HiRez Poll Legend, John - GET LIFTED [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of John Legend - GET LIFTED

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this disc! (y) :phones (n)

I just finished listening to this and all told, it's a very nice disc. The mix is good, and while I could wish for a little more action in the rears, the overall ambience is quite pleasant.

One thing that did strike me oddly, however, is that lead vocals are mixed to the center AND front left/right channels. Gives a rather overpowering vocal presence across the front of the soundstage, and I wound up boosting my rears by about 2dB to compensate.

I think "It Don't Have To Change" is cool in 5.1. Each one of the different family members comes from a different corner of the room.

Other then that it seems to be a mostly ambient mix. I certainly wouldn't describe it as aggressive.

As for the musical content, I really like this disk! I'm a huge fan of Classic Soul / R&B, and this disk is a welcome surprise! The only track I don't really care for is the one that features Kanye West (and is a total rip off of Curtis Mayfield.)

With so few modern R&B releases available in Multi-Channel, it's nice that one of the best of the genre was picked for release. I hope this is a trend that continues, as there are many other modern R&B releases I'd love to hear get the same treatment.

I would have prefered a more agressive mix. Not to say this one is bad, but it seems more like enhanced Stereo.

I'll give it a 7.

It's been a while since I last listened to this disc, so I'll wait before voting---though it will be a good one, methinks. What I do know is that, on my system, I had to adjust the subwoofer channel level down quite a bit before the bass stopped distorting. There's still plenty of bass to enjoy even after the adjustment, though. So I'm down with it!

It's been a while since I last listened to this disc, so I'll wait before voting---though it will be a good one, methinks. What I do know is that, on my system, I had to adjust the subwoofer channel level down quite a bit before the bass stopped distorting. There's still plenty of bass to enjoy even after the adjustment, though. So I'm down with it!

Has four years been a long enough time for me to properly evaluate this SACD? :eek:

Sometime after my initial post all those years ago, I came to the conclusion that I liked the music a lot more than I do the sound of this disc. It certainly doesn't impress with lots of whiz-bang effects, but on the other hand it doesn't offend. Unfortunately, the overall sound quality definitely feels less than "hi-rez" to me.

Still... it's some very good music! But I see very little reason for an SACD version. Let's give it a "3".

This disc has always positively surprised me and, eventually, this time it is no different. Wouldn't change a thing here! And if you think that this is an ambient mix, please think again - there's so much going on in the rears! Crank 'em up if you please, there's no way turning back to stereo, this version is simply legen - wait for it - dary.

An uplifting 8.

John Legend is a very talented song writer. if you're into hip hop, soul and jazz-funk you'll like this disk. The mix is good, loud but distortion-free with tons of low-end (it is hip hop after all). Your sub will get a decent workout. Plenty of dynamics to go around especially on the piano heavy tunes. I gave this one an 8. Again, if you're a fan of the genre you'll like this release.

This 2004 R&B album lovingly produced by Kanye West is, IMO, a thrill on multichannel SACD. An extremely clean production with just enough discrete rear elements, if you can find it on SACD [vs. lossy dualdisc] BUY IT. Ordinary People remains a classic! A most auspicious debut album from Mr. Legend. I gave it a 9.

Back