Comments Inspired by Lennon, John - GIMME SOME TRUTH (Ultimate Remixes) [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ar surround

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
To Poll .png

It would be interesting to know how the 5.1 mixes compare to Lennon Legend and Imagine. Specifically, are they more adventurous, the same, etc. Also, how does the fidelity compare to the Lennon Legend DTS? A number of the early tracks on that disc have a rather "dirty" sound to them. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be interesting to know how the 5.1 mixes compare to Lennon Legend and Imagine. Specifically, are they more adventurous, the same, etc. Also, how does the fidelity compare to the Lennon Legend DTS? A number of the early tracks on that disc have a rather "dirty" sound to them. Thanks.

Yes me too. Some of us don't have atmos , so to me this is a prioity.
And So obviously I want to know about the 5.1 mix as well. :)

Well well! What a surprise. This reminds me of Sgt Pepper where there's not particularly much happening in the DTS mix but there's a good bit more in the rears with the Dolby.

With this I was very underwhelmed with the DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1. There are occasional bits and pieces in the rears, but they're sparse. I was preparing to award it a 4.

Switch to Atmos and it's completely different. There's loads going on in the rears (I have just a 5.0 set up - Oppo UDP 205 player) and it sounds dramatically more to my liking. A smidgen less clear maybe, but a lot more immersive. A 10 maybe?

*Interesting*. I'd love to hear if more people agree that the Dolby is a significantly better surround experience -- it would help me decide whether or not to buy the set (I've been concerned that it'd be the unimpressive surround of Hicks' previous Lennon work).

Thank you. You are a Gentleman. You really need to upgrade to Atmos this disc is worth the upgrade.
No problem mate! I take the point about the poll being ruined AND that it should be two different polls and I APOLOGISE. But I stand by my initial comments about a general lack of discreet panning and just ambience.... and yes I DO need to upgrade to Atmos. As soon as I have a job again ;-(

So according to the John Lennon webpage, and now it makes sense why the Imagine tracks do have a different sound quality and mix:

“Mixed and engineered by multi GRAMMY® Award-winning engineer Paul Hicks, who also helmed the mixes for 2018’s universally acclaimed Imagine – The Ultimate Collection series, with assistance by engineer Sam Gannon who also worked on that release, the songs were completely remixed from scratch, using brand new transfers of the original multi-tracks, cleaned up to the highest possible sonic quality.

After weeks of painstaking preparation, the final mixes and effects were completed using only vintage analog equipment and effects at Henson Recording Studios in Los Angeles (formerly A&M Studios, where John had recorded some of the Rock ‘n’ Roll album), and then mastered in analog at Abbey Road Studiosby Alex Wharton in order to ensure the most beautiful and authentic sound quality possible.”
So I guess 2018 gave us the Ultimate Mixes and 2020 brought us the Super-Ultimate Mixes.

I have already pre-ordered the 2022 Uber-Ultimate Mixes. :)

Back