HiRez Poll Lennon, John - GIMME SOME TRUTH (The Ultimate Remixes) [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of John Lennon - GIMME SOME TRUTH (The Ultimate Remixes)

• Total voters
Gave it an 8.

Mainly because I'm a Lennon fan (Lenin 2) . I don't have Atmos even though I had the chance to buy an upgrade Yamaha Receiver , bugger all those xtra speakers ! Imho. So I spent my $ and Bought another Yamy 5.1 , so there !!
5 channel will do for my hearing tastes.

So I've listened to these songs in both DTS and Dolby Digital . It's too bad they screwed up the DTS , probably a deliberate act in order to promote Dolby .
But you certainly get your money's worth with all these Lennon tunes in 5.1 (or Atmos for those who care).

In Dolby Digital I play it almost regularly , occasionally I'll swith to DTS though. The early Lennon songs are worthwhile listening to in surround.
And one of my favourite tunes is one of his later ones "Nobody Told Me" and so is "Just Like Starting Over".
I am with you, fizzy. I was hesitant to say it because I am already looking like a luddite running 4.0, with no center channel and no .1. I have a sub that is line between the pre-amp and the power amps so there is still sub and I can control the rolloff on the sub. But that aside, I have a hard time imagining spraining for all the Atmos gear/speakers and tweaking it all in my 92 year old house. But then I have never heard one set up correctly...

I listened twice in Dolby Atmos. I was expecting that most of the Plastic Ono Band / Imagine tracks weren’t very discrete. For the Imagine album, I listen to the raw 5.1 mixes blu ray on the Imagine box set. Cold Turkey and How do you Sleep have nice discrete mixes though. From Angela on all the rest of the tracks on the blu ray, the Dolby Atmos mix is very discrete with lots going on in the rear speakers. A little bass heavy on #9 Dream though. A 9 vote for me.

Last edited:
I counted 23 tracks that have active discrete surround mixes with lots of rear speaker action. Excluding most of the early songs, 23 tracks is a lot of great surround music for $56 dollars currently using Amazon Prime. I am pleasantly surprised and happy with this release.

i am waiting for my copy to be delivered...will vote; in the meantime anybody listened to the 4 or 2 vinyl edition? how is the press? thanks

I'm a bit puzzled. We already have the classic collection legend on DVD. Sounded right to me. With this more modern release I'd expect a huge improvement but mixes aren't that revolutionary. Well of course now we have all tracks in hi res and some like come together and grow old with me are appreciated bonuses. But Lennon's music doesn't sound very Atmos friendly. I think I still prefer 5.1, and many remixes on this blu-ray sound too bass heavy for his genre. I feel his music as "voice and piano" , listening for example to imagine in Atmos I feel like they forced that song into those discrete channels. The strings played through height speakers sound to me like "we did it, you see? Now you hear Lennon from đź’Ż speakers". But I think multichannel mixes should give you an alternative presentation of music, not remixing just because it's the trend of the moment...
7 (7 for me is a good vote, don't get me wrong)

Last edited:
John Lennon
Give Me Some Truth, 2020 ATMOS
BluRay

As mentioned by a number of posters, many of John's songs are sparse, but the fidelity of this collection is amazing!
I listened to it in 7.1.4 ATMOS and while it certainly can't be called adventurous, I was encased in a well composed sonic field which made even the lightest track more enjoyable.

Surround 8 (2.4) Not adventurous but more enjoyable than just a stereo mix.
Audio 9 (2.7) The fidelity is outstanding and every track is clear and easy to listen to.
Content 9 (2.7) While I am no means a Lennon aficionado, this is an outstanding selection across his body of work.
Package 9 (.9) 2 CD, BR and a book for a fraction of the price of a Rush or Beatles box.

8.7 rounds to 9

Last edited:
Back