Quantcast

Lennon 'Gimme Some Truth' 5.1 Audio Levels - DTS vs DD

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

ar surround

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Thanks to all for the comments. I wonder if anyone has considered ripping the 7.1 True HD stream and then combining the surrounds and rears in Audacity to see if the resulting 5.1 "downmix" is acceptable. I won't be able to try doing this until after Christmas.

(Based on playing around with the Abbey Road 7.1 True HD stream, the Oppo 205 won't play 7.1 FLAC. It will recognize 7.1 WAV, but the resulting mixdown to 5.1 is missing "stuff" in the surrounds.)

atomicdog

The Dolby Atmos stream included on the Blu-Ray includes a series of embedded 'core' audio streams to ensure compatibility for listeners with older equipment. If you have an older AVR that pre-dates Dolby Atmos, it will play back in 7.1 Dolby TrueHD. If you have an even older AVR that pre-dates Dolby TrueHD, it will play back in 5.1 Dolby Digital.
Much appreciated.

ssully

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
This post only pertains to the two 5.1 versions on the 2020 release John Lennon - Gimme Some Truth.
It has nothing to do with the Atmos or 7.1 tracks. Apparently, those are fine and awesome.
? hasn't that been shown *not* to be the case?
aiui, the only surround version shown not to have been compressed further in dynamic range is the DD 5.1 .

Correct or not?

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
? hasn't that been shown *not* to be the case?
aiui, the only surround version shown not to have been compressed further in dynamic range is the DD 5.1 .

Correct or not?
I have no idea really. I just keep hearing from "Atmos" equipped guys here that the Atmos is fine. I don't do Atmos, so I don't want to get caught up in that argument. I will stay with my nice little DD 5.1 rip of the thing and be happy.

jimfisheye

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
The Atmos mix may sound fine with nothing else to compare it to. There's still hi-fi sound in a general sense in the slammed mastering. It clearly has the same damage as the dts ma and stereo streams though. If we didn't have the original raw mix delivered to us in the dd stream to compare to, there'd be no way to see this and call this with no uncertainty like we can here. It would just present as a front heavy so-so mix. Still hitting more or less "pro" fidelity marks.

The 7.1 core of the Atmos mis is distorted to high hell exactly like the other damaged streams. That 7.1 core comes right out of the file set on the disc. This is not a file that is derived and written to memory or hard drive on the fly - what would need to be the case for it to get damaged in some form of operator error. The height and object elements are what get folded down on Atmos setups with less than the full array of height and object channels. The 7.1 core remains static and is delivered on the disc.

The "mastered" (quotes denote opinion) mixes are a good 12db or so louder than the dd stream. Use and understanding of a volume control feature is required here. :)

I'm just repeating myself now. The evidence is right here in the disc. You can examine and listen to all this too. Volume control use is required. Probably a computer based media center too. There's little chance of working the audio streams intentionally with stand alone hardware and certainly no way to A/B two things with volumes matched.

Seeing some of the responses to this one (a recall candidate if there ever was one)...
Maybe I'll start mastering mixes to -7 LUFS and just call it a day. 8 bit should be fine too. Don't worry, I'll put the final master in LPCM or dts ma on a bluray so nobody notices. :D
It's frustrating to realize I could 100% get away with something like that and probably get good reviews!

This is messed up too because the actual mix that snuck out in the dd stream is aledigedly what everyone says they want! A nice warm full blooded mix with just an much oomph in the rears as the front. Nothing shrill or hyped sounding.

Last edited:

jimfisheye

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
is it truly worthy of a recall? i mean, the label could argue the discs are not defective in that "they play ok", etc..
Oh yeah! If I was the mix engineer I'd be having an aneurysm! The content is in fact severely damaged and thus defective. It alters the mix drastically and puts it in a whole different league. (Cheap blow off corporate sounding.) The clearly unintentional inclusion of the actual undamaged mix there to call attention to it and reveal the whole thing seals the deal. There's no way to save face here in light of that.

Now, knowing how easy to please some listeners apparently are and how things end up working often enough, I wouldn't be surprised if they recalled it but instead of correcting it, replaced the raw mix with another destroyed copy for the dd stream just to hide the mistake!

I suppose to be fair, the client could have not liked the mix as turned in and requested the mastering engineer to make it loud and corporate sounding. Maybe we should be blaming Yoko for this!? Aha!

See why I'm asking for some actual accomplished Atmos mixes first before I go through the effort of hooking up more speakers? It's amateur hour right now aimed at movies and consumers with soundbars. LOUD is still in vogue.

Last edited:

EricKalet

600 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Oh yeah! If I was the mix engineer I'd be having an aneurysm! The content is in fact severely damaged and thus defective. It alters the mix drastically and puts it in a whole different league. (Cheap blow off corporate sounding.) The clearly unintentional inclusion of the actual undamaged mix there to call attention to it and reveal the whole thing seals the deal. There's no way to save face here in light of that.
I'll have to go back and listen to the DTS 5.1. Right now I'm playing the 7.1 Atmos and it sounds fine to me. But I'm no golden ear either.