HiRez Poll Lennon, John - GIMME SOME TRUTH (The Ultimate Remixes) [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of John Lennon - GIMME SOME TRUTH (The Ultimate Remixes)

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
To Comments.png

Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2020 compilation from John Lennon entitled "Gimme Some Truth - The Ultimate Remixes".
This new 2CD/Blu-Ray set features new stereo, 5.1 surround, and Dolby Atmos mixes of 36 of John Lennon's best songs.
The Dolby Atmos mix is also available to stream on all Dolby Atmos streaming providers.
https://music.apple.com/us/album/gimme-some-truth-deluxe-edition/1527740882
(y) :) (n)

81Yxgl6TxrL._SL1500_.jpg

616eVX4Nj4L._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
I gave it an 8 and I'm certainly glad I bought it. (For comparison, I gave Abbey Road 50th Anniversary Atmos mix a 10).

This is essentially a John Lennon greatest hits album (post Beatles) remixed/remastered for surround sound in the 21st century. Really like it. The mix is somewhat conservative and respectful to Lennon's originals. But the tracks sound really nice and moderately immersive.

I have an Atmos 5.1.4 setup with the x.x.4 being Dolby Atmos enabled upfiring speakers. I am not getting any sound from my front Atmos upfiring speakers. I am getting sound from my rear upfiring speakers. I've verified my system is working properly with other Atmos content. as well as Atmos test tones.

I've only listened to the Atmos mix. (On a few tracks, I switched from Atmos to the DTS-HD MA 5.1 mix and back on the fly. To me, the Atmos mix sounds slightly more immersive and spacious). The Atmos mix is very clean with the sound stage towards the front. The use of side surrounds and rear upfiring speakers is constant/pleasant but no whiz bang effects. Perhaps if I were the mixing engineer, I would have tried a more "spacey" in the clouds Atmos effect with #9 Dream (one of my all time favorite tunes). However, I'm not complaining about it.

I'm a big Lennon fan. In fact, I listened to Sean Lennon's special on BBC Radio 2 this weekend "John Lennon at 80". So I'm glad I added John Lennon's Gimme Some Truth. The Ultimate Mixes (Deluxe Box Set) to my library just in time for John's (and my Dad's) birthday on October 9th.

Last edited:
Initial impressions are this... surround is nice, fidelity is even better. The older tracks are more spacial and just ambient surround. For me, "#9 Dream" and later (mostly the Double Fantasy stuff) sound incredible and are very active surround mixes. "(Just Like) Starting Over" was a wonderful energetic opener, the surround mix being just right, "Watching the Wheels" (possibly my all time fave JL solo track) was enveloping and wonderful. "Dear Yoko" was the most active so far and really fantastic. More to come as I continue my listen.

I think it's a fine, discrete mix, definitely active in the rears...as Strillo says some of the older tracks are spacial but very well done, there isn't really an awful lot can be done with the sparse instrumentation of these. The fidelity is great and the tracks from Imagine have new mixes, more activity in the rear speakers than the previous mixes had in the Imagine set from a couple of years back. Beautiful presentation too.

Another home run for us surround/immersive and high res fans! John Lennon - Gimme Some Truth is marvelous! 36 of Lennon’s best stuff in Atmos or 5.1 DTS-MA. (Stereo as well 96/24). And it’s very discrete!! I’ve listened to the first 4 tracks and bounced around a bit. Jealous Guy lights the board up all around, Lennon whistles and it makes you feel he’s right there with you. Instant Karma gives you all the grit and Watching The Wheels has nice tight punchy bass and really good use of the surrounds. Just scratching the surface here...but this is a 10!
1FE8F6C8-C251-49A5-BF13-5D556C8B0A76.jpeg

Well well! What a surprise. This reminds me of Sgt Pepper where there's not particularly much happening in the DTS mix but there's a good bit more in the rears with the Dolby.

With this I was very underwhelmed with the DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1. There are occasional bits and pieces in the rears, but they're sparse. I was preparing to award it a 4.

Switch to Atmos and it's completely different. There's loads going on in the rears (I have just a 5.0 set up - Oppo UDP 205 player) and it sounds dramatically more to my liking. A smidgen less clear maybe, but a lot more immersive. A 10 maybe?

Look guys this disc is probably as good as any, but as mentioned earlier with just Lennon and a guitar some tracks will not use full zinging surrounds. Clarity is wonderful , Johns voice is so clear im on my second listen and I LOVE it . By the way all 4 height speakers have sound. Im voting a 10 Packaging is perfect songs are great most of them first time listen.

How much content in 5 & 6 in the 7.1? How much content in 7 & 8? How do 5 & 6 in the 7.1 compare with 5 & 6 in the 5.1? Imagine would be an ideal candidate for the comparison.

Imagine - Imagine 5.1 dts: Lennon, drums mainly in center, Piano starts in center and then is open up to and balanced across L, C, R and is ambient in the surrounds. Strings in surrounds.

Imagine - GST 7.1 Atmos downmix: Lennon is more forwardly placed, seems to be imaged to be in front of you (listening position) rather than dead center, a touch of reverb in surrounds. Piano starts in center and then is opened up and balanced across L, C, R. Drums balanced across L, C, R. Bass is deeper, punchier. Overall song fuller with surrounds filling in ambiance and the strings are more detailed in surrounds.

Bad news... the 5.1 really isn't discrete. Nor is it upmixed. Just lots of reverb/ambience in the rears. Very disappointing.

EDIT: I should say, I don't have a Atmos set up, only 5.1
You really shouldnt vote until you can here this in Atmos, it is Night and day better than the 5.1

So according to the John Lennon webpage, and now it makes sense why the Imagine tracks do have a different sound quality and mix:

“Mixed and engineered by multi GRAMMY® Award-winning engineer Paul Hicks, who also helmed the mixes for 2018’s universally acclaimed Imagine – The Ultimate Collection series, with assistance by engineer Sam Gannon who also worked on that release, the songs were completely remixed from scratch, using brand new transfers of the original multi-tracks, cleaned up to the highest possible sonic quality.

After weeks of painstaking preparation, the final mixes and effects were completed using only vintage analog equipment and effects at Henson Recording Studios in Los Angeles (formerly A&M Studios, where John had recorded some of the Rock ‘n’ Roll album), and then mastered in analog at Abbey Road Studiosby Alex Wharton in order to ensure the most beautiful and authentic sound quality possible.”

Just an update after the second listen. I absolutely Love this album, why have I waiting this long to listen to John Lennon. For me the mix couldnt have been done better. Favourite track by far is "Bless You", sounds like an old 70s Soul classic (Love it ). If I could would change my vote to 10+

I lOVE it.....all of it.
Smashing book.
Tastefully done.
Very good surround mix, especially in Atmos.
And to top it off, 36 tracks of the great John Lennon baring his soul.
I applaud the effort put into the clarity, fidelity and overall sound.

A highly deserved 10, from this happy listener.

Last edited:
Back