HiRez Poll Led Zeppelin - HOW THE WEST WAS WON [DVD-A/Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Led Zeppelin - HOW THE WEST WAS WON

• Total voters
Does the Blu-ray have the same compression problems with the front channels, or just the DVD-A?

Just semantics...
It isn't that something was done to only the front channels in isolation. This mix just happens to be front heavy. (Actually, this one is also Lfe heavy. I think they directed a lot of bass to the Lfe instead of keeping the main bass content in the mains and just using the Lfe for headroom extension.) And then the mix was limited in order to boost the level up. The front channels and the Lfe are brick-walled as a result. It isn't just stepped on with that like a lot of CD releases. I don't think it's appropriate for 24 bit formats either mind you. But this master isn't bluntly damaging to the front channels in a way that alters the mix. It's just a front heavy mix and not really the kind of immersive surround mix a lot of us prefer. Still not so bad in the general scheme of things for a live mix. Blows the recent 5.1 mix of Song Remains The Same out of the water FWIW. That one is really front heavy and further sounds like complete shit! Harsh and crude. For me, the most distracting thing about this mix is all the edits! Heh, the commenters that don't like some of the still lengthy readings probably wish it was edited more.

Talking about the DVDA BTW. Sounded like the bluray was a carbon copy from what I've read (including all the edits) so I skipped it.

Have known the Zeppelin catalog literally my entire life, and this is a worthwhile addition. It shows that there's definite potential with Zep, and this was without the multitracked guitars of the studio records. It's criminal that this is really all we've got in surround from them, the mix is so conservative on Song Remains the Same that I can't in good conscience count it as surround.

That said, it's not great quality that they had to work with. DPLIIx *Movie* upmixing to 7.1 helped add clarity by removing a bit of mud from the mix.

Back