Legit HK Quad releases: Wing Hang Records

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winopener

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Hello,
looking for some information about a HK quad album weirdness i got, i've found no info but... discovered this label.

As far as i can understand:
1) quad releases of HK artist between 1973 and 1978
2) identified by the prefixes WHLP 10** or WLLP 9**
3) a third series WHLP 0** is on Philips HK label
4) marked as "4 channel" with no further info than i can verify
5) the one i have WHLP 055 seems to be sq encoded.

Seems there's no info at all on the Mark Anderson list about all that jazz.

Links on the label

https://www.discogs.com/label/389956-Wing-Hang-Records
and the two Philips releases

https://www.discogs.com/徐小鳳-龍虎兒女/release/12609583on Wing Hang

https://www.discogs.com/舒雅頌金唱片-舒雅颂金唱片/release/12969649on Philips

All I have ever seen on these is just the notation "4 Channel". The ones I know of are

WING HANG label Hong Kong

Xu Xiaofeng = Paula Tsui

WHLP-913 Paula Tsui -Paula Tsui -G Men 75. Wing Hang WLLP 913 (Format LP) [Hong Kong]

WHLP-1003 Paula Tsui -Happy World Where My Family. Wing Hang WHLP-1003 (Format LP) [Hong Kong]

WHLP-1005 Major 7 ‎–Sing Instrumental Hits. Wing Hang Records WHLP-1005 (Format LP) [Hong Kong]

WHLP-1007 Zhang Hui –The sigh of love is so sweet and live to the end. Wing Hang Records WHLP-1007 (Format LP) [Hong Kong]

WHLP-1011 Zhang Hui –The first episode of the melody of the melody of the new Zen courtyard. Wing Hang Records WHLP 1011 (Format LP) [Hong Kong]

WHLP-1013 Xu Xiaofeng –Love me in this day. Wing Hang Records WHLP 1013 (Format LP) [Hong Kong]

WHLP-1028 Cai Lizhen -Grand Village Hors De La Ville. Wing Hang Records WHLP-1028 (Format LP) [Hong Kong]

WHLP-1034 She Ah Soon-. Wing Hang Records WHLP-1034 (Format LP) [Hong Kong]

WHLP-1036 Jennie & Annie Chung ‎–Same. Wing Hang Records WHLP 1036 (Format LP) [Hong Kong]

WHLP-1041 Paula Tsui -Warm Desert Swallows. Wing Hang WHLP-1041 (Format LP) [Hong Kong]

WHLP-1044 Shu Yazhen –The same life bird. Wing Hang Records WHLP 1044 (Format LP) [Hong Kong]

WHLP-1048 Cai Lizhen, Zhang Hui, Cheng Kam Cheong -Fourteen. Wing Hang Records WHLP-1048 (Format LP) [Hong Kong]

WHLP-1050 PAULA TSUI -. Wing Hang Records WHLP-1050 (Format LP) [Hong Kong]

WHLP-1055 Bar Girl (1975) OST. WING HANG WHLP-1055 (Format LP) [Hong Kong]

WHLP-1058 Xu Xiaofeng –The story of the seaside. Wing Hang WHLP-1058 (Format LP) [Hong Kong]

WHLP-1060 Paula Tsui -Paula Tsui Gold Record. Wing Hang WHLP-1060 (Format LP) [Hong Kong]
MCLP-1061 Paula Tsui -Wing Hang Records MCLP-1061 (Format LP) [Hong Kong]

WHLP-1063 Paula Tsui -Paula Tsui Gold Record Second Series. Wing Hang WHLP-1063 (Format LP) [Hong Kong]

WHLP-? Paula Tsui -My Home Is In There. Wing Hang Records WHLP (Format LP) [Hong Kong]

