
5.1 SURROUND SOUND DVD (DTS 5.1 and DOLBY SURROUND 5.1) by Elliot Scheiner (PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED 5.1 MIXES)
1. I LOOKED AWAY (3:06)
2. BELL BOTTOM BLUES (5:05)
3. KEEP ON GROWING (6:23)
4. NOBODY KNOWS YOU WHEN YOU’RE DOWN AND OUT (4:58)
5. I AM YOURS (3:35)
6. ANYDAY (6:36)
7. KEY TO THE HIGHWAY (9:38)
8. TELL THE TRUTH (6:40)
9. WHY DOES LOVE GOT TO BE SO SAD? (4:43)
10. HAVE YOU EVER LOVED A WOMAN (6:54)
11. LITTLE WING (5:33)
12. IT’S TOO LATE (3:51)
13. LAYLA (7:05)
14. THORN TREE IN THE GARDEN (2:51)
bonus track:
15. MEAN OLD WORLD (3.50)

http://www.whereseric.com/eric-clap...-layla-and-other-assorted-love-songs-turns-40

$80+???

That's gonna stiff. If a) it was DVD-A and b) there was no previous 5.1 mix issued that would be a leap. As it is, it's absurd.

Yeah. List price allegedly $124.98, Amazon Price $89.17

Priced somewhat like the Tom Petty Box, only this is a resell of a resell of a resell. I wish the SACD had the Elliot Schiener mix, then I wouldn't care about this release.
Heck, I have the original Layla box set from 20 years ago (or however long ago it was)

Not available in the UK either.
I have to import from USA, and will get hammered for Import Duty & VAT plus Handling Charge.
Can someone please PM me about a deal???

Not available in the UK or not yet available? Presumably Amazon UK might list it nearer its release date?

Can you UK guys order from Amazon.com, or is it a tax nightmare?

I mean, we can order from amazon.uk. I've done it a lot to get exclusive UK titles.

I would get clobbered by the bank for a foreign currency transaction, by HMRC for import duty and V.A.T. and by Royal Mail for collecting the duty and V.A.T. on behalf of HMRC.

At the end of the day I have interest only in the 5.1 DVD - the remaining items would be a waste of space for me, so it possibly might not be the best value transaction I would ever have made.

If need be I'll try to place an order jointly with a vinyl enthusiast from over the pond and have them send me the 5.1 DVD and retain the remainder.

All for Elliot Scheiner mixes of Key To The Highway, Have You Ever Loved A Woman & Layla!!!!

UK Duty and Tax should only be payable on goods with an intrisic value of £18 (i think the EU set the low value limit at 30 Euro) or more (i.e Exclude the postage costs).

If you get charged for Duty and Tax for goods of a lower value then its worth challenging.

I did with Fed Ex once and they refunded the duty and tax.

Back