Led Zeppelin II multi-tracks to surround?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horndynamics

EVSD released a CD set of the multi-tracks for Led Zeppelin II. I'm curious if anyone has experimented with putting together a DIY mutli-channel mix?

Supposedly, FLAC, each track on a CD. Only four tracks of album though.

Led Zeppelin II Multitracks - Whole Lotta Love

01 Whole Lotta Love (Main Guitar)
02 Whole Lotta Love (Guitar Overdubs)
03 Whole Lotta Love (Bass)
04 Whole Lotta Love (Drums Right)
05 Whole Lotta Love (Drums Left)
06 Whole Lotta Love (Tympani / Tambourine)
07 Whole Lotta Love (Vocals)
08 Whole Lotta Love (Vocal Overdubs)

What Is And What Should Never Be

01 What Is And What Should Never Be (Main Guitar)
02 What Is And What Should Never Be (Bass)
03 What Is And What Should Never Be (Drum Right)
04 What Is And What Should Never Be (Drum Left)
05 What Is And What Should Never Be (Main Vocal)
06 What Is And What Should Never Be (Vocal Overdubs Take 1)
07 What Is And What Should Never Be (Vocal Overdubs Take 2)
08 What Is And What Should Never Be (Guitar and Vocals Overdubs)

Heartbreaker

01 Heartbreaker (Main Guitar Take 1)
02 Heartbreaker (Main Guitar Take 2)
03 Heartbreaker (Bass)
04 Heartbreaker (Drum Right)
05 Heartbreaker (Drum Left)
06 Heartbreaker (Guitar, Bass And Drums)
07 Heartbreaker (Vocals)
08 Heartbreaker (Vocals And Guitar)

Ramble On

01 Ramble On (Acoustic Guitar)
02 Ramble On (Electric Guitar)
03 Ramble On (Guitar Overdubs)
04 Ramble On (Bass)
05 Ramble On (Drum Right)
06 Ramble On (Drum Left)
07 Ramble On (Vocals)
08 Ramble On (Vocals And GUitar)

EVSD released a CD set of the multi-tracks for Led Zeppelin II. I'm curious if anyone has experimented with putting together a DIY mutli-channel mix?

This is fabulous news, though its only 4 songs!

It means maybe we are getting close to proper 5.1 remixes. Jimmy Page was a genius at "orchestrating" his guitar overdubs. A natural for 5.1.

What software tool would we use to mix the various tracks of the 4 released songs?

Each night I lie awake and drool over the prospect of Led Zeppelin - Presence done in 5.1.:banana:

Yes, unfortunately it is only for four songs :(

We mix with Adobe Audition with Windows. Be sure to download all the little extra software components listed in thread posts:

Audition 3 - now for free, legally!

This is one option: http://www.cirlinca.com/products.htm

There are Freeware options out there as well that can burn a Blu-Ray Hi-Rez audio disc onto a regular DVD. Although as I understand it, not all Blu-Ray players can playback AVCHD discs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD

Thank you, going to try this out this weekend!

The multis actually sound pretty cool. JPJ's bass in particular has a real aggressive, dirty sound to it.

I can't believe I just spotted this thread now. I got the multitrack files years ago over at Royal Orleans. I ended up making
my own quad mixes. I made two versions of Heartbreaker, each with a different guitar solo. The tracks seem to be mostly
alternate takes. I ended up with songs that were quite different from the official albums. I just wish there was more available.
Led Zeppelin doesn't seem to be interested in any surround releases of their studio albums.
I think my quad mixes turned out quite well, very discrete with mostly vocals and guitar in front and bass and drums in the rear.
I even took a crack at making one of the Heartbreaker and What Is and What Should Never Be guitar parts bounce counter-clockwise
around the room. Then I authored a Blu-ray because I like having menus and a picture on the screen when I'm listening.

I think good old Jimmy feels the hard stereo panning on the early albums is more them enough for his fan base 🤔

Yep, I've heard a couple of really good fan 5.1 attempts sourced from these stems. During the middle section of "Whole Lotta Love", there's all kinds of extra sounds that didn't make it into the original version. It's also cool hearing the cold ending instead of a fade-out.

How awesome would it be if Eddie Kramer got a shot at remixing II into 5.1?

Yep, I've heard a couple of really good fan 5.1 attempts sourced from these stems. During the middle section of "Whole Lotta Love", there's all kinds of extra sounds that didn't make it into the original version. It's also cool hearing the cold ending instead of a fade-out.

How awesome would it be if Eddie Kramer got a shot at remixing II into 5.1?

And the fidelity of the stems and the fan-made 5.1 is light-years better than the murky two-channel redbook CDs.

Back