WLLP-906 Liza Wang & Leong Tin -.Wing Hang WLLP-906 (Format LP) [Hong Kong]
WLLP-908 PAULA TSUI -Kamiotori. Wing Hang Records WLLP-908 (Format LP) [Hong Kong]
WLLP-909 Unknown Band. Wing Hang WLLP-909 (Format LP) [Hong Kong]
WLLP-910 Juan Xiu Zhen & Xie Lei -Love Hawaii. WING HANG WLLP-910 (Format LP) [Hong Kong]
WLLP-912 Winnie Cheung & Weiss Lo ‎– Same. Wing Hang Records WLLP 912 (Format LP) [Hong Kong]
WLLP-913 Paula Tsui –Raptors. Wing Hang Records WLLP-913 (Format LP) [Hong Kong]
WLLP-917 Joseph Tang-His Three Johnson-Alfie-Eddie Fantastic Brothers ‎–Instrumental Hits. Wing Hang Records WLLP-917 (Format LP) [Hong Kong]
WLLP-918 Paula Tsui -Linglong Tower, walk with me. WING HANG WLLP-918 (Format LP) [Hong Kong]
WLLP-920 PAULA TSUI -77 Golden Hits. Wing Hang Records WLLP-920 (Format LP) [Hong Kong]
WLLP-921 PAULA TSUI -. Wing Hang Records WLLP-921 (Format LP) [Hong Kong]
WLLP-922 Xun Ni, Feng Weizhen –Every time when changing. Wing Hang Records WLLP-922 (Format LP) [Hong Kong]
WLLP-925 PAULA TSUI -DaiToru. Wing Hang Records WLLP-925 (Format LP) [Hong Kong]
WLLP-922 FANNY WANG (Xun Ni & Feng Wei Tang) -WING HANG WLLP-922 (Format LP) [Hong Kong]
WLLP-927 PAULA TSUI -78 Xu Xiaofeng Cantonese Selected Songs. Wing Hang Records WLLP-927 (Format LP) [Hong Kong]
WLLP-928 Xu Xiaofeng –78 Second Golden Album Collection. Wing Hang Records WLLP-928 (Format LP) [Hong Kong]
WLLP-929 FANNY WANG -WING HANG WLLP-929 (Format LP) [Hong Kong]
WLLP-930 Pingwei Tang -. Wing Hang Records WLLP-930 (Format LP) [Hong Kong]
WLLP-932 Zhang Delan –Kushiro. NO 4-CHANNEL INDICATION ON COVER, END OF SERIES

PAULA TSUI had albums on Phillips, CBS/Sony so it made me wonder if these were pirates as she also had releases on Man Chi Records Co.

Then there are Leico Record & Haishan Records out of Taiwan that have some legitimacy with SQ, QS and 4 Channel notations of Taiwan artist that I have wondered about. I have about 500 to a thousand listings of different Taiwan recordings that could be legit or Pirate but not knowing the Artist and label history, etc. I have not come to a conclusion.
I have no idea if any of these that mention 4 channel are quad and I suspect it was just a marketing ploy and they are not encoded but Quad hardware under different names than we are familiar with were sold in Hong Kong & Taiwan.

Could it be that 4 channel refers to the number of tracks the master was recorded on?

Last edited:
ADAM CHENG & SUSANNA KWAN- Empress and the Warriors. Man Chi Records Co. S-MCLP 10215 (Format LP) [Hong Kong]
Only notation on the cover
ADAM - Empress and the Warriors. Man Chi Records Co. S-MCLP 10215 (Format LP) [Hong Kong]a.jpg

No notation on the disc label
ADAM - Empress and the Warriors. Man Chi Records Co. S-MCLP 10215 (Format LP) [Hong Kong]d.jpg

I have about 200 listings on this label that mention 4 channel.

3) a third series WHLP 0** is on Philips HK label
4) marked as "4 channel" with no further info than i can verify

Philips was a label used by HK PolyGram Records, which is today's HK Universal Music. HK PolyGram most often used the labels Philips and Polydor, although it has also used PolyStar and Fontana as well.

The "4 Channel" mark has interested me for a long time, ever since I got the below mini-LP CD (reissue of Paula '77 Golden Hits - Sony Austria CD pressing)

6586622217_7d6ef00c29.jpg

I couldn't find out any information. Some people told me the "4 Channel" mark is just gimmick to get someone to buy the record.

Last edited:
PAULA TSUI had albums on Phillips, CBS/Sony so it made me wonder if these were pirates as she also had releases on Man Chi Records Co.

Paula Tsui went from Wing Hang Records to HK CBS/Sony in the early 80s. Then in 1983, she signed with a local label called Contec Sound Media. By that time, she was probably the biggest female singer in HK. Contec Sound Media didn't last long and collapsed in late 1985. Paula Tsui then signed with HK PolyGram Records, but her releases were issued on the Polydor label....never on the Philips label. With the possible exception of a live concert recording that was reissued by HK Universal Music on HFPA, none of her albums were anything but stereo recordings. She stopped recording and stepped away from the industry in the mid 90s, only occasionally filling stadiums such as HK Coliseum or MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Back