Layla Box Set/5 discs/2 lp's/DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You probably used DVD Audio Extractor last time and it was playing tricks on you like it is doing to @northernsoul...haha😀.

You could be right. It seems that whenever I use DVD Audio Extractor I get something wacky, either the wrong bit depth, sample rate, or like this, odd channels. That's why even though I bought it long ago, I usually use it as a last resort.

You could be right. It seems that whenever I use DVD Audio Extractor I get something wacky, either the wrong bit depth, sample rate, or like this, odd channels. That's why even though I bought it long ago, I usually use it as a last resort.
It is a good last resort, but I stick too the others even if it means an extra step.

Just ripped the DVD and sure enough, it is clearly 5.1, so how I ended up with 5.0 before is beyond me. There's not much in the LFE but it IS there, for sure.

Here's a look at the entire DVD at 24/48, ripped with MakeMKV and then AudioMuxer

View attachment 54242
Man, those front channels look brickwalled. I love this album, and I've been trying to decide whether to shell out big bucks for the box in order to get Scheiner's surround mix, based on all the rave reviews here, but... doesn't the lack of dynamics on this disc bother anyone? I know, I know, use your ears not your eyes, but this just appears to be extreme limiting, that seems bound to affect the enjoyment for anyone sensitive to loudness compression.

I have the 2004 SACD of Layla, and while it might not be the world's greatest surround mix, I've always liked it, as a definite improvement over the original stereo, which (let's face it) never sounded that great anyway. Should I continue to be satisfied with it, in my ignorance, or does someone want to make a case for investing in the anniversary box to get the DVD? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Man, those front channels look brickwalled. I love this album, and I've been trying to decide whether to shell out big bucks for the box in order to get Scheiner's surround mix, based on all the rave reviews here, but... doesn't the lack of dynamics on this disc bother anyone? I know, I know, use your ears not your eyes, but this just appears to be extreme limiting, that seems bound to affect the enjoyment for anyone sensitive to loudness compression.

I have the 2004 SACD of Layla, and while it might not be the world's greatest surround mix, I've always liked it, as a definite improvement over the original stereo, which (let's face it) never sounded that great anyway. Should I continue to be satisfied with it, in my ignorance, or does someone want to make a case for investing in the anniversary box to get the DVD? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

It's unfortunate, I agree - but keep in mind it looks much worse zoomed out to the entire album vs. track-by-track. To my ears, the SACD actually sounds worse - and Scheiner's surround mix wipes the floor with the old Climie/Guzauski mix.

I hadn't opened that box since I got it. I forgot about how bizarre the box itself is. Pretty strange with the 3D pop up and all, and the way it opens. I can see how a lot of them got damaged in shipment. Heck, I never (and still haven't) cracked open the book or looked at any of the other stuff that came with it, because once again I opened it up, grabbed the DVD, ripped it, and put it right back on the "Shelf of Dollars"

As for the wav forms, yes, good point, that was a shot of the whole album, all 15 songs squeezed into one 800 pixel wide shot. While it is brickwalled to a point, it is not horrible. In fact, it sounds pretty nice.

So what is this box going for now, anyway? Seems like a missed op for them not to have released this mix at 24/96 on BluRay once the box sold out

I hadn't opened that box since I got it. I forgot about how bizarre the box itself is. Pretty strange with the 3D pop up and all, and the way it opens. I can see how a lot of them got damaged in shipment. Heck, I never (and still haven't) cracked open the book or looked at any of the other stuff that came with it, because once again I opened it up, grabbed the DVD, ripped it, and put it right back on the "Shelf of Dollars"

As for the wav forms, yes, good point, that was a shot of the whole album, all 15 songs squeezed into one 800 pixel wide shot. While it is brickwalled to a point, it is not horrible. In fact, it sounds pretty nice.

So what is this box going for now, anyway? Seems like a missed op for them not to have released this mix at 24/96 on BluRay once the box sold out

With that last line you spoke a mouthful, Jon. I didn't spring for the pricey box set but a QQ poster kindly made me a 96/24 DVD~A rip and on my Meridian 800 Reference player it sounds like a bona fide MLP DVD~A 5.1. Absolutely Astounds! Elliot Scheiner's phenomenol remix justly deserves a LOSSLESS BD~A 5.1....so what IS the hold~up?

With that last line you spoke a mouthful, Jon. I didn't spring for the pricey box set but a QQ poster kindly made me a 96/24 DVD~A rip and on my Meridian 800 Reference player it sounds like a bona fide MLP DVD~A 5.1. Absolutely Astounds! Elliot Scheiner's phenomenol remix justly deserves a LOSSLESS BD~A 5.1....so what IS the hold~up?

Starts with an "M" and ends with "orons"

I didn't buy it when it was released as I assumed it was the same mix as the SACD, the price being asked for it now on Discogs is nuts, 😬 if only I'd paid more attention at release time :LOL:

I didn't buy it when it was released as I assumed it was the same mix as the SACD, the price being asked for it now on Discogs is nuts, 😬 if only I'd paid more attention at release time :LOL:

Perhaps oneday, out of the blue, that brilliant Elliot Scheiner Layla remix will magically appear on a stand alone LOSSLESS BD~A .... just for me and YOU!

I used DVD-Audio Extractor to rip the Scheiner 5.1 to flac and it came out fine As 5.1. Listening to it right now. I can’t ever recall having had any of the issues with DVD-AE you mention.

As for the Scheiner mix...well, I’ll say he certainly threw more stuff in the rears...

Back