Led Zeppelin News

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think Zep ever played live with a quad set up. I don't recall anything like that in Minneapolis in 1975. I believe Page was just pointing his bow at different points in the auditorium when he was doing that and it was mainly just up for effect.

They did have lasers, however. And a large "LED ZEPPELIN" sign up behind them which lit up brightly. Oh, and the aforementioned color wheel which operated during "Trampled Underfoot". It reminded me of the color wheels sold to light up aluminum Christmas trees. My grandparents had one.

Doug
If you listen to the ‘75 Pacific NW tour of Vancouver and Seattle shows some songs were definitely quad…I have family that saw 2 of those shows (1 in Vancouver and 1 in Seattle, there were 2 show in Vancouver sandwiched between 2 in Seattle) and definitely during MD and D&C there was sound emanating from all around

I have since listened to a couple of 75 bootlegs and part way through Moby Dick you can definitely hear the timpani fading out of the front left...then a fade signal in the right front, then back to full right front, then full left front etc.

I dunna think the review be fluff

Another excerpt form the book

View attachment 74461
How’s the book overall and where in Canada you from?

I have actually been a regular attendee at Led Zeppelin shows from 71 to 79 in the NY area (MSG & Nassau Coliseum). To the best of my knowledge they did not have a Quad Set up. The band that did have a Quad Setup and it was noticeable was Emerson Lake and Palmer. My 2¢

I have actually been a regular attendee at Led Zeppelin shows from 71 to 79 in the NY area (MSG & Nassau Coliseum). To the best of my knowledge they did not have a Quad Set up. The band that did have a Quad Setup and it was noticeable was Emerson Lake and Palmer. My 2¢
Maybe they used quad set up at specially chosen locations? Don’t really know. Lucky you that you were able to see them so many times!! Why not tell us some of your stories and memories from your Zep excursions😁

Video no longer available due to copyright claim. WTF? I sure hope this becomes available again soon through proper channels of course. Would be a shame to not be able to see that again.
Fortunately still available on the full stream, starting at around 23:47.

Maybe they used quad set up at specially chosen locations? Don’t really know. Lucky you that you were able to see them so many times!! Why not tell us some of your stories and memories from your Zep excursions😁
You had to ask. :) In 1972 at the Nassau Coliseum Led Zeppelin did a sound check as the people were filing in. it was an interesting look. Most people didn't realize it was Led Zeppelin. Zep used to play a Medley of Buddy Holly Songs, in the middle of the closer Whole lotta Love. They played 4 encores. Getting tickets at Ticketron was very difficult. In 1974 I waited unsuccessfully for 8 hours on line at the Local Macy's as the throngs of people nearly destroyed the store. Luckily one of my friends was able to score tickets. That happened all over NY. Following that mayhem the next years tickets were available via Mail in Lottery. Led Zep shows never started on time usually at least an hour Late. There was always some people bouncing around a Giant Ball for the people with the floor seats. Plant's Voice was Amazing, and at the beginning of each show he would alway scream Good Evening! As soon as the lights went down the room reeked of Pot. I have really rough recordings of most of the shows that I did myself. Check out the Link for a taste of what an early zep show was like (Check out near the 2 hour mark). Every show was a different experience.
LedZeppelin1972-06-14NassauColiseumUniondaleNY.asx

I don't recall ever seeing Zep with a quad sound system. I DO remember their sound always pretty much sucked.
Many things pretty discrete though, even the drums? Just completed a Moby Dick matrix of my "new" fairly distant 1969-11-07 Winterland tape and a much earlier source, and the differences in what is on the two tapes are pretty big. The earlier source is guitar and toms, and my tape is more room, kick, cymbals and snare.

When I bootlegged Led Zeppelin at Madison Square Garden years ago I taped over it... sounded so bad. I taped over my Madison Square Garden tape of Boston's first appearance there also but that's because I lost one of mics when I got into the garden. Zep were certainly loud but not quality. Another band that was really loud that I actually walked into the runway to get away from the sound was Blue oyster cult...they were a backup band for I don't remember who at the Garden.

You had to ask. :) In 1972 at the Nassau Coliseum Led Zeppelin did a sound check as the people were filing in. it was an interesting look. Most people didn't realize it was Led Zeppelin. Zep used to play a Medley of Buddy Holly Songs, in the middle of the closer Whole lotta Love. They played 4 encores. Getting tickets at Ticketron was very difficult. In 1974 I waited unsuccessfully for 8 hours on line at the Local Macy's as the throngs of people nearly destroyed the store. Luckily one of my friends was able to score tickets. That happened all over NY. Following that mayhem the next years tickets were available via Mail in Lottery. Led Zep shows never started on time usually at least an hour Late. There was always some people bouncing around a Giant Ball for the people with the floor seats. Plant's Voice was Amazing, and at the beginning of each show he would alway scream Good Evening! As soon as the lights went down the room reeked of Pot. I have really rough recordings of most of the shows that I did myself. Check out the Link for a taste of what an early zep show was like (Check out near the 2 hour mark). Every show was a different experience.
LedZeppelin1972-06-14NassauColiseumUniondaleNY.asx
Oh I know how Zep sounded live, saw them once in ‘71 and have a large collection of boots….maybe my favorite show would be LIVE ON BLUEBERRY HILL from L.A. Forum

When I bootlegged Led Zeppelin at Madison Square Garden years ago I taped over it... sounded so bad. I taped over my Madison Square Garden tape of Boston's first appearance there also but that's because I lost one of mics when I got into the garden. Zep were certainly loud but not quality. Another band that was really loud that I actually walked into the runway to get away from the sound was Blue oyster cult...they were a backup band for I don't remember who at the Garden.
I also BOC in the late 70's, and they sounded like total garbage. I was shocked....

Luckily for me I saw them earlier in the 70s at the Shrine I believe and they sounded fine.

If you listen to the ‘75 Pacific NW tour of Vancouver and Seattle shows some songs were definitely quad…I have family that saw 2 of those shows (1 in Vancouver and 1 in Seattle, there were 2 show in Vancouver sandwiched between 2 in Seattle) and definitely during MD and D&C there was sound emanating from all around
How can you tell from a boot if a show was quad? I’m not being a wise-ass, I just don’t know how one could differentiate - even if a boot is stereo - between panning between FR & FL and panning in quad.

Short of anything definitive literally mentioning a quad sound system - and not just some reviewer using the term generically and probably incorrectly - color me doubtful Led Zeppelin used a quad system live.

Last edited:
Thought Zeppelin's last shows in the US were 1977?

Back