HiRez Poll Led Zeppelin - CELEBRATION DAY [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Led Zeppelin - CELEBRATION DAY

• Total voters
Old is usually better than the alternative. We place too much stock in the physical beauty of youth. Although I've dated people 15 or 20 years younger than me, I have dated more people my age or older. Everyone at any age has their own uniqueness and physical beauty, if we can appreciate it.

If you don't want to look at them, the Blu-Ray video works fine. Simply turn off your screen. Yet, you always have the option of seeing it, too.

Other than the investment value, I'm glad I didn't bother with the BD-A.

Although I've dated people 15 or 20 years younger than me, I have dated more people my age or older.

Quad Cougar :p

There is also some magic to the fallen heroes of music. Just imagine if John Lennon were still around. He probably would have fallen to the mediocrity that the rest of the Beatles settled into eventually.

There is some magic in never hearing these musicians "mature".

I personally am glad that Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison are immortilized in thier hedonistic party days. They have become immortal icons that appeal to every generation instead of guys creating mature thoughtful work as they slip into middle age and beyond.

And where would Elvis be? Probably crooning somewhere in Vegas or Branson.

It's better for your image to pass on at a young age.

I was just thinking, it may have been better if John lived long enough to break up with Yoko again so she wouldn't be able to milk the weeping widow thing for the rest of her life.

Quad Cougar :p

There is also some magic to the fallen heroes of music. Just imagine if John Lennon were still around. He probably would have fallen to the mediocrity that the rest of the Beatles settled into eventually.

There is some magic in never hearing these musicians "mature".

I personally am glad that Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison are immortilized in thier hedonistic party days. They have become immortal icons that appeal to every generation instead of guys creating mature thoughtful work as they slip into middle age and beyond.

And where would Elvis be? Probably crooning somewhere in Vegas or Branson.

It's better for your image to pass on at a young age.

Yet we overlook those artists who are still around who continue to challenge themselves and haven't once rested on their laurels.

David Bowie never stopped trying something new. Lou Reed never stopped trying. Robert Plant sure hasn't. There's plenty of folks whose contributions throughout, until the present day, I'm incredibly grateful for.

i don't think it wouldn't make any sense. recording of live performance should be supplied with surround mix,
appropriate to visual stuff. extremely agressive sound mix of the live concert, where main sound traditionally
up front, would be no less weird. if mix would be more adventurous than it is, then it could be with video as well.
separate BD-A would have the sense if recording were done in different setting without audience.
as for choises "stage/audience", that's perhaps could be AIX Records. but there mr.Waldrep uses studio recordings,
albeit in "live sessions"

I have to agree 100%.

Old is usually better than the alternative. We place too much stock in the physical beauty of youth. Although I've dated people 15 or 20 years younger than me, I have dated more people my age or older. Everyone at any age has their own uniqueness and physical beauty, if we can appreciate it.

If you don't want to look at them, the Blu-Ray video works fine. Simply turn off your screen. Yet, you always have the option of seeing it, too.

Yeh, I thought about it, and changed my mind. If given a choice I guess it would be better to have the bd v. I cancelled my order and changed it to that. Your right I can shut it off, if I choose to just listen, and consider it's the same mix.:phones

Yeh, I thought about it, and changed my mind. If given a choice I guess it would be better to have the bd v. I cancelled my order and changed it to that. Your right I can shut it off, if I choose to just listen, and consider it's the same mix.:phones

I went back and forth on this too. I originally pre-ordered the Blu Ray audio thinking it would be a different, better mix of the concert and not just a duplicate of the audio portion of the Blu Ray video. When others confirmed that it was no different from the Blu Ray video I decided to cancel, but I waited too long and it had already been shipped. I didn't want to bother shipping it back so I kept it. As I've given this more thought, a Blue Ray Audio only version of a concert on Blu Ray video makes no sense at all. Why would a consumer want to have just the audio without the option of watching the concert too? In retrospect, I think it was a waste of money. I should have gone for the video.
As far as the mix, it's a very standard live performance surround mix. Nothing wrong with it, but nothing particularly spectacular that the surround mix brings to the recording either. Ambience and applause in the rears gives it more presence than a stereo mix of the same recording, but in general, live surround mixes are not what got me interested in surround music.
Last of all, there is the performance itself. I think the musicianship is incredible. Jimmy Page still sounds great. The music is great to listen to, but being a fan of the early Zeppelin studio recordings (Zeppelin 1 -4), it really, really, really bugged me that they had to do other arrangements of some of the songs to accomodate the fact that Robert Plant can't hit those incredibly high falsetto notes any longer. In fact, I think it's been quite some time since he's been able to sing that way. I am so used to the studio versions of those albums that I found it really distracting to listen to the modified versions to fit Plant's vocals.
On songs where the original recording didn't have any vocals in that range, Plant sounded great. It's not that he sounded "bad" on songs like Black Dog, it was just not the version of the song that I enjoyed.
Because a Blue Ray Audio of a live concert makes no sense at all as well as the other factors, I give this a 6.

Hey Jon;

Will these Blu-Ray Audio discs play in my Acura 2012/TL/Tech/ELS?

Hey Jon;

Will these Blu-Ray Audio discs play in my Acura 2012/TL/Tech/ELS?

No. The current ELS does not know what a Blu-Ray disc is. Probably would just spit it out

... If you don't want to look at them, the Blu-Ray video works fine. Simply turn off your screen. Yet, you always have the option of seeing it, too.

I'm not absolutely sure but afaik the BD-V and the BD-A versions have 16 and 24 bit audio, respectively.

I don't know why you guys are so all against seeing them, I think that it's an INTEGRAL part of the whole thing...watching them onstage having fun!!!!
Jason is SUCH a killer drummer...

I checked it out. The BD-V definitely contains 16 bit audio streams. Probably the label wanted to keep the budget low with single-layer BDs and parallelly to milk this cow with a separate BD-A.

Back