Lennon 'Gimme Some Truth' 5.1 Audio Levels - DTS vs DD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find that I play the Atmos (7.1 DTHD in my case) at the same (80DB peaks) volume as the DTS. The DD has to be cranked quite a bit more and to me doesn't sound as good loud as the Atmos does at the 80DB peak level. The Atmos is the best of them all. Even better than when I expand the DTS or DD from 5.1 to 7.1 using Audacity. I don't mind playing at this lower volume as it will help to keep these 67 year old ears in top shape.

I could use a little bit of advice here. As recommended by others, I am trying to rip the lossy 5.1 DD tracks from MakeMKV using DVD AudioExtractor. DVD AudioExtractor gives me the following three choices:

Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 6.19.06 PM.png

I do not see the lossy DD stream listed. I ripped one track of the "TrueHD (48kHz 6Ch)" layer, but it gives me a 7.1 output which the Oppo 205 cannot handle:

Stand By Me.png

Any suggestions as to why the DD layer is not presented as a choice in DVD AudioExtractor? Thanks.

I could use a little bit of advice here. As recommended by others, I am trying to rip the lossy 5.1 DD tracks from MakeMKV using DVD AudioExtractor. DVD AudioExtractor gives me the following three choices:

I don't think you can access them with DVDAE. Go into AudioMuxer ("Extract Audio From Blu-Ray) and you should see the lossy AC3 core listed below the Atmos/7.1 lossless stream.

Goats Head AudioMuxer.jpg

I don't think you can access them with DVDAE. Go into AudioMuxer ("Extract Audio From Blu-Ray) and you should see the lossy AC3 core listed below the Atmos/7.1 lossless stream.

View attachment 61043

Thanks. But I'm doing my own workaround. On two tracks that I checked, Channels 7 and 8 of the 7.1 True HD do not have much content. So I mixed those two channels into the surrounds using Audacity. The resultant 5.1 mix, at least on these two songs, sounds just like the Atmos downmixed to 5.1. This way I get to keep the ripped tracks in high res as opposed to AC3.

Thanks. But I'm doing my own workaround. On two tracks that I checked, Channels 7 and 8 of the 7.1 True HD do not have much content. So I mixed those two channels into the surrounds using Audacity. The resultant 5.1 mix, at least on these two songs, sounds just like the Atmos downmixed to 5.1. This way I get to keep the ripped tracks in high res as opposed to AC3.
If you really want to get the un-butchered 5.1, you'll need to extract the 5.1 core. I'm not familiar with AudioMuxer, but I have extracted the 5.1 core with ff works on a mac. For example, this is the 5.1 core (top) and 7.1 TrueHD (bottom) for Instant Karma where you can see they boosted the amplitude to the max only for the 7.1
Instant Karma 5.1 DD.JPG
Instant Karma 7.1 TrueHD.JPG

If you really want to get the un-butchered 5.1, you'll need to extract the 5.1 core. I'm not familiar with AudioMuxer, but I have extracted the 5.1 core with ff works on a mac. For example, this is the 5.1 core (top) and 7.1 TrueHD (bottom) for Instant Karma where you can see they boosted the amplitude to the max only for the 7.1
View attachment 61100View attachment 61101

Technically not a core. It is a separate track. Considering it is different, it would have to be...

Back