Lennon 'Gimme Some Truth' 5.1 Audio Levels - DTS vs DD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
This post only pertains to the two 5.1 versions on the 2020 release John Lennon - Gimme Some Truth.
It has nothing to do with the Atmos or 7.1 tracks. Apparently, those are fine and awesome.

There was talk on the forum to put all of this info in one place, so I decided to create a new thread with screen caps of all 36 songs, so here we go. You can see with your own eyes that the difference between the DTS 5.1 and the DD 5.1 on many of the tracks is astonishing.

These screen caps are from the two indicated tracks on the BluRay in the chart below
MKV Lennon Bluray MH1.jpg

NOTE: The DTS-HDMA and DTS files have the same levels, so there was no need to include them in the comparison.

Here we go. These screen caps are from the audio workstation software 'Reaper'. In all cases, the audio from the Dolby Digital (6Ch) 48kHz (Lossy) is shown first, then the DTS-HDMA (6Ch) 24/96kHz (Lossless) audio follows.

01- Instant Karma - DD 5.1
01-Instant Karma DD.jpg

01- Instant Karma - DTS 5.1
01-Instant Karma DTS.jpg

02- Cold Turkey DD
02-Cold Turkey DD.jpg

02-Cold Turkey - DTS
02-Cold Turkey DTS.jpg

03- Working Class Hero DD
03-Working Class Hero DD.jpg

03- Working Class Hero DTS
03-Working Class Hero DTS.jpg

22- Steel and Glass DD
22- Steel and Glass DD.jpg

22- Steel and Glass DTS
22- Steel and Glass DTS.jpg

23 - Stand By Me DD
23- Stand By Me DD.jpg

23 - Stand By Me DTS
23- Stand By Me DTS.jpg

24- Angel Baby DD
24- Angel Baby DD.jpg

24 - Angel Baby DTS
24- Angel Baby DTS.jpg

Attachments

• 23- Stand By Me DD.jpg
    23- Stand By Me DD.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 188
  • 23- Stand By Me DD.jpg
    23- Stand By Me DD.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
So, above are all of the screen caps of the wav files. Now here is one last look.

I took the Dolby Digital INSTANT KARMA:
01-Instant Karma DD.jpg

Then I boosted the entire file by 8 dB:
01-Instant Karma DD plus 8dB.jpg

And now compare the above 8dB Boost with the DTS rip below:
01-Instant Karma DTS.jpg

IS IT THE SAME MIX??

It's too much for me. Just listen to the damn thing. My advice as I've stated earlier, if you only have 5.1, play the Dolby Digital 5.1. It's more balanced.

Jon Urban, Papa of QQ Forum, you've missed your calling. You should first and foremost become a BETA tester for ALL potential SURROUND RELEASES before they're committed to polycarbonate and catch ALL those NUMEROUS bugaboos in the RAW.

You'd become the ALPHA MALE of BETA TESTING and any crooked enterprise that DARES to release in LOSSY CODECS will be severely SCRUTINIZED!

Yours truly,

👂 👂 👂 👂

Thanks for taking the time to lay all this out! My only question is: if you were to highlight one of the DD 5.1 tracks, then go to Item -> Item Settings -> Normalize Items, would the result be the same as the DTS-HD?

You would get this (Instant Karma):
01-Instant Karma DD normalized.jpg

DTS
01-Instant Karma DTS.jpg

Back